This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So how different are these two power supplies?

#1lord_ryePosted 1/4/2014 6:10:43 AM(edited)
I currently own this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152035

and this one that is seemingly worse is more expensive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151074&clickid

If thats better is it worth upgrading to?
---
Last game played in 2007 was Halo3.
#2JiazhenPosted 1/4/2014 6:47:25 AM
Why is a seasonic seemingly worse than a raidmax to you?

Don't worry about upgrading unless you're powering up really expensive hardware and is worried that a raidmax might blow up and take down the rest of the rig.
---
Phenom II 925 | GTX560 | Corsair Dominator 4gb | GA-990FXA-UD5 | HX620 | Carbide 200r
#3ShubPosted 1/4/2014 9:41:23 AM(edited)
Simple, the Raidmax is a piece of junk, and the Seasonic isn't. I'm guessing you're looking at the Seasonic's wattage, seeing a lower number than what the Raidmax has, and assuming that makes the Seasonic a worse unit. That is not the case.
If you want a longer explanation, go read this: http://gamefaqspc.wikispaces.com/Power+Supply :)

That being said, that Seasonic is a pretty poor deal.
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1550sxxb9 is of identical quality and cheaper. In fact, it's made by Seasonic, just rebadged by XFX.

And yes, you should definitely get rid of your Raidmax junker.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#4someflamablekidPosted 1/4/2014 10:55:41 AM(edited)
Raidmax warranty 2 years.

Seasonic 5 years (some are even 7 year warranty)

That's pretty much how confident the manufacturers are. I had a raidmax and it did died within about 2 years and wasn't worth the hassle to return as it was fairly low wattage and I was tired of raidmax.

Seasonic is a very reputable brand and you get what you pay for. And that is not a very good deal on the seasonic you posted.
#5lord_rye(Topic Creator)Posted 1/5/2014 1:53:19 AM
Yeah thanks guys. All i was doing is looking at the wattage. I'm trying to keep costs down for a new build but i think i'll go ahead and buy a new one.
---
#6ein311Posted 1/5/2014 2:08:24 AM
You're always better off going with a higher-quality, lower wattage rating PSU than a higher-wattage, crappy quality PSU.

The PSU is one of the most importance parts of your computer. Don't skimp.
---
Man your own jackhammer
Man your battlestations
#7lord_rye(Topic Creator)Posted 1/6/2014 2:58:43 AM
One more thing guys, how do you know if its a bad quality one? Is it because its raidmax or something else? Iv'e been using that for about 6 years now and its worked for me. I just wanted to know if i should upgrade from it if im bothering to upgrade everything else.
---
#8it4solutionPosted 1/6/2014 3:06:31 AM
seasonic and corsair are the two best brands for a psu im quite sure of
---
Steam ID: iT4Solution
#9wizardmonPosted 1/6/2014 3:39:39 AM
lord_rye posted...
One more thing guys, how do you know if its a bad quality one?

Read the link Shub posted. Shub's a professional in the field of knowing what he's talking about so I think we should trust him.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#10DarkZV2BetaPosted 1/6/2014 3:49:34 AM
lord_rye posted...
One more thing guys, how do you know if its a bad quality one? Is it because its raidmax or something else? Iv'e been using that for about 6 years now and its worked for me. I just wanted to know if i should upgrade from it if im bothering to upgrade everything else.

That's not really easy. Basically, there's no easy way to tell if a PSU is or isn't junk. You just have to do your research into the actual performance and output of the PSU. Unfortunately, reviews for off-brand PSUs like the junk you're using are rather infrequent or poorly done quite often.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79