This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do I like watching Let's Play videos more than actually playing?

#1HighOnPhazonPosted 1/6/2014 12:46:09 PM
Alright, I'm wondering what everyone thinks.

I actually enjoy watching Let's Plays of games that I own, rather than playing them myself.

Why do you think this is? For instance while I have over 160 hours on Civilization V, I actually enjoy watching people on youtube play a game and see what steps they take each turn.

I've had much more enjoyment watching people play strategy games than me playing them myself.

But what's even weirder, is that it only really relates to Strategy games. If I watch let's plays of shooters or RPG's, I'd rather be playing those games myself, but when it comes to RTS, Turn Based etc. Strategy? I'd rather watch someone else.
---
PC / WII U / 3DS
i5 3570K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB/ Corsair TX650
#2Spidey555Posted 1/6/2014 12:49:13 PM
I am the same way with some games as well. I prefer to watch someone else play it rather than myself.
Especially games like Dark Souls where I have no patience or skill to play.
---
360 GT: FiendishFiend
Steam: Spidey555
#3water1111Posted 1/6/2014 12:49:53 PM
Its more fun to watch rts, mobas and turn based strategy games because if you don't invest millions of hours there's little to no fun in actually playing them, its funner to watch others play because they actually know what they're doing.

FPS's are terrible to watch because you don't need to invest millions of hours to actually enjoy the game.
---
You are born Free but taxed to death
#4TimePharaohPosted 1/6/2014 1:13:45 PM
Probably because you're terrible at games, so watching someone even marginally better than you (eg. everyone on the planet) gives you a false sense of accomplishment that you can never actually achieve, what with being terrible and all
---
HE are genius, firstly. - ASlaveObeys
GestapoFAQs http://i.imgur.com/prqCDHz.png http://i.imgur.com/ooNGE4u.png
#5superstud69xPosted 1/6/2014 1:18:10 PM
I like watching games that I'll never play myself- either cause I'm not interested (bioshock, deus ex, etc), or I don't have the means of playing it myself (i.e. not the right console). Or some people I just like, like HCBailley.
---
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
#6HighOnPhazon(Topic Creator)Posted 1/6/2014 5:59:24 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
Probably because you're terrible at games, so watching someone even marginally better than you (eg. everyone on the planet) gives you a false sense of accomplishment that you can never actually achieve, what with being terrible and all

That could be.
---
PC / WII U / 3DS
i5 3570K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB/ Corsair TX650