This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you consider Skyrim an RPG?

#1SmudgieMuffinsPosted 1/6/2014 1:39:53 AM
Do you consider Skyrim an RPG? - Results (298 votes)
Yes, I feel strongly that it is.
73.49% (219 votes)
Yes, but I'm not completely confident in my opinion.
13.42% (40 votes)
No, but I'm not completely confident in my opinion.
2.68% (8 votes)
No, I feel strongly that it is not.
10.4% (31 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Apparently this is a thing a lot of people think, so I'm curious.
#2daemon_danPosted 1/6/2014 1:43:43 AM
What do YOU think it is?
---
"Frightened by your own smell. Bitterness will run you through."
~In Flames: Bullet Ride
#3spud_almightyPosted 1/6/2014 1:52:17 AM
Why would it not be an RPG?
#4Sk0rbutPosted 1/6/2014 1:54:02 AM(edited)
Why not, rpg is a pretty sketchy label anyway.
---
I am the bringer of death. Fall to your knees and beg for mercy... Or give me a sandwich, I'm pretty hungry.
#5calcyclePosted 1/6/2014 1:54:54 AM
It's more of an rpg than the legend of Zelda, I don't know why people think it is.
---
Do not add to the Chocolate of Coach, or worship false Bills for this will imprison thou within the Blood Harvest finale for all eternity
Steam: Albatrossing
#6SmudgieMuffins(Topic Creator)Posted 1/6/2014 1:57:49 AM
daemon_dan posted...
What do YOU think it is?

My short answer would be yes, so if that's all you wanted I wont bore you.

But oh man, I could go on for pages about what I consider the core aspects of what an RPG is. Because this is what's on my mind rather than social interaction or something. By the definition I like so far, Minecraft is an RPG, which is probably strange to a lot of people. Because to me, the point an RPG, unsurprisingly, is to put you in a role and simulate it with great detail. Minecraft very much makes me feel like a miner or farmer or whatever, and I have to consider every little aspects of everything I do. Whereas in a NON-RPG, let's take COD for simplicity's sake, I don't have to consider as many things. It's just implied that my character did everything you had to do to become a soldier and then everything you had to deal with thereafter. In a theoretical RPG COD, you would have to train your character to a certain point, pass a test of some sorts to become a soldier. Then every day you'd have to dress yourself in the right attire then show up at certain times. And you would have to deal with every little thing along the way. To me, it's the least movie-ish of game genres. You get to deal with everything from watching your character fight epic battles with dragons to picking out his wardrobe that morning.
#7daemon_danPosted 1/6/2014 2:07:59 AM
SmudgieMuffins posted...
daemon_dan posted...
What do YOU think it is?

My short answer would be yes, so if that's all you wanted I wont bore you.

But oh man, I could go on for pages about what I consider the core aspects of what an RPG is. Because this is what's on my mind rather than social interaction or something. By the definition I like so far, Minecraft is an RPG, which is probably strange to a lot of people. Because to me, the point an RPG, unsurprisingly, is to put you in a role and simulate it with great detail. Minecraft very much makes me feel like a miner or farmer or whatever, and I have to consider every little aspects of everything I do. Whereas in a NON-RPG, let's take COD for simplicity's sake, I don't have to consider as many things. It's just implied that my character did everything you had to do to become a soldier and then everything you had to deal with thereafter. In a theoretical RPG COD, you would have to train your character to a certain point, pass a test of some sorts to become a soldier. Then every day you'd have to dress yourself in the right attire then show up at certain times. And you would have to deal with every little thing along the way. To me, it's the least movie-ish of game genres. You get to deal with everything from watching your character fight epic battles with dragons to picking out his wardrobe that morning.

So by your own criteria, how is minecraft an RPG? You certainly didn't take the steps to learn how to mine, farm, or craft things. Just derp out a tool and you're apparently a master with it. You can somehow build houses, furnaces, fences etc having never done it before. You don't pick out what you wear. You certainly don't take fatigue into consideration (no hunger doesn't count).
---
"Frightened by your own smell. Bitterness will run you through."
~In Flames: Bullet Ride
#8SmudgieMuffins(Topic Creator)Posted 1/6/2014 2:22:42 AM
daemon_dan posted...
So by your own criteria, how is minecraft an RPG? You certainly didn't take the steps to learn how to mine, farm, or craft things. Just derp out a tool and you're apparently a master with it. You can somehow build houses, furnaces, fences etc having never done it before. You don't pick out what you wear. You certainly don't take fatigue into consideration (no hunger doesn't count).

Problem with this definition is that the level of detail required is an arbitrary line. I assume at this point we agree that Skyrim meets this criteria, correct me if I'm mistaken. Even in Skyrim, you don't do EVERYTHING. You didn't watch your character grow up. You don't consider hunger in Skyrim, unless you have mods. You didn't have to learn the mechanics and physics of how magic works to make a fireball, although that could make for a cool game mechanic potentially.

Minecraft still makes you learn and understand the world though. You did have to learn which ore veins were worth the effort and which weren't. You had to consider if there was enough daylight left to go out and get whatever you wanted. You had to determine if you had enough food to make the journey you wanted to make safely. And so on and so on. The point is, at least for me, I felt like a miner. Almost certainly wasn't realistic, but hell if I know what mining is actually like. Not just in the sense that I felt like I have to consider everything about my mining practices, but also that I had other things to do. Extrinsic goals totally separate from the more concrete ones. A "real" miner would have an at home life. He might want pets. He wants a nice house with some decorations. Despite it being completely useless, I care about every little minutiae of my life. And I guess the core point is I describe my time in an RPG as a life. I felt like I was living a full life. Minecraft delivers on that, whereas in COD, I don't feel like I lived a chunk of a guy's life, just the important parts.

That, course, opens up a whole other can of worms. Like Sims should probably be an RPG. Which isn't something I had considered up to this point.
#9wizardmonPosted 1/6/2014 2:29:44 AM
http://puu.sh/6brRp.png

Found Ning's vote guys.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#10Bellum_SacrumPosted 1/6/2014 3:09:30 AM
It's a sandbox with RPG elements, and even calling it an Action-RPG can be a stretch.

It's not a real RPG, mainly due to how the combat works.
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."