This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The Elder Scrolls Online cost $200 Million to develop. No, really.

#11ThePCElitistPosted 1/1/2014 5:58:41 PM
ChromaticAngel posted...
$200 million is also pretty run of the mill for a high profile MMO. I would not be surprised if Blizzard spent over $1.5 billion total for WoW and all its expansions

WoW is an anomaly and I doubt another MMORPG will ever be as huge as that game was during its peak or even as it is right now to be honest.
#12SinisterSlayPosted 1/1/2014 5:59:14 PM
It's a pretty big gamble.

I doubt it will pay off. Subscription fees are dead. When you can get quality games that gives hundreds of hours of entertainment for less than 1 month of a subscription fee to a game that lets you grind boring quests... there is something wrong.
The MMO market, especially the subscription MMO market is looking bleak.

The next TES needs to throw off the shackles of console restrictions and give us a proper evolving world with realistic environments. When I throw a fireball in a cave, the cave should collapse, a dragon landing on a straw roof and breathing fire on it should light it on fire. Swords should properly slice of limbs. Killing random NPC's should cause something, anything.... Even sleeping dogs has an ambulance arrive and try and save the innocents you just killed. It's a simple touch. We need the game to evolve properly depending on what the player does. If a player decides to kill the Jarl, a new one should be chosen. If you kill everyone in a town, it should become deserted until eventually new people move in. If you level the town, new buildings should be slowly built over time. Cities should slowly expand as new people are born. Couples should be able to have children, have them grow up, have families and children of their own. The world should slowly get more populated.
And the world should allow more than 1 hero. You should be able to play with a friend in Co-op or even roll a second or third hero and play in the world your first hero created.

And d*** the system requirements, PC's will evolve and become more powerful to run this massive game.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#13Xeeh_BitzPosted 1/1/2014 6:02:17 PM
ChromaticAngel posted...
$200 million is also pretty run of the mill for a high profile MMO. I would not be surprised if Blizzard spent over $1.5 billion total for WoW and all its expansions

Blizzard only spent like 400 million total since the creation of WoW

http://digitalbattle.com/2006/06/15/world-of-warcraft-cost-63-million/
---
Steam: Xeeh Bitz | PSN: Xeeh Bitz | XBL: Xeeh You
#14TimePharaohPosted 1/1/2014 8:53:18 PM(edited)
Pal 080 posted...
I could see this game doing fairly well, but not on console with a $10-15/month subscription fee, that's just madness, I'd have a hard time paying that even on PC with the influx of one time purchase and F2P MMO's on the go, let alone paying that ontop of the consoles online fee... I think it's for hardcore ES fans only.

Hardcore ES fans don't want this at all....they want a hardcore ES again.

It's aimed at the new Skyrim kids, which I don't think they're going to find much success with. It'll be interesting how it does, I see a flop though.
---
HE are genius, firstly. - ASlaveObeys
GestapoFAQs http://i.imgur.com/prqCDHz.png http://i.imgur.com/ooNGE4u.png
#15Saga3Posted 1/1/2014 9:10:21 PM
It will flop on PC but do well on consoles.

Most console gamers have never experienced the greatness of playing an MMO for the first time. I've played the beta, it's bad and is an insult to the series. It's a shameless WoW clone that's worse than what ToR did regarding copying (I liked ToR up until end game it did it much better than WoW, but endgame was terrible), but console gamers won't see it that way. PC gamers on the other hand know it all too well from the recent years and learned their lesson about not investing $15 a month into things that might flop.

Even though there is a $60(?) fee already on consoles I still feel people will shell out the $15 a month.
#16MrXGamerPosted 1/1/2014 9:39:52 PM
SWTOR costed the same, correct? It failed terribly - both in quality and keeping subs after first month. I have been saying for a while now that ESO will be the same epic fail. People will jump on its bandwagon, but after first month, watch them lose majority of subs. People have already trashed its beta and whatever else we have seen, it's just not impressive. At least SWTOR looked good in videos, ESO is not even that.
---
Asus Z77 Sabertooth | i7 3770k | EVGA GTX 680 Classified | Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 1600MHz | Crucial m4 SSD | Blu-ray | Win 7 x64
#17urtvPosted 1/1/2014 9:48:08 PM
it will survive because modders will make it live.they might not be able to do a full overhaul but they should still be able to mod the graphics
#18KaushadPosted 1/1/2014 9:57:09 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
ChromaticAngel posted...

Blizzard only spent like 400 million total since the creation of WoW

http://digitalbattle.com/2006/06/15/world-of-warcraft-cost-63-million/

even if they had spent a billion, with their ~7000000 sub base, they make a whopping 1.26 billion a year from subs alone, not to mention newcomers to the game, mount sales, pet sales, and other misc fees.
---
Let us assume that for the sake of assumption that I am always right.
#19Born LuckyPosted 1/1/2014 10:13:24 PM
Men in suits who have never played a game in their life, were convinced by other men in suits, using charts and graphs, that "online" is the thing "all the gamers" want .

These same men do not possess the capacity to learn from their own mistakes, the mistakes of others, or the ability to see reality the way that any sane person with even a little common sense can see it.

They see mmorpgs fail over and over and over again, so what do they do? . . . they finance an mmorpg
---
I was talking to the parrot - Poirot
#20blax34dmPosted 1/1/2014 10:44:32 PM
Born Lucky posted...
Men in suits who have never played a game in their life, were convinced by other men in suits, using charts and graphs, that "online" is the thing "all the gamers" want .

These same men do not possess the capacity to learn from their own mistakes, the mistakes of others, or the ability to see reality the way that any sane person with even a little common sense can see it.

They see mmorpgs fail over and over and over again, so what do they do? . . . they finance an mmorpg

This, but really who cares? Until they actually put decent combat, difficulty, and a good story into TES they will just get more and more exhausting.