This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Thinking of upgrading my Seasonic X PSU for SLI. Do I have to redo my cabling?

#1Artemis_FeiPosted 1/6/2014 7:26:58 PM
I currently have a Seasonic X-750 Modular PSU [SS-750KM3].

My wiring is great and neat, and I really do not want to redo it. If I instead just purchase the same model power supply but with a higher wattage, (I was looking at the 850W for 780 SLI), will I have to redo my wiring?

I bought my 750W a year ago, and it seems they still sell the same model.

Anyone know? I'm still considering SLI, but if it's easy to upgrade my PSU, I might consider it a bit more.
---
CEnco De Mayo. [Proud Participant]
Epic. [1:23]
#2SlaynPosted 1/6/2014 8:16:52 PM
..... what? I mean... you need to unplug all your wires... sooo... I don't get what you're asking?
---
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505
#3blakegallowayPosted 1/6/2014 8:40:24 PM
Slayn posted...
..... what? I mean... you need to unplug all your wires... sooo... I don't get what you're asking?

He's asking if he can use the wires from the old power supply that are currently in the computer without taking them out of the case and undoing his nice cable management.

And the answer is yes. Cables are cables unless you have some cheap no-name PSU that uses bad or rebranded cables.
---
Sometimes death comes knocking.
Sometimes it tears down the walls.
#4Artemis_Fei(Topic Creator)Posted 1/6/2014 9:01:30 PM
blakegalloway posted...
Slayn posted...

He's asking if he can use the wires from the old power supply that are currently in the computer without taking them out of the case and undoing his nice cable management.

And the answer is yes. Cables are cables unless you have some cheap no-name PSU that uses bad or rebranded cables.

Sorry, yeah, what he said.

My PSU is all modular, so the cables can all be taken out, and the power supply itself can be removed without any cables. Like so:

http://i.imgur.com/H5IaGOM.jpg
---
CEnco De Mayo. [Proud Participant]
Epic. [1:23]
#5Flaktrooper123Posted 1/6/2014 9:04:49 PM
No you don't, unless your new PSU has different plugs. Why would you want to upgrade anyway, that is a very good PSU. Better get the platinum if you do.
#6AlleRacingPosted 1/7/2014 5:41:59 AM
The X750 should be able to handle 780 SLI fairly easily. I knew my AX860 was going to be overkill for 780 SLI when I bought it.
---
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8325/scrunchface2copyfx0.png
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/default/alle5.jpg
#7aak57Posted 1/7/2014 6:02:26 AM(edited)
You don't need a new PSU. A 780 SLI setup uses up to 600W from the reviews I've seen (even with OCed CPU).
---
http://i.imgur.com/ULj4q.jpg
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended.
#8ShubPosted 1/7/2014 7:49:40 AM
blakegalloway posted...

That is completely untrue, except in the case where the existing PSU and the one you're replacing the existing one with are identical.
There's no way to know how every pin of every connector is wired under the PSU's external casing, and although the connectors of the modular cables will fit, you don't know if you're connecting something to a +12V pin when it's expecting +5V at the other end, and that is how you damage your computer beyond repair.

That being said, I agree with the last two posters -- there is no need to upgrade your PSU for SLI 780s.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#9DarkZV2BetaPosted 1/7/2014 7:57:50 AM(edited)
Pretty sure all of the X series would use the same modular plugs. They all come with the same sets, after all.
Unless it's an X850 from a different series.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
#10ShubPosted 1/7/2014 8:00:47 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Pretty sure all of the X series would use the same modular plugs. They all come with the same sets, after all.
Unless it's an X850 from a different series.

Yes, that's probably accurate.
I was more concerned about correcting what sounded like a general comment applying to all PSUs. I would imagine that an X750 and an X850, i.e. units of the same series, would have compatible modular cables.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.