This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any point and click that is not too wacky and esoteric?

#1NeninaPosted 12/31/2013 3:59:09 PM
Actually, I don't mind wacky if it's done well.

What I mean by esoteric: Last month I played Beneath a Steel Sky and I was supposed to corrupt the meat and then freeze it before before dropping it into the monster's mouth. By then, I had already looked up a FAQ. That's what I mean. I've heard that in Monkey Island you are supposed to use a chicken on a wire to get somewhere. This does not make sense, and would only serve to make my try everything on everything.

Then I got L.A. Noire, and like the way they did things, and driving was optional. Any point and click games that would make a bit more sense like L.A. Noire, but any genre of story?
#2Zohar_MetatronPosted 12/31/2013 5:07:25 PM
WadjetEye's games (The Shivah, the Blackwell series, Resonance, Primordia), usually. Dave Gilbert tends to try and avoid adventure-game-logic.

If you have a DS, or I believe the first few are on iOS/Android, the Ace Attorney series. Entirely logical for the most part, though with places where the game will outright refuse to accept the correct line of thinking if you're not doing it in the very specific order it wants.
---
By Grabthar's Hammer, what a savings.
#3ShubPosted 12/31/2013 5:10:10 PM
Have you played The Walking Dead? The game is chiefly story-driven and the pointing and clicking childishly easy, so if you just want something to chill and watch more than to actually play, it's a good bet.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#4gism1337Posted 12/31/2013 5:35:02 PM
toonstruckkkkkkk
---
ASUS M4A79T Deluxe | Phenom II X4 955 | 4GB DDR3 | EVGA GTX 470 | Corsair 600w | W7 64-bit
#5QUIKPosted 12/31/2013 5:51:02 PM
Grim Fandango or Full Throttle
#6AsellusPosted 12/31/2013 6:07:27 PM
The Telltale Sam and Max games? They're wacky but usually pretty good about avoiding being esoteric.
#7jokujokujokuPosted 12/31/2013 6:24:25 PM
Nenina posted...
I've heard that in Monkey Island you are supposed to use a chicken on a wire to get somewhere. This does not make sense, and would only serve to make my try everything on everything.

The chicken has a pulley in the middle so it makes perfect sense. Well, it doesn't make sense that a rubber chicken would have a pulley in the middle, but given that you have one, it makes sense to use it on the wire.

That's not to say the Secret of Monkey Island doesn't have its 'try everything on everything' moments (I never would have gotten past the dogs if I hadn't looked it up), but the puzzle you brought up wasn't one of them.
#8YombieePosted 12/31/2013 6:49:33 PM
Gemini Rue

Kentucky Route Zero
#9g7g7g7g7Posted 12/31/2013 8:04:34 PM
If you think BASS is bad try out Day of the tentacle, it will seriously mess you up.
---
You never see people quoting each other in sigs anymore. - Adam Laz
#10akuma634Posted 12/31/2013 8:19:21 PM
The point of a lot of those games is to think within the reality of the game world. The Leisure Suit Larry games got very crazy with the puzzles like in 6 you need to get some items from a pool but you need a swimsuit. You end up using floss and an embarrassingly small wash cloth to create a makeshift thong.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634