This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

1440p/120hz+/Gsync - PG278Q

#11aak57Posted 1/7/2014 7:08:28 AM
Huh, wouldn't a pivoted TN look bad?
---
http://i.imgur.com/ULj4q.jpg
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended.
#12SnadadosPosted 1/7/2014 7:11:46 AM
I would really like to play games with g-sync but until I can get, at minimum, a 32 inch tv / monitor for $400 - $500 I'm not buying anything.
---
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?
#13PraetorXynPosted 1/7/2014 7:15:47 AM
if it's not an IPS panel I really don't care. I'm waiting for a Gsync version of the PB278Q.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#14DarkZV2BetaPosted 1/7/2014 7:20:44 AM
Conker posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Conker posted...
Wow, I've had my Catleap running at 120hz going on 2 years in a couple months...and to think I only paid $350, what a steal! Perfect panel with no dead pixels or anything.

Why does the listing for why it's not IPS say because the response rate is not fast enough to react at the refresh rate required, when there are other IPS panels that have worked fine at 120+hz? The part after that says they can't reliably achieve it without affecting picture quality, but does anyone else think that's BS? People with calibrated Catleaps running at 120+hz have said the picture quality is top notch with very low response times and sites have done tests for lag and the response time has been very fast (<2ms) because of the very basic PCB and OSD controls to keep any delay to a minimum, etc.

Because the response time of IPS panels isn't generally fast enough that the pixels will transition in a 120th of a second.

You really didn't actually say anything different than what I posted.

Also, "isn't generally fast enough" isn't really indicative of much. Are you suggesting that it would just be too costly for them to produce an IPS panel that is fast enough for the market they're targeting, or that it isn't possible at all to keep an acceptable level of quality? How much do you really lose by doing so? From what I've looked into it, it just doesn't seem to be the case and they can do 120hz just fine for what most users consider good quality.

The cost to response time ratio of IPS vs TN will always very heavily favor TN panels. On top of needing displays that will do 120hz guaranteed with a variety of hardware(those korean monitors don't, btw. That's why some sellers recommend specific cards/brands.), it needs to have fast enough response times across the board to make use of that.
Panels of that calibre are not cheap, and would further inflate the already high cost of the display, which would mean a smaller viable market, which means larger margins per monitor to keep profits up, which means an even smaller viable market, ect.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
#15ConkerPosted 1/7/2014 10:42:55 AM
So it's just a cost thing and their comment about it for not using an IPS panel really isn't true outside of keeping the cost down. I'm fine with that, but the fact my $350 overclocked Catleap with an IPS panel from 2yrs ago can do it is just funny to me.
---
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!
#16Cool_Dude667Posted 1/7/2014 10:57:18 AM
Conker posted...
So it's just a cost thing and their comment about it for not using an IPS panel really isn't true outside of keeping the cost down. I'm fine with that, but the fact my $350 overclocked Catleap with an IPS panel from 2yrs ago can do it is just funny to me.

Yeah but what are the chances the overclock on your Catleap wouldn't work or have minimal effect?
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#17DarkZV2BetaPosted 1/7/2014 11:29:37 AM
Conker posted...

Your $350 catleap is not designed to run at 120hz, does not have the pixel transition time of a true 120hz display, and likely can't maintain 120hz across all video hardware.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
#18PraetorXynPosted 1/7/2014 12:06:25 PM
You can't overclock those monitors to 120 Hz anyway.
It will top out at something like 108 Hz.

Using one of those monitors also means you only get Dual Link DVI, which I don't like because that doesn't have the bandwidth for multiple 1440p displays.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#19electroflamePosted 1/7/2014 12:39:53 PM
A TN monitor for the low cost of $800!

---
Could be worse, they could have been American givers and you would have been smothered in small pox. -fakenamefignuts on Indian-Giving.
Steam ID: electroflame
#20ConkerPosted 1/7/2014 8:04:20 PM(edited)
Yeah but what are the chances the overclock on your Catleap wouldn't work or have minimal effect?

The chances? Considering the PCB was shipped to me to be capable of doing it and I installed it myself, I'd say 100% chances of it working, and having minimal effect...you might as well say "What's the chance of it having minimal effect on any 120hz monitor." Doesn't make sense, when it can do it, it does it.

Your $350 catleap is not designed to run at 120hz, does not have the pixel transition time of a true 120hz display, and likely can't maintain 120hz across all video hardware.

Maybe it wasn't initially, but I got the PCB to overclock by ordering this specific model through the guy that setup 120hz.net. Please explain in detail the differences in viewing experience between this and a display that does have the pixel transition time of a true 120hz display...I guarantee it's nothing, considering I have a 120hz BenQ monitor that looks no better.

You can't overclock those monitors to 120 Hz anyway.
It will top out at something like 108 Hz.

Using one of those monitors also means you only get Dual Link DVI, which I don't like because that doesn't have the bandwidth for multiple 1440p displays.

My monitor tops out at 124hz, and it has been tested with the FPS of games and it IS 124hz. So you're full of s*** thinking it tops out at 108hz. Don't speak on something you don't know what you're talking about.

Yes, it is only Dual-Link DVI, but that has nothing to do with the bandwidth of DL-DVI for multiple displays, it simply means your computer (GPU) doesn't have the ports to output to multiple displays at that resolution and hz. Not the same thing as what you're saying.
---
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!