This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How come 30 fps on consoles looks smoother than 30 fps on PC?

#11ShebeskiiPosted 1/7/2014 12:06:10 AM
aak57 posted...
Motion blur. Console games typically add gobs of motion blur to make the lower FPS appear smoother.

Even then, usually the same motion blur exists on the PC version, but it's even higher quality. Doesn't help 30FPS from looking rather unsatisfactory.

I'm tell you. It's all about distance. No doubt how much of your field of view is taken up by the screen matter, but is it the distance alone, the percentage of your fov, or some mixture of the two?
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#12wdfosterPosted 1/7/2014 12:06:31 AM
I thought it depends on the refresh rate of the TV or monitor.

30 FPS on a 30-60 hz TV isn't as jarring as 30 FPS on a 120 hz monitor.

I played GTA5 on my 360 which was hooked up to my 120 hz monitor and it was pretty difficult to get past the aliasing and framerate. However, when I hooked it up to my 60 hz TV, not so bad, pretty tolerable.
---
Steam ID - Madmartigan
#13WyzeGyePosted 1/7/2014 12:09:19 AM
You're sitting closer to the monitor.
---
http://i.imgur.com/e4IiIHn.png
#14Flaktrooper123Posted 1/7/2014 12:11:20 AM
Because you pushed your setting to the limit most likely. Consoles already forced the game to run at medium setting on a resolution which cannot be changed, while you are forcing the game on PC to run at 1920x1080 or above on Ultra so that could be the case.
#15Rolen47Posted 1/7/2014 12:11:57 AM
Slow controls also play a part. Most console games force you to use low sensitivity while a lot of people play PC games with high sensitivity. When you aren't jumping around and flicking your mouse back and forth in each direction in less than 0.1 second it will be much smoother.
#16popping4itPosted 1/7/2014 12:21:25 AM
has much more to do with disparity in framerate

if something is running 30fps on consoles for example halo 3 it tends to stay at 30fps exactly no judder for 99% of the time.

on pc if you lock the framerate at 30fps it will look just the same. but you will rarely run into instances on pc where you will want to lock the framerate instead you tend to just run at an unlocked framerate and the game bounces between 60 to 20. framerates on pc are erratic as hell its why people dump a bunch of money into their pc because pc game rendering is essentially brute force since nothing is very well optimized.

youtube is capped at 30fps but i bet many dont know this. basically the eye is very good at noticing judder and screen tearing (things common in pc) DESPITE these things being shown for only 1/60th of a second its a flash an instant but we are able to perceive things like this our eyes are pretty amazing.
---
whens mahvel?
#17Arsene-LupinPosted 1/7/2014 12:46:52 AM
I've been wondering the same thing.

Shebeskii posted...
It's about distance.

Sitting a fair distance from your TV, like in the case of console gaming, greatly reduces the juddering effect of low framerates, but you also lose immersion sitting so far and having the display take up a much smaller section of your vision..

I think people often over look what distance to the display does for the perception of fluidity, as well the degree to which the illusion is convincing. It's not just customization, control and higher fidelity that keep people PC enthusiasts. A personal, close display really changes the experience, and different technical requirements come into play. At least I firmly believe so.

60FPS always matters, but it matters much more for the illusion (if we're to achieve one at all) if your display takes up the majority of your field of view.

It's really not. I have my PS3 hooked up to my PC monitor, and I've long noticed that games locked at 30fps on the PS3 look a lot smoother than PC games that stay at 50+.

I think the reason this happens is that consoles will (usually) keep up a constant framerate, whereas PCs will not. A framerate that's at a stable 30fps will always look smoother (because it IS smoother) than a PC framerate that is usually at 60+ but occassionally dips down to 45.

What matters isn't really WHAT the framerate is, but rather the rate's constancy.
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
#18fire2boxPosted 1/7/2014 1:24:15 AM
Panopictonguy posted...
Locked effects, lower resolution etc.

I'm sure if you turn down all the special effects and set the resolution to 1600x900 you could easily hold 30fps in any game with a 7870.

7870's can do far more then that. I get 60 fps on 1080p with mostly high and some medium settings in BF4. Turned off AA since its pointless with the amount of running you'll do.
---
Ivy bridge i5 3570k @3.40GHz | 8 GB DDR3 | single XFX 7870| OCZ 600W Modular. Nvidia, AMD, Intel for life!!
3DS FC: 2208-5221-4039
#19DarkZV2BetaPosted 1/7/2014 4:42:27 AM
A lot of HDTVs have really bad response/transition times, which can somewhat disguise bad framerates.
Besides that, it'd be that you're not actually getting a stable 30fps on the PC game that you're comparing to.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
#20Born LuckyPosted 1/7/2014 7:01:52 AM
I play Divinity 2 on PC locked at 30 fps, and it's smooth as silk. Like someone else said, 30 fps is fine if it's constant. You don't need 60 fps for a game to run smoothly.
---
I was talking to the parrot - Poirot