This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The Visceral game engine used in Dead Space games is too underrated

#1AllmatteredPosted 1/1/2014 8:53:36 PM
I've played all three Dead space games and nowhere else have I seen a game made so smooth and seamless as it can be. From Dead Space 1 to Dead Space 3, all have run so well even on the lowest end graphics card with perfect framerate and max settings that I can only say I'm pretty amazed. Even more amazing is how the game has absolutely no loading times in between and the cutscenes are chained so perfectly that they are literally part of the in-game animations itself.
Visceral Games really ought to get more credit for their game engine, instead of overrated ones like the Source engine.
#2CaptainRandom1Posted 1/1/2014 8:55:55 PM
I have a $300 i3 laptop with an integrated family graphics card and I can run dead space 3 at 60 fps.
---
3DS FC 4253-3597-1691
http://i.imgur.com/R9wiC6E.jpg
#3Allmattered(Topic Creator)Posted 1/1/2014 8:58:46 PM(edited)
exactly. The people at Visceral games are geniuses at performance optimizations
#4ToastyOnePosted 1/1/2014 9:00:14 PM(edited)
Agreed. Even the Wii Dead Space game looks and runs great.

Honorable mention goes to the Avalanche 2.0 engine from Just Cause 2.
---
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5392/picture002wmc.jpg
steamcommunity.com/id/Armatoste/
#5DV8ingSourcesPosted 1/1/2014 9:00:36 PM
You do realize how slow of a pace those games hold right? Most engines can cope when the fastest the player can move is still a snails pace. Add in the monster closets and small environments (or large empty ones), and I'm not quite as impressed. Don't get me wrong I think its a great engine and works well but these days, there are plenty of engines that work great when used properly.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB RAM | 770 + 670 physx | 256 SSD | 8TB HDD | Win 8.1 64bit | ax1200w | CM690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#6TimePharaohPosted 1/1/2014 9:10:28 PM
Most people "underrate" this because we don't try to play games on a toaster, thus wouldn't notice how average a game runs on one.
---
HE are genius, firstly. - ASlaveObeys
GestapoFAQs http://i.imgur.com/prqCDHz.png http://i.imgur.com/ooNGE4u.png
#7Allmattered(Topic Creator)Posted 1/1/2014 9:42:37 PM
DV8ingSources posted...
You do realize how slow of a pace those games hold right? Most engines can cope when the fastest the player can move is still a snails pace. Add in the monster closets and small environments (or large empty ones), and I'm not quite as impressed. Don't get me wrong I think its a great engine and works well but these days, there are plenty of engines that work great when used properly.

You referring to Dead Space 1? Because the 2nd and 3rd have alot faster pace and it's not just walking around corridors anymore. Having get sucked out into outer space straight from an enclosed area, battle some monster and dropped down to a whole new area, all without a single hitch or loading time is pretty impressive. The action in Dead Space 3 is a heck lot more of course.
#8DV8ingSourcesPosted 1/1/2014 9:48:57 PM
I beat the first 2 and made it a fair ways into the 3rd. Its still slower paced than a lot of games. Again, I'm really not raining on your pride parade as I do think the engine is great, I'm just not impressed with it compared to other engines like cryengine, frostbite and hell even unreal at times (Batman arkham games).
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB RAM | 770 + 670 physx | 256 SSD | 8TB HDD | Win 8.1 64bit | ax1200w | CM690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#9PhilOnDezPosted 1/1/2014 10:28:00 PM
Did you play with a controller? Because smooth is the absolute last thing I would call Dead Space 1 with m/kb. I love the game and the series as a whole (beaten all 5 games plus the 2 DLCs, own 1-3 on pc+360, mobile for both iOS and android, 2 is my second favorite game of all time) but the PC port of 1 is just awful and the physics in that game are screwed up beyond belief due to the way they scale.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#10Combo MasterPosted 1/2/2014 12:20:45 AM
Dead Space 2 and 3 maybe. Dead space 1 was full of glitches
---
Combo Master