This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What are the differences between all the old X-COM games?

#1myusernameislamePosted 1/1/2014 12:53:50 PM
After really liking Enemy Unknown/Within, and hearing good things about the old games, I'd like to snag them to close out the Steam sale, but even though the bundle seems like a good deal, I've heard that you really only need to play the first one because they're all pretty similar and/or it's the best. Can someone knowledgeable of all 5 give me the short version of what they each have going for them?
---
http://www.grenadetreegames.com/
#2capgamerPosted 1/1/2014 1:04:23 PM
I haven't played all of them, but here's how it is as I understand:

XCOM: Ufo Defense - The first game and the one most people consider the best

X-COM: Enforcer - A shooter of some sort. I haven't heard good things about it but honestly I've never booted it up cause it looked pretty bad.

X-Com: Interceptor - A space shooter. I have not heard anything about this one, so it might be okay. I don't know.

X-COM: Terror from the Deep - Kind of like a re-skin of UFO Defense. It takes place underwater and the technology is underwater-themed, but I think it's basically the same as the first game... just underwater.

X-COM: Apocalypse - This game takes place in a city and lets you blow up big buildings and stuff. It's a strategy game similar to Terror from the Deep and UFO Defense. Haven't tried it yet. It has a real-time combat mode, which I've heard is not good.
---
The man keeps us down
because he likes to see us frown
#3myusernameislame(Topic Creator)Posted 1/1/2014 1:54:10 PM
Any other input. It sounds like I only need to bother with UFO Defense.
---
http://www.grenadetreegames.com/
#4WeaponX1138Posted 1/1/2014 4:13:51 PM
Chaos FTMFW!
---
Figuring things out for yourself is practically the only freedom anyone really has nowadays. Use that freedom. STEAM ID: Silentmark1138
#5FroakiePosted 1/1/2014 4:22:32 PM
I've only played UFO Defense and I love the game so much.
---
http://i.imgur.com/EPGPNKk.jpg
wufei8706
#6MahoganyTooth92Posted 1/1/2014 4:24:12 PM
myusernameislame posted...
Any other input. It sounds like I only need to bother with UFO Defense.

I hear TFTD is very similar to UFO defense. So you should bother with that as well.

Although I'd recommend you just get OpenXCom right after buying UFO Defense. It fixes many of the games problems.
---
"I'm amazed TC is still posting. It's not your everyday run of the mill stupidity. This is advanced stupidity." -nickizgr8
#7FallowHorizonPosted 1/1/2014 4:34:11 PM
UFO Defense & Terror From the Deep are both very much worth playing. Apocalypse is hit or miss - it's different in many ways from the first two, but is worth giving a shot imo. Enforcer and Interceptor can both be safely ignored.
---
Abandoning our oath to the sword, another victim lost to the leaf.
I think I'll stay for a while. Lotus leaves, taste so, so sweet.
#8ElDudorinoPosted 1/1/2014 4:39:00 PM
TFTD is in some ways "better" than the original Enemy Unknown / UFO Defense because it introduces a few cool new features like melee weapons, but it also has some drawbacks such as tedious two-part terror missions, increased reliance upon molecular (mind) control at enemy bases, and you can also break the game and make it unwinnable by researching things in the wrong order. I like the first game better, but only by a small margin.

X-Com Apocalypse was decent enough at the time but strangely hasn't aged as well as the others despite having a "newer" interface that's a bit more functional once you get to learn it. The combat can be played real-time or turn-based but, like all games with two battle systems, neither is great and only one is worthwhile. You'll end up playing the game in real-time only, and firefights will actually be a bit tedious as you'll find yourself more inclined to take up positions behind cover and just spray and pray. It has way more tech to research and equip and vehicle types, as well as some game mechanics that didn't exist previously such as the ability to raid friendly buildings to steal their equipment if you're a jerk.

Never play Interceptor or Enforcer.
#9SinisterSlayPosted 1/1/2014 4:48:16 PM(edited)
capgamer posted...
I haven't played all of them, but here's how it is as I understand:

XCOM: Ufo Defense - The first game and the one most people consider the best

X-COM: Enforcer - A top down shooter where you play as a super robot killing aliens. I own it and it doesn't work, it runs in super high speed. Probably have to frame limit to 30 or whatever it was developed with and restrict to single CPU core.

X-Com: Interceptor - This one is good, it combines space combat with station management and economy. Ship combat is very tough though as everything happens fast. You can control things like weapon load outs, shields, etc. And you can transfer energy, manage shield levels, targeting. Its very much a space simulator. But you will probably be dead weight on your team until you research auto tracking tracer cannons which auto target enemies on your screen instead of you having to keep with an enemy, and predict their movements and distance and try and hit them.

X-COM: Terror from the Deep - Kind of like a re-skin of UFO Defense. It takes place underwater and the technology is underwater-themed, but I think it's basically the same as the first game... just underwater.

X-COM: Apocalypse - This game takes place in a city and lets you blow up big buildings and stuff. It's a strategy game similar to Terror from the Deep and UFO Defense. Haven't tried it yet. It has a real-time combat mode, which I've heard is not good.

ElDudorino posted...

Never play Interceptor or Enforcer.

Interceptor is actually pretty fun, but its not at all a turn based tactical strategy like the previous x-com games. Its actually a space combat simulator with economy and base management rolled in.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#10KamenRiderBladePosted 1/1/2014 4:54:21 PM
Funny how I played X-COM Apocalypse in turn based mode only and found it more fun that way.
---
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'