This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. Why is this game so damned perfect?

#1LordOfLegaciesPosted 1/3/2014 7:45:58 PM
Who agrees?
I'm just about to finish my 5th playthrough (140 hours ingame total) as a Follower of Set (I'm using Final Nights) siding with the anarchs and I'm already trying to decide between a Baali and a Salubri for my next character.

The game's got it all. Great setting, great story, really interesting characters, captivating side plots, humor, action, betrayal, sorting lies from truths, important decisions, and a bunch of endings that are significantly different from eachother based on choices you've made throughout the game.

This game seems to be universally loved among most PC gamers, and is still an amazing game even with the dated graphics and whatnot. What stopped them from making a new one?
---
The moderation staff and system on this website are both absolutely terrible.
#2CatToyPosted 1/3/2014 7:49:37 PM
LordOfLegacies posted...
What stopped them from making a new one?

Probably going out of business.
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.
#3DV8ingSourcesPosted 1/3/2014 7:50:30 PM
It was one of those games that fell under the radar. It just didn't sell well when it was relevant. It garnered a fanbase that has since blown up but at the end of the day, the game failed hard when it mattered most. Also you probably use the community patch that fixed a plethora of horrible bugs the original release was infested with.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB RAM | 770 + 670 physx | 256 SSD | 8TB HDD | Win 8.1 64bit | ax1200w | CM690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#4DiviDudePosted 1/3/2014 7:52:16 PM(edited)
It didn't help that the game was insanely buggy at release, borderline unplayable.

This is one of the rare games that had me feeling nervous from beginning to end. Which is a very good thing. If a game doesn't make you nervous, then it's not making you give a damn.
#5SpazH3dPosted 1/3/2014 7:52:54 PM
It usually happens that something good dies before its time.

VTMB is one of my favorite games.
---
- My vision is augmented
#6ChromaticAngelPosted 1/3/2014 8:19:38 PM
LordOfLegacies posted...
Who agrees?
I'm just about to finish my 5th playthrough (140 hours ingame total) as a Follower of Set (I'm using Final Nights) siding with the anarchs and I'm already trying to decide between a Baali and a Salubri for my next character.

The game's got it all. Great setting, great story, really interesting characters, captivating side plots, humor, action, betrayal, sorting lies from truths, important decisions, and a bunch of endings that are significantly different from eachother based on choices you've made throughout the game.

This game seems to be universally loved among most PC gamers, and is still an amazing game even with the dated graphics and whatnot. What stopped them from making a new one?

if you like it, you should try the real thing.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/94815/Vampire-The-Masquerade-20th-Anniversary-Edition
---
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.
#7NingishzidaPosted 1/3/2014 8:30:23 PM
LordOfLegacies posted...

its a cult game, it isn't even universally known let alone loved.

all who play it now that its patched and has a wesp patch do love it, though

the wikipedia article on the game explains why there wasn't a new one.
#8Fate8Posted 1/3/2014 8:34:34 PM
I played it not long after it came out and I honestly was very unimpressed with it. Wasn't very memorable.
---
Thats because you touch yourself at night.
#9LordOfLegacies(Topic Creator)Posted 1/3/2014 8:56:24 PM
ChromaticAngel posted...
if you like it, you should try the real thing.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/94815/Vampire-The-Masquerade-20th-Anniversary-Edition

Thanks but I'm already aware of the PnP game, and have an original rulebook as well as the "revised" one.
---
The moderation staff and system on this website are both absolutely terrible.
#10L_M_4Posted 1/3/2014 8:59:00 PM
Granted, it can be near-unplayable without the unofficial patches, and some bits of it haven't aged very well. (Especially since it uses a modified alpha or beta version of the Source Engine, and a lot more problems crop up with it as opposed to games that run off the finished product)

However, the story, characters, and environment are all very nice. The opening bits are probably the best/most memorable parts of the games. (Everyone remembers Jeanette and the Ocean House Hotel) but the rest of the game is nicely done as well.

As for anything resembling a sequel, Troika's been out of business, but I've heard rumblings of an MMO based in that universe. No idea what the status is on that project, though.
---
Psn: BloodFalcon