This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Apparently the Bioshock games are pretty good?

#11_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 1/6/2014 1:02:43 PM
I like the overall experience, ambiance, design, storytelling. I really enjoyed playing through them. But form a gameplay perspective, the games are really not that great.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#12PsythikPosted 1/6/2014 1:22:20 PM
The gameplay is basic at best, almost as basic as Remedy games. I didn't really like the atmosphere of 1&2, but Infinite's is great. The scenery is the only thing that keeps me playing the game.
---
4670k OC | 2GB GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 9-9-9-24 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Win8.1 Pro
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt56/S26DG44B/PsythikViolet_Blooded.jpg
#13PraetorXynPosted 1/6/2014 1:40:53 PM
The first two are great games (2 gets a lot of undeserved hate; I personally thought Spear Gun headshots pinning splicers to walls was worth playing for if nothing else).

Infinite dumbed down the gameplay significantly, and the narrative it gets so praised for is flawed.

The game makes it out like the Booker drowned was the convergence point of all Bookers, so drowning that Booker would make Comstock never exist in any of the infinite worlds. In actuality to achieve that affect, one would have to go back to a time before either of the Leutece's are born and kill one of their parents.

There's also the grandfather paradox, or father in this case, whereby if Elizabeth drowned her father she would never be born to go back and drown her father.

System Shock 2, which BioShock is the spiritual successor to, is a MUCH better game than all three though.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#14Ch3wyPosted 1/6/2014 1:43:32 PM
I hated System Shock 2. I swing a damn wrench at a monkey and it doesn't ****ing hit the damn monkey.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#15codyorrPosted 1/6/2014 2:43:10 PM
Wrong. They aren't very good. The story gets worse and worse as you progress through the 3 games. The first one had a solid story but the second and third lacked any substance.
#16jakisthePosted 1/6/2014 2:57:07 PM
2>1>Infinite
---
-Why is there yogurt in this cap?!
-It used to be milk, but, well, time makes fools of us all. (cookie for reference)::160 cookies given thus far::
#17Carbon_DeoxxysPosted 1/6/2014 2:57:57 PM
Bioshock 1 was a masterpiece.
#18thelocalhentaiPosted 1/6/2014 3:01:47 PM
They are good in a single player/console FPS type of way. Great atmosphere and story but fairly mediocre gameplay.

To me the first felt like the best. Hacking was fun and felt rewarding, the plasmids were very helpful, the passive mods were worth using. It does have the wrench is godly broken though when built specifically (ice wrench/chameleon) so depending on how you use it, it could make the game much less challenging.
#19Dark_SpiretPosted 1/6/2014 3:20:22 PM
Bioshock 1 and Infinite still stand as some of the best presentation youll ever see in a game. there worlds are masterfully crafted and come off as very unique. Superb writing, voice acting, art direction the whole deal. There storys tend to be very intriguing at there worst as long as you dont think about them a whole lot then some of there seams starts to come undone. Still fun to experience tho. Infinite's story alone is a real mind****, once again provided you dont look to deep into it. At the very least its something you WILL remember which i cant say for a lot of games. Bioshock 2 has the unfortunate pleasure of being in the middle and its world comes off as a "been there, done that" vibe and its story and characters dont have that larger than life feel to them, BUT i always found 2's story more methodical and "down to earth" in comparison along with it being a nice contrast to the first games' ideals. I woudlnt say 2's story is as memorable, but its equally as good in its own way with a pretty fantastic ending and build up. That said the dlc for Bioshock 2 is probably the best piece of story content youll expereince in the series. short, but really well done in all regards and something id strongly recommend getting with the series

In terms of gameplay none of them have particularly good shooting mechanics, tho Infinite can be considered the best in that regard with 1's not aging as well. 2 i will consider to be the best. its areas are more involved, combat offers the most options and its general gameplay has been tweaked well. Its a lot of fun to play. Infinite while having the bets shooting unfortunately tones down everything else. you have less options and less room to experiment and explore. Basically it comes off as a more traditional shooter.

in terms of the order id play them in release. 1>2>Minervas Den>Infinite>burial at sea dlc. You can play inf. first, but doing so will rob you of a very memorable scene towards the end since you have no context of the first game.
---
Currently playing: Anno 2070 - Tales of Xillia - Skyrim
#20biohazard1775Posted 1/6/2014 5:46:29 PM
Play System Shock 2, BS1, and BS2 only.
---
http://i.imgur.com/AuuOUVo.png