This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. Why is this game so damned perfect?

#61ChromaticAngelPosted 1/5/2014 6:31:59 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
LordOfLegacies posted...
Ugh. MMOs can lick the darkest part of my hairy bread basket. I do not like that style of online multiplayer. I don't want to depend on others to do quests and I don't want others to depend on me to do quests. I like to move at my own pace in games and to my mind MMOs are the complete antithesis of that.

Honestly, VtM is one type of game I actually think could potentially work amazing well as an MMO - IF (and it's a huge if) they did it right. I also really hate MMOs - with a passion. I haven't played a single one I've really enjoyed yet. But the world of VtM could support MMO-style play extremely well, while also changing the way MMOs work. Think about it.

First, vampires in that world are not exactly known for cooperating. Every single one has its own agenda, and schemes to make it happen. There is a ton and a half of political intrigue, backstabbing, jockeying for position, making/breaking alliances, and more. Yes, they may do things in groups now and then, but only as long as it suits them. That fact alone means that you really are not "depending" on others to be with you to do a raid or something, because it just doesn't quite work that way in that world. They come and go as they please.

Each clan has its own structure, leadership, etc. Rather than just having "good guys" and "bad guys" like so many games do these days, you have each different clan. This allows for more variety. Basically, players would pick their clan and fill it in, creating all levels of leadership *themselves*. What could also be cool is if a workable system could be developed so that the clan members themselves are the ones to issue quests, rather than NPCs. Minimize reliance on NPCs and use real people more. Say a mid-level vampire is trying to find some evidence against one of his superiors or something, but doesn't want to risk being caught himself - he could farm that quest out to someone else, and issue experience and/or equipment reward as a result. I'm not sure how exactly that would work, but it would make the world much more rich I think, if the players themselves relied on each other to do things, and issued the experience rewards themselves.

Done correctly, a VtM MMO could totally create a self-contained world run largely by the players, within the rules of the game. They could even have a system where the players are more likely to enforce the Masquerade themselves - too great a violation of the Masquerade brings attention from humans, law enforcement, etc., and can be a detriment to the entire clan, potentially even going as far as to destroy a clan's HQ and killing lots of the vampires in a purge. Self-preservation could cause the players to police each other and punish each other for violations, rather than just some hard-coded experience penalty or something.

There are a million ways it could be screwed up, and it probably would be, but I still think of any concept, VtM could potentially work really well as an MMO.

You know there is a World of Darkness MMO in the works by the same guys who make Eve Online, right?

It's not clear at this time if it's going to feature Vampires from Vampire: the Masquerade or Vampires from Vampire: the Requiem, but it's coming.
---
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.
#62LordOfLegacies(Topic Creator)Posted 1/5/2014 8:02:48 PM
ChromaticAngel posted...
You know there is a World of Darkness MMO in the works by the same guys who make Eve Online, right?
It's not clear at this time if it's going to feature Vampires from Vampire: the Masquerade or Vampires from Vampire: the Requiem, but it's coming.

The post of mine that he quoted was a response to somebody else bringing up that MMO, I'm sure he knows.
I'm sure it's going to be Requiem since it's their successor to Masquerade, I can't imagine that they would go back. And to me, that makes it even worse. I do not like the changes in Requiem.
---
The moderation staff and system on this website are both absolutely terrible.
#63SirbunglePosted 1/5/2014 8:03:26 PM
http://www.mmo-troll.com/wod-dev-hell/ doesnt look too promising
#64LordOfLegacies(Topic Creator)Posted 1/5/2014 8:33:25 PM
I just broke down and bought the Kindred series from Amazon.
Got the special addition that comes with the fancy ass box and the Book of Nod.
---
#65TiamatKillerPosted 1/5/2014 8:49:04 PM
Ningishzida posted...
LordOfLegacies posted...
Alright point taken, but my point is that these regular Joes just standing around can eat bullets like sand bags but you, the supernatural super powered vampire die just as easily to bullets as they do.

oh yeah, and I'm sure you had your gun skillz pumped up, right? if you knew anything about the game, you'd realize that unarmed is very strong early, gets quickly outstripped by melee, and then gunfighting doesn't shine until towards the end (unless you're like auspex celerity cranked Toreador).

oldskool cRPGs don't adhere to your favorite "Bethesda balance" newb rule, thank god. this game was made back when people liked to experiment, and didn't cry like a baby if they gimped or OP'd their char.

but i recommend other newbs to play Thaumaturgy tremere on their third run thru.

I refuse to pay for digital text.

so you'll only read if a forest got cut down first? how silly, and environmentally unfriendly...

Ningishzida posted...
HURR LEARN TO READ HURR GET A JOB

solid advice is solid.

Does being an ass come naturally, or do you have to put effort into it?
---
i5-3570k @3.4GHZ | GTX 560Ti (2GB) @900MHz | Asus P8Z77-V Pro | Samsung 840 (250GB) | 1TB Seagate 7200rpm | 8GB RAM | Zalman 9900 MAX | CoolerMaster HAF 912
#66CGoblinsPosted 1/5/2014 8:55:58 PM
LordOfLegacies posted...

You can watch the whole series on Youtube...
---
PSN: Ray-Martin82 Nintendo Network ID: RayMartin
Playing: Monster Hunter U and League of Legends
#67TheSmilingLordPosted 1/5/2014 9:14:56 PM
Did anyone here ever watch Kindred: The Embraced? I know it didn't run for very long but it looked pretty interesting and it is based off of the OWoD, I'm just curious if it's worth it.

The series sucked hard. Made by the same guy who did the original 90210.

For those interested, there are youtube clips from the cancelled Werewolf game. Interesting to watch at least.
---
Gamertag: Ragnarok
#68LordOfLegacies(Topic Creator)Posted 1/5/2014 9:48:14 PM
CGoblins posted...
LordOfLegacies posted...

You can watch the whole series on Youtube...

If I wanted to watch the whole series on the internet...
I would have done it...
I'm a collector...
So sue me...
And I wanted the Book of Nod...
Asterisks aren't necessary...
for anything...
---
#69CGoblinsPosted 1/5/2014 10:00:27 PM
And this is why everyone responds sarcastically on forums.

And this is a asterisk *.

This is a ellipses ... .

At least try to get it right when you're being a smart ***.
---
PSN: Ray-Martin82 Nintendo Network ID: RayMartin
Playing: Monster Hunter U and League of Legends
#70AvisonPosted 1/5/2014 10:00:58 PM
The amount of @#$% you had to install before you could play it properly wasn't a hint?
---
-True knowledge is understanding why you truly know nothing.
GT: "Avison Atrius" BB Mains: Hakumen, Arakune