This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Started the new year with a DUI, recommend games since I wont be going out

#71KillerTrufflePosted 1/6/2014 1:11:06 PM(edited)
Personally, I have zero tolerance for drunk driving. In my opinion, if you even have one drink, you shouldn't drive, just as a matter of habit and principle. No, one drink won't really alter you (depending on how hard it is, I guess). But if you're fine driving after one drink, there's nothing really wrong with two then... and it becomes a "game" of sorts, figuring out just where to draw the line. And when you start pushing it like that, you're risking going overboard at some point and potentially hurting someone.

I have personally seen the direct effects of DUI multiple times, both as a firefighter/EMT and in my personal life. I have been the first medical person to happen across an accident while I was off duty where someone I *knew* was driving drunk and crossed the line to hit another car with a family including a father, pregnant mother, toddler, grandpa, and grandma. The grandma was ejected from the van when the side door was ripped off, and went face first into a stone wall. Her jaw was largely missing, her nose was completely gone, her cheekbones and upper jaw were crushed, and the skin was ripped off 90% of her face. She was still conscious and breathing, gurgling blood, and while she couldn't talk, she was still responsive. She was airlifted, and ended up dying two days later in the hospital. The kid that hit them was "not that drunk," but he killed someone. That's just one of many stories I have *personal* experience with, so my tolerance/patience for drunk driving of ANY level is pretty much nonexistent.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#72Master_BassPosted 1/6/2014 1:13:50 PM
This topic didn't disappoint.
---
Many Bothans died to bring you this post.
#73SlaynPosted 1/6/2014 1:25:45 PM
I recommend an educational math game.
---
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505
#74protools1983(Topic Creator)Posted 1/6/2014 1:26:29 PM
ATTN KillerTruffle posted...

I agree with you 100%. I know because this is the internet people are just going to put me down because I'm an easy target. I accept full responsibility for my actions and will be paying for it. This certainly has made me think critically about the whole situation. Too late you might say but at least I have the opportunity to change my ways without anyone getting hurt.
---
Xbox One - The console that made me the PC gamer I am today.
Yah like dahgs?
#75DV8ingSourcesPosted 1/6/2014 1:37:18 PM
protools1983 posted...

I agree with you 100%. I know because this is the internet people are just going to put me down because I'm an easy target. I accept full responsibility for my actions and will be paying for it. This certainly has made me think critically about the whole situation. Too late you might say but at least I have the opportunity to change my ways without anyone getting hurt.

Thank you if this is genuine. Seriously.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB RAM | 770 + 670 physx | 256 SSD | 8TB HDD | Win 8.1 64bit | ax1200w | CM690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#76JKatarnPosted 1/6/2014 1:49:10 PM(edited)
KillerTruffle posted...
Personally, I have zero tolerance for drunk driving. In my opinion, if you even have one drink, you shouldn't drive, just as a matter of habit and principle. No, one drink won't really alter you (depending on how hard it is, I guess). But if you're fine driving after one drink, there's nothing really wrong with two then... and it becomes a "game" of sorts, figuring out just where to draw the line. And when you start pushing it like that, you're risking going overboard at some point and potentially hurting someone.

I have personally seen the direct effects of DUI multiple times, both as a firefighter/EMT and in my personal life. I have been the first medical person to happen across an accident while I was off duty where someone I *knew* was driving drunk and crossed the line to hit another car with a family including a father, pregnant mother, toddler, grandpa, and grandma. The grandma was ejected from the van when the side door was ripped off, and went face first into a stone wall. Her jaw was largely missing, her nose was completely gone, her cheekbones and upper jaw were crushed, and the skin was ripped off 90% of her face. She was still conscious and breathing, gurgling blood, and while she couldn't talk, she was still responsive. She was airlifted, and ended up dying two days later in the hospital. The kid that hit them was "not that drunk," but he killed someone. That's just one of many stories I have *personal* experience with, so my tolerance/patience for drunk driving of ANY level is pretty much nonexistent.

I'd have to agree with you as my father has been a police officer/sergeant for several decades, and I have a cousin who's a volunteer firefighter. I've heard my share of accident stories. If you're willing to potentially put others lives at risk because you're too arrogant/impatient to wait for the alcohol to pass through your system/have someone else drive/call a cab etc. I have zero sympathy for you. In TC's case it sounds like he's being very mature about it, I'm more addressing the weekend alcoholics out there.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#77protools1983(Topic Creator)Posted 1/6/2014 1:54:49 PM(edited)
DV8ingSources posted...
protools1983 posted...

Thank you if this is genuine. Seriously.

As genuine as it gets. I like to joke around a lot but this ain't funny. I'm happy to be alive and also to be free. If I don't use this to learn something then I AM a fool.

Thank you for being human and having compassion in a place where, let's face it, is very rare indeed.
---
Yah like dahgs?
#78protools1983(Topic Creator)Posted 1/6/2014 2:00:11 PM
JKatarn posted...

I'd have to agree with you as my father has been a police officer/sergeant for several decades, and I have a cousin who's a volunteer firefighter. I've heard my share of accident stories. If you're willing to potentially put others lives at risk because you're too arrogant/impatient to wait for the alcohol to pass through your system/have someone else drive/call a cab etc. I have zero sympathy for you. In TC's case it sounds like he's being very mature about it, I'm more addressing the weekend alcoholics out there.

Thanks man, to be honest I'm not much of a drinker at all. It was a momentary lapse of judgment that surely will not happen again.

I was in general population all night with violent cretins. To be treated the same way as them is the most frightening, humbling, isolating and downright saddest feelings I've experienced in a loooong time. I will not soon forget.
---
Yah like dahgs?
#79KillerTrufflePosted 1/6/2014 2:08:50 PM(edited)
I have a friend/former roommate who admitted to us he drove home drunk once. I gave him a good earful for that, and was pretty pissed at him for a while, but I also believe that's the last time he drove drunk. In fact, barely a week after that happened, two of his coworkers were killed driving drunk - they were the ones who were drunk this time, so at least they didn't kill someone else, but people close to him died as a direct result of driving drunk, so that kind of gave him a reality check, especially so soon after being verbally reamed for driving drunk.

I have another friend who had gotten himself a DUI, out on a country dirt road with *no* one around. He managed to get his car stuck in the ditch - not even crashed, just stuck, and a cop had seen his car, stopped to help, found he was drunk, and hit him with a DUI. Just the hassle of the ticket and court dates and stuff, causing lost time from work, was enough to be a reality check for him.

I do hope it changes for you and you can be mindful of it in the future. I actually find it easiest to just not drink at all. I don't expect that of my friends, but I do expect them to be intelligent about their choices.

Definitely glad no one got hurt in this case.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#80protools1983(Topic Creator)Posted 1/6/2014 2:14:08 PM
We got pulled over because my friends tags were expired (doh!) and he smelled the booze on my friend. Friend was pretty drunk.

Y'know, alcohol has many bad connotations with me anyhow. I find it pathetic that all my friends want to do is go to bars and drink. Literally 99% of my social circle is like that. It's quite depressing actually. Ever since college I've been attempting to make friends with different hobbies and the search has been less than fruitful. The midwest is absolutely bonkers with the drinking.

Besides the legal reasons there are two very large things about this that are eating me up inside. 1. I cant tell anyone. My father is an old school hard ass and mom would just worry to no end. 2. Like I've stated before, I'm the one busting my friends chops all the time for wanting to do nothing but drink. Yet here I am, in this pathetic situation.
---
Yah like dahgs?