This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does copyright law inflate the cost of software?

#1darkstar4221Posted 1/6/2014 9:34:53 PM(edited)
software such as microsoft windows, microsoft office, rosetta stone, adobe software, video games, anti-virus software, etc. Before ISPs threatened to shut down your internet for copyright infringement, pirating Rosetta Stone was very popular. Why pay $400 for a language software when you get it for for free? And let's not forget all the people who pirate adobe photoshop. Then the government added more laws to the DMCA (a draconian copyright law that shouldn't exist) and now you are practically under surveillance.

I can say for certain that copyright law inflates the cost of Microsoft's software since there are no compatible alternatives to windows and office. It also inflates the cost of video games particularly video games overseas in Japan, since publishers need to get a "license" to translate a game.

I think without copyright or copyright that is severely limited, there would be more people buying video games. I say this because consumers understand that developers need to be funded in order to continue creating video games so there would be more voluntary payment. Poor people who don't have a lot of money who can only muster up $25 will pay $25 and that would be good enough. And the cost of hardware would be cheaper, consoles that are more open like Ouya would be more popular, maybe the playstation would be open hardware, who knows.
#2LordSeiferPosted 1/6/2014 9:28:42 PM
Before ISPs threatened to shut down your internet for copyright infringement, pirating Rosetta Stone was very popular.

---
^ this
#3SinisterSlayPosted 1/6/2014 10:13:36 PM
I don't think anyone in russia or china actually buys their software anymore.

Piracy is pretty rampant there. As a result prices are cheaper. Which is why companies have to lock down on russian versions of programs.

The DMCA and so on has no teeth outside the USA. They have a bit of a bark but that's it.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#4Knight2520Posted 1/6/2014 10:29:03 PM
I was going to reply seriously, but then I saw it was a darkstar4221 topic.
---
can u even count 30 in 1 second? no, u can't. so u can't tell difference between 30fps and 60fps. stupid. -Shinobier-
#5The cranky hermitPosted 1/6/2014 10:42:36 PM
The DMCA and so on has no teeth outside the USA.

Gee, I dunno... could that be because DMCA is a U.S. law?

If you wanted to sound like you knew what you were talking about, you should have used WIPO instead of DMCA for your four-letter acronym that you've heard of without really understanding. You'd still be wrong, but proving it wouldn't be as easy.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#6ChromaticAngelPosted 1/6/2014 10:44:41 PM(edited)
SinisterSlay posted...

Piracy is pretty rampant there. As a result prices are cheaper. Which is why companies have to lock down on russian versions of programs.

The DMCA and so on has no teeth outside the USA. They have a bit of a bark but that's it.

I'm sure this is true for a lot of software, but Russia is actually Valve's #2 most profitable country.
---
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.
#7SinisterSlayPosted 1/6/2014 10:45:07 PM
The cranky hermit posted...
The DMCA and so on has no teeth outside the USA.

Gee, I dunno... could that be because DMCA is a U.S. law?

If you wanted to sound like you knew what you were talking about, you should have used WIPO instead of DMCA for your four-letter acronym that you've heard of without really understanding. You'd still be wrong, but proving it wouldn't be as easy.

TC spoke of the DMCA being the problem, so that's all I spoke about.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#8SinisterSlayPosted 1/6/2014 10:47:16 PM
ChromaticAngel posted...
SinisterSlay posted...

I'm sure this is true for a lot of software, but Russia is actually Valve's #2 most profitable country.

That's funny, I wonder if it's people buying for resale.
---
#9The cranky hermitPosted 1/6/2014 10:51:25 PM

And you talked about it like it was an international law that all the countries outside USA are ignoring, hence proving that you have no idea what you are talking about.

You also seem to think that DMCA is what makes piracy illegal.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#10SinisterSlayPosted 1/6/2014 10:56:05 PM
The cranky hermit posted...

And you talked about it like it was an international law that all the countries outside USA are ignoring, hence proving that you have no idea what you are talking about.

You also seem to think that DMCA is what makes piracy illegal.

You misread me entirely, the TC spoke as if it was law.
I said they have no teeth, just bark. They can yell at you from across the world, but they can't do s*** about it.

However USA agencies could get your local agencies to arrest you if your breaking a local law.
---