This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The Elder Scrolls Online cost $200 Million to develop. No, really.

#1__Cam__Posted 1/1/2014 4:59:46 PM
http://www.igameresponsibly.com/2014/01/01/report-bethesdas-elder-scrolls-online-development-cost-insane/

There's no way in f***ing hell that this is going to be remotely successful, and once the game flops, there's no chance that ZeniMax (parent company of Bethesda) will put faith in a TES game again.
---
You're awesome.
#2GarquillPosted 1/1/2014 5:03:42 PM
it would be impossible to lose faith in the traditional ES games, those will always do well
---
backloggery.com/Garquille
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~ A. Einstein
#3blakegallowayPosted 1/1/2014 5:06:14 PM
I think TESO actually has a chance of producing more unwarranted hate than Star Wars The Old Republic ever did. And SWTOR was supposed to have cost 500 million. The posters her on PC and the SWTOR board itself were pretty bad. People who hadn't played the game in over or a year or at all were salivating at the prospect of the game failing by their own personal terms and going F2P.
---
Sometimes death comes knocking.
Sometimes it tears down the walls.
#4PaukenPosted 1/1/2014 5:07:36 PM
Correction: they won't put faith in a TES MMO ever again.

Skyrim has sold so bloody well that it'd take a single player TES game flopping hard to dissuade ZeniMax from ever touching the series again. It sold even better if you consider how many suckers bought the console releases, which probably cost all of 20 bucks to port given how messy they are.

If TESVI flops, THEN ZeniMax might be more wary of TES. But if I'm right, and TESO flops and makes Bethesda add co-op to TESVI, there is no bloody way it will flop.
#5ChromaticAngelPosted 1/1/2014 5:35:17 PM
they probably won't put faith in another MMO, but every new single player TES shatters all kinds of sales records. Skyrim is the fastest selling Steam game in all history.
---
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.
#6Pal 080Posted 1/1/2014 5:39:15 PM(edited)
I could see this game doing fairly well, but not on console with a $10-15/month subscription fee, that's just madness, I'd have a hard time paying that even on PC with the influx of one time purchase and F2P MMO's on the go, let alone paying that ontop of the consoles online fee... I think it's for hardcore ES fans only.
---
"If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate"
#7Orestes417Posted 1/1/2014 5:42:50 PM
It's a big IP MMO. That figure isn't shocking at all, nor would it be all that much of an issue to recoup with a successful launch. What is surprising is that they still think a pure sub model is the way to go when F2P with optional sub would get them more potential customer base.
---
I am the mighty thesaurus! RAWR!
#8ThePCElitistPosted 1/1/2014 5:43:54 PM
Example #1 of what's wrong with modern gaming. Massively bloated budgets for game development which in return will make the Publishers/Shareholders expect some unrealistically high amount of sales that will never happen.

ie: See Square-Enix with Tomb Raider 2013 who called it a flop after it sold 4 million copies.
#9ChromaticAngelPosted 1/1/2014 5:47:56 PM(edited)
$200 million is also pretty run of the mill for a high profile MMO. I would not be surprised if Blizzard spent over $1.5 billion total for WoW and all its expansions
---
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.
#10NingishzidaPosted 1/1/2014 5:53:52 PM
Imagine if $200m was spent on a Morrowind remake.