This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Valdis Story vs. La-Mulana, Which to pick OR any suggestions (metroidvania)

#1rickimaruPosted 1/1/2014 3:31:23 PM
I have been itching for a Metroidvania style game. Specifically one with talent trees, upgrade-able and upgrade-able equipment. Ultimately an action-RPG Metroidvania style game. Ultimately I would love to play one on 3ds, but they haven't released any yet.

I saw Valdis Story is currently on sale as is La-Mulana. They are basically the same price. However, I can't decide between the 2. I really like the art style of Valdis, but many reviews have knocked it for not having tight controls. La-Mulana, I am unsure of the art style, and have seen middling reviews for this game in general.

Any suggestions on which of the 2? Or neither? Option C maybe?

P.S. I have a wired Xbox controller, so control scheme for mouse/keyboard is irrelevant.

Thanks
-Joe
---
1177-7988-6849
#2ChromaticAngelPosted 1/1/2014 3:35:44 PM
Dust: An Elysian Tail or Aquaria two best metroidvanias on Steam. Both controller compatible, but I feel Aquaria plays better with a keyboard since you can use number keys to change forms.
---
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.
#3Arsene-LupinPosted 1/1/2014 4:03:45 PM(edited)
Neither. Dust: An Elysian Tail is one of the best Metroidvania-style games on PC, and I would argue that Guacamelee is the best Metroidvania game, period, as I've found it far better constructed than any Metroid or Castlevania game I've ever played.

Well, it might tie with Super Metroid.
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
#4FroakiePosted 1/1/2014 4:04:56 PM
Arsene-Lupin posted...
Neither. Dust: An Elysian Tail is one of the best Metroidvania-style games on PC, and I would argue that Guacamelee is the best Metroidvania game, period, as I've found it far better constructed than any Metroid or Castlevania game I've ever played.

Well, it might tie with Super Metroid.

I have both those and was thinking of picking up Valdis >_>
I've spent too much money -.-
---
http://i.imgur.com/EPGPNKk.jpg
wufei8706
#5Ork_HeroPosted 1/1/2014 4:44:52 PM
If you get La Mulana, pay attention to the stone tablets, or you'll get lost. Save often too! One unexpected death can set you back an hour or so of progress. But it's a really great game and can be challenging for a side-scroller
---
'Ere we go!
UK gamer girl
#6capgamerPosted 1/1/2014 5:01:26 PM
Ork_Hero posted...
If you get La Mulana, pay attention to the stone tablets. You'll get lost. Save often too! One unexpected death can set you back an hour or so of progress. But it's a really great game and can be challenging for a side-scroller

Fixed
---
The man keeps us down
because he likes to see us frown
#7jakisthePosted 1/1/2014 5:14:35 PM
La Mulana is less of a MV than Valdis Story is, its more of an...adventure game with slight platforming elements. Valdis gets my vote. Dust is good and all, but the combat gets REALLY repetitive. Haven't played Aquaria.
---
-Why is there yogurt in this cap?!
-It used to be milk, but, well, time makes fools of us all. (cookie for reference)::160 cookies given thus far::
#8ChromaticAngelPosted 1/1/2014 5:15:28 PM
jakisthe posted...
Haven't played Aquaria.

You should get on that. It's one of the best games I ever played. It even won IGF Grand Prize FWIW
---
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.
#9AnatomyHorrorPosted 1/1/2014 5:24:05 PM
I vote Valdis Story. Just picked it up, really cool game.
#10Marioface5Posted 1/1/2014 5:36:35 PM
La-Mulana, at least from my experience, is extremely frustrating due to terrible design choices made for the sake of being "retro". Perhaps the most notable is the fact that you can only save at specific save points, meaning that if you die (and there are things in the game that you'll only know are dangerous when you've been killed by them before) you'll lose all of your progress since the last time you were at a save point. It's a huge waste of the player's time. The only thing I really liked about what I played of it was that the menu sounds reminded me of Mega Man X5.
---
The world gets weirder every day.
PSN: Marioface5