This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Somebody talk my friends out of FF14

#1TheSchrefPosted 1/7/2014 2:28:20 AM
They're interested in it and they want me to pick it up. We're gamer pals and have been for over 11 years, so usually what they get, I get and vice versa. Since we quit WoW a few years ago, we get the urge for an MMO once in a while. Every single time (except with one MMO) this resulted in us buying an MMO, or downloading a free one, and then playing for a day or two and quitting.

The only MMO this didn't happen with was Rift. We played that for 3 weeks or so. I've tried reminding them of this, but they seems to think FF14 will be different. What can I do to show them this is just a waste of time and money?

Maybe they're right though. Maybe this time it is different and it is worth it!?

OH GOD!
#2Cool_Dude667Posted 1/7/2014 2:36:04 AM(edited)
Give them a week with the game, if they are still active play catchup.
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#3NakkaruPosted 1/7/2014 2:37:51 AM
Show them FATE grinding.

Seriously though, FF14 is nothing special. It's far less distinct from other MMOs than FF11 was, it's much closer to the status quo. The game has nice atmosphere and is fun for a playthrough, so I didn't think it was a waste of money. There was no way I could justify subscribing, however; I had no desire to run the same two dungeons over and over for weeks and weeks, especially not with the unbelievable amount of toxic, rushing players that wanted to skip and exploit everything.

Though I shouldn't have to say this by now, the above is simply my opinion. If you want a full out war and/or dissertation between sides, go post on the actual FF14 boards. You won't be disappointed.
---
Pokemon X ~ 3668-7694-5178 ~ Braixen, Slugma [Safari]
PM me anytime! Looking for active, friendly players on 3DS and Steam http://steamcommunity.com/id/nakkaru
#4BeknessPosted 1/7/2014 2:55:01 AM
Is there a free trial for 30 days? Often MMO's have that, don't they? I'd suggest just trying it and seeing if you like it. If you're going to say you don't want to do it, do they expect you to suggest something better? Honestly, for me, too, who I game with is a huge part of the experience. If you have a special bond with that person/people, the games just seem better, like you're making a memory with them and you look back and laugh at the good times you had together rather than the game itself. Of course that could sound really ridiculous to some.
---
http://www.bewaretherobotsquad.com/
R<3B
#5FeatherwindPosted 1/7/2014 3:01:29 AM
I played it for a month and half after release. I can't say it's a good game but it's not completely worthless. Even though I quitted it very fast I will try playing it again once they release more content.

Despite being a MMORPG it actually has huge amounts of extremely low quality singleplayer content but low amounts of meaningful group content. In fact it's the second worst story of any video game I've ever seen. The leveling experience is boring and torturous. So you have to force yourself to the level cap which takes a while and you can't just powerlevel because you need to do the story quests to unlock group content. Even at level cap you have to mindlessly grind a lot for no good reason at all to get the "welfare" gear sets.

Another issue is bad graphics. There are a handful of okay looking areas (Haukke Manor, Sastasha, the church place) but in general the game is either very bland or aggressively ugly.

So basically it takes like 100 hours or more to even start playing the game because the mindless grinds take so long and it's not eye candy but it does have some fun encounters. I see that they did add new content like Extreme Mode Primals which can be good. Unless your friends are very patient it's not very likely that you all make it to the point where you something else to do than mindless grinding.
---
pathological
#6TheSchref(Topic Creator)Posted 1/7/2014 3:05:29 AM
Bekness posted...
Is there a free trial for 30 days? Often MMO's have that, don't they? I'd suggest just trying it and seeing if you like it. If you're going to say you don't want to do it, do they expect you to suggest something better? Honestly, for me, too, who I game with is a huge part of the experience. If you have a special bond with that person/people, the games just seem better, like you're making a memory with them and you look back and laugh at the good times you had together rather than the game itself. Of course that could sound really ridiculous to some.

Yea, it comes with a free trial, but the game costs 30 dollars so it's not truly a free trial. I don't mind spending 30 on it, though.

The memories thing is pretty much spot on. As sad as it sounds, a lot of my most hilarious life experiences came while gaming with my friends. There are some things that we can bring up once every couple months and tears will just start rolling almost instantly from how stupid/funny it was.

