This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Apparently the Bioshock games are pretty good?

#1Sephiroth311Posted 1/6/2014 12:40:18 PM
Is it best to start with the first one or is the latest one the best? There's currently three games in the series isn't there?
---
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!
#2PhilOnDezPosted 1/6/2014 12:42:17 PM
If you want to play them all I'd either go 1-2-3 or 3-1-2 (infinite being 3). 2 was my favorite of the three.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#3pothocketPosted 1/6/2014 12:42:49 PM
All of them are "the best" in their own way.

The first game has the best setting and atmosphere. The second game has the best gameplay. The third has the best narrative.

So you might as well play them in order.
#4Ch3wyPosted 1/6/2014 12:43:00 PM
The first one was excellent at the time, but hasn't aged that well. Still worth a play.

Second one is the first one with better combat but it's not liked as much. I found it to be a little repetitive myself. I personally think you can skip this one if you want.

Infinite is great, although some aspects are a little more dumbed down. Highly praised by everyone but hipsters.

As far as story goes, it doesn't really matter. They're not directly connected.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#5DragonRaizenPosted 1/6/2014 12:45:21 PM
Ch3wy posted...
The first one was excellent at the time, but hasn't aged that well. Still worth a play.

Second one is the first one with better combat but it's not liked as much. I found it to be a little repetitive myself. I personally think you can skip this one if you want.

Infinite is great, although some aspects are a little more dumbed down. Highly praised by everyone but hipsters.

Kinda. Infinite loses a bit of its "Woah" factor if you never played 1.
---
-FREEZE!
-I'm a robot, not your refrigerator.
Marvin
#6CatToyPosted 1/6/2014 12:45:51 PM(edited)
Ch3wy posted...

I played through it recently and was baffled by the decision to have right click switch between weapon and plasmid instead of just using the damn plasmid.

There are some keybinds to make it a little less asinine but who thought that was a good idea in the first place?
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.
#7DiviDudePosted 1/6/2014 1:03:09 PM
Play them in order.

And if you really want to be a completionist, check out System Shock 1 and 2 first as these are the spiritual predecessors of sorts to the Bioshock series. (They're good/great in their own right, but you may struggle with some of the older gameplay design depending on what type of gamer you are. System Shock II is regarded as one of the best games ever made.)
#8falc0n030Posted 1/6/2014 1:18:58 PM
I just finished 1 a couple weeks ago and Infinite yesterday (skipped 2), and I definitely recommend playing 1 first. It's worth it. Enhanced the already amazing experience that was Infinite.

If you find 1's combat bad/annoying like I did just set it to easy and you can plow through it in no time to get to the good bits. The last part of the game was kind of bleh all around though.
---
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m96n6tkYSF1rnjlvp.gif
#9ThePCElitistPosted 1/6/2014 1:23:33 PM
Ch3wy posted...

This comment makes no sense at all but okay.
#10Ch3wyPosted 1/6/2014 1:27:55 PM
ThePCElitist posted...
Ch3wy posted...

This comment makes no sense at all but okay.

Why doesn't it make sense?

DragonRaizen posted...

Kinda. Infinite loses a bit of its "Woah" factor if you never played 1.

Yeah, true. I do think it's a good idea to start with 1, but it's not essential to understand Infinite or anything.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.