This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can someone give me a good reason why windows 8 sucks?

#71doctoglethorpePosted 12/31/2013 7:49:01 PM
Forces Metro on you, if you won't like it then its bad, simple.

Most people don't hate it though, we just find it a largely irrelevant upgrade that isn't worth spending money on as Metro is the only significant thing it changes and we don't plan on using that.
#72dormcastePosted 12/31/2013 7:58:37 PM
I don't like the new start interface.
#73hotgamerPosted 12/31/2013 8:04:00 PM
Because I have Windows 7 and upgrading to Windows 8 isn't worth the price and the performance boost is the performance boost people claim it has is actually pretty small and there isn't that much of a difference.
---
Trying to contain the chaos is futile.
#74Majoras_pantsPosted 12/31/2013 8:06:41 PM
Windows 8 is fine. It's just not that much better than 7, not really worth an upgrade.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#75ZerabpPosted 12/31/2013 8:26:05 PM
I don't like it, which for me is a good reason. If you like it use it, it's all subjective anyways.
---
XBL Gamertag:SentinelZ PSnetwork ID: SentinelZ
"Bloody wars are easier to survive than idiots with ballots. " Neal Boortz
#76Devil_wings00Posted 12/31/2013 8:47:50 PM
doctoglethorpe posted...

Most people don't hate it though, we just find it a largely irrelevant upgrade that isn't worth spending money on as Metro is the only significant thing it changes and we don't plan on using that.

Exactly. It's such a minor difference and most of the improvements effect me in no way what so ever so why on earth would I drop 100 bucks on windows 8?

The better boot times are irrelevant, I use an SSD and my W7 machine takes 10 seconds to be usable...oh boy what will it be 8 seconds on windows 8? I don't care lol As for gaming performance from the many sites I've seen it's a pretty small overall effect if any on most games. Also the aesthetics of the UI are pretty gross IMO I understand I can get rid of it but it's one of the biggest touted improvements and I will absolutely never take advantage of it.

Also I have used windows 8. I used the beta thing at home when it was still good and I had a work computer that had it for a while. Nothing it does is worth the money it costs to upgrade for myself. If I end up with it on a future machine I won't complain but I'm not going out of my way to get it either. Maybe it's different for others but for me it's a side grade more then a full blown upgrade from 7.
---
3570k @ 1.260v - 4.6Ghz
GTX 580 SLI
#77steveboblarryPosted 12/31/2013 8:49:35 PM
Devil_wings00 posted...
doctoglethorpe posted...

Exactly. It's such a minor difference and most of the improvements effect me in no way what so ever so why on earth would I drop 100 bucks on windows 8?

The better boot times are irrelevant, I use an SSD and my W7 machine takes 10 seconds to be usable...oh boy what will it be 8 seconds on windows 8? I don't care lol As for gaming performance from the many sites I've seen it's a pretty small overall effect if any on most games. Also the aesthetics of the UI are pretty gross IMO I understand I can get rid of it but it's one of the biggest touted improvements and I will absolutely never take advantage of it.

Also I have used windows 8. I used the beta thing at home when it was still good and I had a work computer that had it for a while. Nothing it does is worth the money it costs to upgrade for myself. If I end up with it on a future machine I won't complain but I'm not going out of my way to get it either. Maybe it's different for others but for me it's a side grade more then a full blown upgrade from 7.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED WINDOWS 8 FANBOYS, SOME OF US HAVE AN SSD!!!!!
---
"Why let the modding community do it, when we can sell it to you?"
yours truly, EA.
#78locky723(Topic Creator)Posted 12/31/2013 8:57:39 PM
hotgamer posted...
Because I have Windows 7 and upgrading to Windows 8 isn't worth the price and the performance boost is the performance boost people claim it has is actually pretty small and there isn't that much of a difference.

Here's what I don't get: if you can get a upgrade for say $15 or even FREE, why would you want to get 7? It's kinda pointless in my opinion
#79Lord-SpencerPosted 12/31/2013 8:59:12 PM
Well for me, I use two Dell laptops, one with Windows 7 and another with Windows 8. In simple terms, I much prefer the 7, although I don't completely dislike the 8.

The 8 has a number of really weird design decisions where looking for anything takes one or two minutes more than 7, which might be mostly due to my own inexperience with it. However, this only one issue I have with it. Other issues include:

1- The internet connection for some reason routinely becomes "limited" which does not happen with any device in the house. I have no idea why this happens and have tried to solve it a number of times with little results.

2- Library management is cumbersome and unintuitive.

3- Finding anything is seriously messed up, I rather hunt for a physical calculator in the house than the one in the laptop.

4- Solitaire, Minesweeper, Free Cell, and Hearts are nowhere to be found.

Other than these factors, 8 is not as bad as the Vista, but if left to my own, I would downgrade to the 7 (which I am not sure I legally can).
#80kocrachonPosted 12/31/2013 9:02:30 PM(edited)
To everyone who complains about metro or the stupid interface. Download "Start8" problem solved. Turns WIndows 8 into a Windows 7 desktop environment. Problem solved.

Not to mention, all new DX will only support Windows 8, and AMDs new Graphics API is going to require Windows 8 as well I believe.

Not to mention is has a performance increase if you are using an SSD and a EFI mobo that windows 7 cannot obtain.

All in all I find 8 to be better once you use Start8 to fix the startup menu.
---
Intel i5 4670k at 4.6ghz, ASUS R9 280X DirectCU II, CORSAIR Vengeance 16gb, Samsung Evo 840 250gb SSD.