To most people, they wouldn't even crack a smile if they heard the stories, but to us, being there and experiencing them.... so funny. I'm smiling just thinking about them as I type this.

>.<
#7NakkaruPosted 1/7/2014 3:10:09 AM
Featherwind posted...

So basically it takes like 100 hours or more to even start playing the game because the mindless grinds take so long and it's not eye candy but it does have some fun encounters. I see that they did add new content like Extreme Mode Primals which can be good. Unless your friends are very patient it's not very likely that you all make it to the point where you something else to do than mindless grinding.

Did we play the same game? The legit mindless grinding does not start until you're what, level 46? Since there's a three level gap where there was basically nothing except FATE grinding, I'd say it starts there and just never really ends if you ever want to sniff Coil or eventually Crystal. Grinding for relic gear, tomes, etc was just mind-numbingly boring. Everyone looked exactly the same, too, with their relic gear and then Darklight/etc. Just boring.
---
PM me anytime! Looking for active, friendly players on 3DS and Steam http://steamcommunity.com/id/nakkaru
#8BeknessPosted 1/7/2014 3:10:31 AM
TheSchref posted...
Yea, it comes with a free trial, but the game costs 30 dollars so it's not truly a free trial. I don't mind spending 30 on it, though.

The memories thing is pretty much spot on. As sad as it sounds, a lot of my most hilarious life experiences came while gaming with my friends. There are some things that we can bring up once every couple months and tears will just start rolling almost instantly from how stupid/funny it was.

To most people, they wouldn't even crack a smile if they heard the stories, but to us, being there and experiencing them.... so funny. I'm smiling just thinking about them as I type this.

>.<

Aw man, that's great.

It doesn't sound sad to me at all. Anyone who says otherwise just hasn't been lucky enough to experience that special bond. One thing I've noticed with friendships is they're often circumstancial. You meet the people at a common place, be it school or work or whatever. When you find the right person/people it's just the greatest feeling in the world.

I love those moments, too. Inside jokes and all the feelings that come with them.

If you don't mind spending the 30, perhaps it's worth the risk. 30 is something, but it's better than fully committing if you're just not feeling it.

Good luck mate. Keep on hanging out with those awesome friends and you'll be fine.
---
http://www.bewaretherobotsquad.com/
R<3B
#9NakkaruPosted 1/7/2014 3:19:12 AM
TheSchref posted...
Bekness posted...

>.<

I can empathize, I've got a gaming buddy who's been just online for just about 10 years running now. I always play MMOs/FPSs with him, and I did enjoy playing FF14 with him. Based on this post, I'd say go for it for a month at least. $30 won't hurt you, or less if you can find it on a deal somewhere.
---
#10FeatherwindPosted 1/7/2014 3:53:44 AM(edited)
Nakkaru posted...
Featherwind posted...

Did we play the same game? The legit mindless grinding does not start until you're what, level 46? Since there's a three level gap where there was basically nothing except FATE grinding, I'd say it starts there and just never really ends if you ever want to sniff Coil or eventually Crystal. Grinding for relic gear, tomes, etc was just mind-numbingly boring. Everyone looked exactly the same, too, with their relic gear and then Darklight/etc. Just boring.

I agree that it never really ends, but at least you get to do some challenging content instead of spending all your time preparing for it. I at least liked the Garuda and Titan HM fights and the Coil battles were decent too even though they felt a bit shoddy/buggy (never killed Twintania however).

I think the early levels were grindy as well. Just because you level relatively fast didn't change the feel that I was wasting my time and just trying to fill the meters asap so that I could do something else.

I too have played all kinds of games with friends for over a decade now from couch splitscreen games to pen&paper and board games and online multiplayer games. We have played both very casually and pretty seriously etc. Most of the games I would have never played or enjoyed solo. I don't think FF14 is a very good game in this regard because it takes a lot of patience and dedication to play and is probably very hit-or-miss. My friends refused to play it so I had to play solo, but I would have joined a FC if I had played the game for a longer time.
---
pathological