This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is a UDP Loop?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What is a UDP Loop?
1 year ago#1
My Internet has been going out lately. So I went into my Belkin router firewall log, and it showed UDP Loop twice. What exactly is this? And if it's harmful, is there any way to stop it?

Or could my Internet be going out because it's only 12 degrees outside?
---
Barack Obama makes George Bush look like a genius.
GTA has one of the worst communities ever.
1 year ago#2
https://www.google.com/search?q=udp+loop
I'm not telling you that to be an ass, because I googled it myself not knowing what a UDP loop is (UDP I understand, loop I understand, not the two together), and the three top results mention something about UDP loops and Belkin routers.
I doubt it has much to do with the temperature outside.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
1 year ago#3
Likely an attempted denial service attack. If you see those messages in router logs, it means the router is detecting and mitigating the attack. Not much else you can do about it but it should not be harmful, unless your seeing pages of those messages constantly.

If you are on cable for internet, temperature can play a big part in RF levels. Log into your modem and let me know what you are seeing for forward path / return path power levels and your signal to noise ratios and I'll tell you if you are in spec or if there is any issues.
---
i5 3570k@4.7GHz, Antec Kulher H2O 920, SLI EVGA GTX670's, GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H, 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Genesis, XFX Pro750W Core PSU
1 year ago#4
Shub posted...
https://www.google.com/search?q=udp+loop
I'm not telling you that to be an ass, because I googled it myself not knowing what a UDP loop is (UDP I understand, loop I understand, not the two together), and the three top results mention something about UDP loops and Belkin routers.
I doubt it has much to do with the temperature outside.

I Googled it, too. I'm just trying to figure out exactly what it is, and what I can do to stop it.
---
1 year ago#5
zerodefect posted...
Likely an attempted denial service attack. If you see those messages in router logs, it means the router is detecting and mitigating the attack. Not much else you can do about it but it should not be harmful, unless your seeing pages of those messages constantly.

If you are on cable for internet, temperature can play a big part in RF levels. Log into your modem and let me know what you are seeing for forward path / return path power levels and your signal to noise ratios and I'll tell you if you are in spec or if there is any issues.

What? Sorry man. I'm not a computer whiz, my friend, so I don't know what most of that means LOL.
---
1 year ago#6
There is nothing you can do to stop it short of changing your IP address. It's an external issue, and your Belkin router will not provide you the advanced configuration options you would need to prevent it completely (would loose functionality in the process). The point is, if you are seeing the messages, the router is already preventing the issue. There is nothing more than needs to be done. If you don't want to see it, you could always disable security logging.
---
i5 3570k@4.7GHz, Antec Kulher H2O 920, SLI EVGA GTX670's, GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H, 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Genesis, XFX Pro750W Core PSU
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What is a UDP Loop?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived