This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Somebody talk my friends out of FF14

#11NakkaruPosted 1/7/2014 4:51:51 AM
Featherwind posted...
Nakkaru posted...
Featherwind posted...

So basically it takes like 100 hours or more to even start playing the game because the mindless grinds take so long and it's not eye candy but it does have some fun encounters. I see that they did add new content like Extreme Mode Primals which can be good. Unless your friends are very patient it's not very likely that you all make it to the point where you something else to do than mindless grinding.

Did we play the same game? The legit mindless grinding does not start until you're what, level 46? Since there's a three level gap where there was basically nothing except FATE grinding, I'd say it starts there and just never really ends if you ever want to sniff Coil or eventually Crystal. Grinding for relic gear, tomes, etc was just mind-numbingly boring. Everyone looked exactly the same, too, with their relic gear and then Darklight/etc. Just boring.

I agree that it never really ends, but at least you get to do some challenging content instead of spending all your time preparing for it. I at least liked the Garuda and Titan HM fights and the Coil battles were decent too even though they felt a bit shoddy/buggy (never killed Twintania however).

I think the early levels were grindy as well. Just because you level relatively fast didn't change the feel that I was wasting my time and just trying to fill the meters asap so that I could do something else.

I guess I may have been too excited to play a new MMO to really notice, haha. Totally possible. I did try and make characters on other servers to play with different friends a few weeks after release, but never made it past 15 on any of them.
---
Pokemon X ~ 3668-7694-5178 ~ Braixen, Slugma [Safari]
PM me anytime! Looking for active, friendly players on 3DS and Steam http://steamcommunity.com/id/nakkaru
#12Benjamin_ButtonPosted 1/7/2014 5:09:59 AM
buy CoD Ghosts and ur friends will buy it too nad will all be happy

your welcome
---
http://i.imgur.com/KNzJR.gif
Macbook Pro Retina i7-3840QM @ 2.8GHz | Nvidia 650m 1GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR3L Ram | 750GB Flash Storage
#13TheSchref(Topic Creator)Posted 1/7/2014 5:13:48 AM
Benjamin_Button posted...
buy CoD Ghosts and ur friends will buy it too nad will all be happy

your welcome

No thanks, Mr. Button!
#14CheeseCurlsPosted 1/7/2014 7:03:54 AM
I've been playing ARR since release and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The only reason I'm playing it is because I thought 1.18-1.23 were fantastic games and I have trouble letting go. Combined with the fact that I know a lot of people on the game.

The game itself however...horrible bland quest grind or horrible bland FATE grind with combat that is just mash buttons. Strategy in harder fights is no existent, its either dodge this cone, dodge this circle, or dodge this line. The strategies in even the hardest fights are usually the same dodge mechanics or something extremely gimmicky instead of clever (twisters on twintania).

Titan Extreme is considered one of the hardest fights, but honestly its pretty much a joke, its just dodging for 5 minutes and killing two adds.

Gear design is pathetic. There isn't anything that sets 2 pieces of gear apart other than a slight bump in stats, and maybe crit hit instead of accuracy. Gear is also extremely vertical to the point where gear gains feel more like additional level progression as opposed to actually gearing.

The crafting system is pretty good if you are into crafting. ARR is the first time in an MMO I have ever max leveled a craft, but I could only do 1 before I got bored with it.
---
Perhaps I am already insane, and am just the last to know.
#15vashtrichamPosted 1/7/2014 7:34:36 AM
Nakkaru posted...
Show them FATE grinding.

Seriously though, FF14 is nothing special. It's far less distinct from other MMOs than FF11 was, it's much closer to the status quo. The game has nice atmosphere and is fun for a playthrough, so I didn't think it was a waste of money. There was no way I could justify subscribing, however; I had no desire to run the same two dungeons over and over for weeks and weeks, especially not with the unbelievable amount of toxic, rushing players that wanted to skip and exploit everything.

Though I shouldn't have to say this by now, the above is simply my opinion. If you want a full out war and/or dissertation between sides, go post on the actual FF14 boards. You won't be disappointed.

Guess you havnt played since 2.1 was released
---
Marvel heroes: Cap and Gambit
#16TheSchref(Topic Creator)Posted 1/7/2014 7:47:21 AM
vashtricham posted...
Nakkaru posted...
Show them FATE grinding.

Seriously though, FF14 is nothing special. It's far less distinct from other MMOs than FF11 was, it's much closer to the status quo. The game has nice atmosphere and is fun for a playthrough, so I didn't think it was a waste of money. There was no way I could justify subscribing, however; I had no desire to run the same two dungeons over and over for weeks and weeks, especially not with the unbelievable amount of toxic, rushing players that wanted to skip and exploit everything.

Though I shouldn't have to say this by now, the above is simply my opinion. If you want a full out war and/or dissertation between sides, go post on the actual FF14 boards. You won't be disappointed.

Guess you havnt played since 2.1 was released

What do you mean?