This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

shopping for a pc

#1Ih8moddersPosted 1/5/2014 4:28:18 PM
I have been a console gamer my whole life. I've never owned a gaming pc, but i really want to play dayz. I am looking for help/suggestions about how powerful a machine i would need to play dayz and some other casual pc games (minecraft, don't starve, amnesia, etc.) I have a ps3 so that would remain my gaming machine of choice. Any help would be much appreciated.

Also, for those that find it ironic that i want to play a mod despite my handle, i made this account when i was younger and thought that modders were cheaters in online play. I just don't care enough to change it. I'm not even sure i can.

Thanks!
---
XBL Gamer Tag: EmeraldHalo PSN: Nero479
We predict the future, and the best way to predict it, is to invent it.
#2Lonestar2000Posted 1/5/2014 5:48:12 PM
What is your budget?
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#3PsythikPosted 1/5/2014 5:52:35 PM
Do you want PS4/XBone quality graphics or a rig that'll demolish both consoles combined and blow your mind into a trillion pieces? If it's the former, a $600ish build will suffice. For the latter, expect to pay twice that amount.
---
4670k OC | 2GB GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 9-9-9-24 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Win8.1 Pro
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt56/S26DG44B/PsythikViolet_Blooded.jpg
#4VIP86Posted 1/5/2014 6:04:31 PM
Arma II was kind of hard to run, from what I remember. Pretty sure the standalone is the same way. You would need a atleast a 4670k. You could get away with a 700-800 dollar build.
---
i5-3570K| MAXIMUS V GENE| ASUS DCUII 670| CORSAIR XMS3 8GB| CORSAIR 350D| INTEL 520 180GB| CORSAIR H110i| CORSAIR AX750
#5-5xad0w-Posted 1/5/2014 6:04:36 PM
Having a budget to work with helps a lot.

Going the AMD route, you could build a decent gaming rig pretty cheap (by PC standards) that would play any modern game. (though not on high/ultra)

Also, of vast importance to the cost, do you have already have a mouse/keyboard/monitor/case/OS serial you can transfer/DVD drive/HDD/ANYTHING you can cannibalize from another system.

Monitor and OS being the two most expensive items on the list of commonly carried over parts.
---
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven
#6PsythikPosted 1/5/2014 9:44:51 PM
VIP86 posted...
Arma II was kind of hard to run, from what I remember. Pretty sure the standalone is the same way. You would need a atleast a 4670k. You could get away with a 700-800 dollar build.
Arma II isn't as demanding as you might think if you use the right graphics settings. I was able to average 40FPS @ 3840x1080 (I play in 3D so my GPU needs to effectively render 1920x1080 twice) on my Core 2 Duo E8400 and HD 4850. That being said, a high spec system certainly can't hurt if you want to maintain 60FPS with maxed out graphics settings.
---
4670k OC | 2GB GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 9-9-9-24 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Win8.1 Pro
#7Ih8modders(Topic Creator)Posted 1/6/2014 6:02:52 AM
I'm looking to stay under $1000. I would prefer to not push that boundary since this won't be my primary gaming machine (although it may turn into one eventually), I'm not looking purchase a ps4 anytime soon. I've never owned a tower pc before. I've got a laptop that i use for everyday use, and i have a G5 iMac that quit working a few years ago just sitting in the basement. I was thinking about hooking up the pc to my television, if that is possible. Would it be better to build one (obviously never done it) or just find an already built machine?
---
XBL Gamer Tag: EmeraldHalo PSN: Nero479
We predict the future, and the best way to predict it, is to invent it.
#8tiger8191Posted 1/6/2014 6:17:49 AM
VIP86 posted...

Lol I play the Arma 2 mod on a 6300/7850 and depending in the server get 45-80fps on very high.

The standalone is running around 30 as well. But it runs at 30 on my friends i7 3770k and my other friends 8350.
---
www.youtube.com/user/FearsomeBeaver
www.twitch.tv/fearsomebeaver
#9tiger8191Posted 1/6/2014 6:33:04 AM
Ih8modders posted...
I'm looking to stay under $1000. I would prefer to not push that boundary since this won't be my primary gaming machine (although it may turn into one eventually), I'm not looking purchase a ps4 anytime soon. I've never owned a tower pc before. I've got a laptop that i use for everyday use, and i have a G5 iMac that quit working a few years ago just sitting in the basement. I was thinking about hooking up the pc to my television, if that is possible. Would it be better to build one (obviously never done it) or just find an already built machine?

Build it. It's not hard. Search on youtube newegg PC building and watch those three videos and that will give you an idea if you want to try it.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2wA6R

Here's a $1000 build. This is more powerful than a ps4 and will last you a few years before any upgrades. If you live near a microcenter you can get the CPU/mobo bundle in store and save another $40-50
---
www.youtube.com/user/FearsomeBeaver
www.twitch.tv/fearsomebeaver
#10PsythikPosted 1/6/2014 6:41:21 AM(edited)
Ih8modders posted...
I was thinking about hooking up the pc to my television, if that is possible. Would it be better to build one (obviously never done it) or just find an already built machine?
Of course hooking up your PC to your TV is possible. It's the only monitor I use. If it doesn't have a VGA input (most HDTVs do), you can use HDMI. Just make sure that you're sending a PC signal via HDMI instead of a TV one (I can walk you through this when we get to that point), otherwise colors will be off and the picture will be stretched.

I'm looking to stay under $1000. I would prefer to not push that boundary since this won't be my primary gaming machine (although it may turn into one eventually) [...] Would it be better to build one (obviously never done it) or just find an already built machine?
A custom built machine tends to cost less and has higher quality parts than pre-built if you know what you're doing (or have GameFAQs/reddit pick the parts for you). Custom rigs are more satisfying to own too knowing that every part of it was hand picked by you. The feeling of it coming to life for the first time after an hour of hard work and days of waiting for it all to show up in the mail is like none other.

Anyhow, $1000 would get you a great gaming rig, but $200 more would get you a phenomenal one. With that being said, if you want to be lazy, just get this rig:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103853

It has everything that the $1200 custom rigs do, but is on sale for $1060. If you're lazy, that machine is a total steal. It even has a faster CPU and GPU than tiger8191's $1000 build. The quality of the motherboard and PSU are questionable, however, and there's only a 1 year warranty. It's up to you to decide if that's worth the risk.

EDIT: Fixed the link, added more details.
---