This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How are the ads getting past ad block?

#1zerooo0Posted 1/5/2014 4:17:00 PM(edited)
I'm getting ads on Firefox, and Chrome in places that are intrusive on sites like GFaqs, and they don't show anything. The only thing the ads say is "Ads not by this Site". Any idea how to fix this? Lots of words are highlighted green, and when I hover over them a ad pops up around it. I try to add the filters for ad block to block them, but nothing comes up.

Wow, the only browser that ad block seems to be working on is Opera which is also lag free. The ads I'm getting on Firefox, and Chrome are making them run slower then normal.
---
Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.--General Patton
#2DawnshadowPosted 1/5/2014 4:17:25 PM
It sounds like you have another addon or toolbar or malware that's inserting the ads. (Hence the 'ads not by this side' note. Did you install anything new recently?
---
I have a blog! Warcraft and other gamer musings.
http://oilstainedlibram.wordpress.com/
#3WyzeGyePosted 1/5/2014 4:18:48 PM
http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm
---
http://i.imgur.com/e4IiIHn.png
#4NotQuiteAFreakPosted 1/5/2014 4:19:11 PM
Clever girl.
---
Not changing sig till we get a sequel to Freedom Fighters.
Started 13/4/2010
#5zerooo0(Topic Creator)Posted 1/5/2014 4:20:26 PM
Dawnshadow posted...
It sounds like you have another addon or toolbar or malware that's inserting the ads. (Hence the 'ads not by this side' note. Did you install anything new recently?

Nope, I don't download anything besides ad block. Does the malware only affect certain browsers? Also what do you mean by toolbar or addon?Sorry if the question is stupid, as all this stuff is new to me. Where would I go to check these things?
---
Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.--General Patton
#6skychanPosted 1/5/2014 9:21:16 PM
post some screenshot
---
"I will thanks BlackEmac64 4ever" -skychan
#7MarceloSampaioPosted 1/6/2014 4:26:34 AM
Thats a malware. The ads are being added by a malware on your computer, and it even shows ads on completely ad-free sites.

My mom got this on her PC recently, and I had to use Super Antispyware to remove it.
---
:3
Brazil, country where the World Cup is more important than a basic health system...
#8LordSeiferPosted 1/6/2014 4:48:49 AM
sounds like the name of a malware program pretending to be the opposite
---
^ this
#9MarceloSampaioPosted 1/6/2014 6:05:27 AM(edited)
LordSeifer posted...
sounds like the name of a malware program pretending to be the opposite

Yeah, but it isn't. Super Antispyware is amazing, btw. I used to have Spybot, but replaced it with Super Antispyware, since Spybot isn't working as it used to...

The name is ridiculous, though. :p

---
:3
Brazil, country where the World Cup is more important than a basic health system...
#10zerodefectPosted 1/6/2014 6:49:58 AM
It has no real-time protection and the lowest detection rate and lowest score in a malware removal test, doesn't sound very awesome too me.
---
i5 3570k@4.7GHz, Antec Kulher H2O 920, SLI EVGA GTX670's, GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H, 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Genesis, XFX Pro750W Core PSU