This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Friend's laptop turned off and won't turn on

#1BowsaaPosted 1/6/2014 12:49:19 PM
He says that he booted it up to see why his new phone wasn't activating, left the room for a minute, then came back and it was off. Upon trying to turn it back on, the power button lights up for a few seconds and the speakers make a little sound, sort of staticy, then a couple seconds later the sound is made again and it shuts down.

I'm not quite sure what the issue could be here; He pulled out the battery and held the power button for a bit, then tried to start it and nothing happened.

I'd try to troubleshoot it, but I need to go to work, so I'm typing this out for him, since doing it on his phone would be a bit of a pain. His gfaqs username is nstacom, so any questions should be relegated to him.
---
RENAMON!! *weeping* YOU HAVEN'T BENT ANYONE OVER THE SINK AND SHOVED A "CHECK THE STICKY* UP THEIR ASS IN MONTHS!! *curls into ball crying*- Cither3000
#2burn420247Posted 1/6/2014 1:03:41 PM
try pulling the CMOS battery, and leave it out for 3-5 mins, re-insert, and try to boot again.

the CMOS battery on laptops are in hard to reach, hard to locate areas generally:

a pic for reference:
http://img.youtube.com/vi/cC-ENI87hgk/0.jpg

may be hiding under the RAM, taking RAM out should reveal the CMOS in some cases.
---
Boxer Santaros: I'm a pimp. And pimps don't commit suicide.
#3PsythikPosted 1/6/2014 1:05:48 PM
Sounds like the PSU is toast. Since they're built into the laptop cable try buying another one. If that doesn't work, chances are the MoBo went bad. How old is the laptop?
---
4670k OC | 2GB GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 9-9-9-24 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Win8.1 Pro
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt56/S26DG44B/PsythikViolet_Blooded.jpg
#4nstacomPosted 1/6/2014 8:37:24 PM
It won't boot off battery or power supply, the laptop is a lenovo y500 and is about 7 months old.
---
FC: 5241-1958-4603 TN: Metronia
#5jelly2008Posted 1/6/2014 10:02:35 PM
Hmmm. Your friend'll have to get it checked by a pro. Cuz not sure where the problem exactly lies.
---
Intel C2D E7500/ Intel DG41RQ/ CM GX550W Bronze/ ASUS ENGTS450 DirectCU/ 4GB Transcend DDR2-800 RAM/ Seagate 320GB + 1TB HDD/ Hitachi 250GB HDD/ Win 8.1 64-bit
#6wildog2006Posted 1/6/2014 10:15:53 PM
BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING

Don't open it and void any existing warranty. Being 7 months old I can guarantee it still has a manufacturers warranty on it, unless it was purchased used or you did something stupid to it. Contact the place where it was purchased and see if they can fulfill the warranty. If not, get in touch with Lenovo and have them repair/replace it.

Again.

If you didn't do anything stupid, IE: spill anything on it, drop it, throw it, or take it apart and it is less than one year old it still has a warranty on it, you should not try to fix it yourself first.
---
Insert generic offensive/slightly racist/holier than thou/fanboy/douchebag/elitist comment here.
#7Mad_Mike86Posted 1/6/2014 11:15:19 PM
Have you tried it without the battery? That's happened to me a few times. Also that battery lock switch might get you too, so check that.
---
"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke
GT - Mad Mike86