This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Will installing Ubuntu reformat my laptop?

#21Orestes417Posted 1/5/2014 1:23:02 PM
As I said in the other topic, if you can't go to their official site and read their relatively comprehensive documentation then you probably shouldn't be screwing around with a new OS.
---
I am the mighty thesaurus! RAWR!
#22lost_withinPosted 1/5/2014 2:47:54 PM
Orestes417 posted...
As I said in the other topic, if you can't go to their official site and read their relatively comprehensive documentation then you probably shouldn't be screwing around with a new OS.

I disagree, the best way to learn how something works is to screw around with it and ask questions when you don't understand something... but I guess that mind set comes from working in the education field...
---
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity."
Harlan Ellison
#23Orestes417Posted 1/5/2014 4:05:20 PM
lost_within posted...
Orestes417 posted...

I disagree, the best way to learn how something works is to screw around with it and ask questions when you don't understand something... but I guess that mind set comes from working in the education field...

I somewhat agree in the sense that the best way to learn is to break things and then figure out how to fix them. That's how I learned computers as far back as the Apple IIe and Sinclair Spectrum days.

Not bothering to read the manual beforehand though is just a fast track to making sure things get broken because you were too damn lazy to even try to inform yourself before starting. It's also a good way to make various user communities very, very annoyed with you very fast. Go to a more technically oriented community like the BSDs or Arch linux and they will eat you alive if you ask something that's on page one of the manual.
---
I am the mighty thesaurus! RAWR!
#24WyzeGyePosted 1/5/2014 4:16:29 PM
PraetorXyn posted...
I'd personally avoid Ubuntu if I were you, their new Unity UI is awful.
Get Xubuntu, which is Ubuntu with XCFE. It also happens to be an official release if I'm not mistaken.

Yep. this is what I recommended above. Especially for an xp era laptop.

I'd also recommend you install gnome shell, as easy as 'sudo apt-get install gnome-shell' in the command line.

I loves me some gnome shell... it's like what unity should have been.
---
http://i.imgur.com/e4IiIHn.png
#25WyzeGyePosted 1/5/2014 4:18:10 PM
Orestes417 posted...
lost_within posted...
Orestes417 posted...

I somewhat agree in the sense that the best way to learn is to break things and then figure out how to fix them. That's how I learned computers as far back as the Apple IIe and Sinclair Spectrum days.

Not bothering to read the manual beforehand though is just a fast track to making sure things get broken because you were too damn lazy to even try to inform yourself before starting. It's also a good way to make various user communities very, very annoyed with you very fast. Go to a more technically oriented community like the BSDs or Arch linux and they will eat you alive if you ask something that's on page one of the manual.

he's not really running the risk of botching things too bad. It's not often somebody comes along and wipes dual booting off the table completely. He's probably the easiest guy to satisfy and least likely to come back b****ing that all his stuff is gone after failing to install properly.
---
http://i.imgur.com/e4IiIHn.png
#26petran78Posted 1/6/2014 5:13:10 AM
d209999 posted...

Is that a 12.10 only issue? When I installed 13.10 on my Windows 7 computer, it gave me the option to size my Ubuntu partition to whatever I wanted.

Probably it has something to do with mounting/unmounting the partitions.

Recently I tried to install Mint 16 and it gave me a choice to allocate free space on the secondary HDD that was 500 GB. So far so good, but the process stuck for 20 minutes reading and I also got graphical artefacts after that.

Gave up installing.
they try to make Linux like Windows. I always choose the Gnome Classic shell. I detest Unity.

Best option would be installing Linux and use a USB portable version of Windows, stripped to the essential componets for gaming.
---
Q.You want so see some other stuff? What Console? A.Console? Q.What platform? A.Uh, Moral Turpitude?
Q.PC it is, then.