This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So a "Steam Box" is just a prebuilt with a Steam logo slapped on?

#31SinisterSlayPosted 1/7/2014 8:50:16 AM
Ch3wy posted...
When I had Ubuntu on my laptop everything would stop working whenever I hit the button to toggle the touchpad.

Mine did that too lol.
Can't remember the version though.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#32Ch3wyPosted 1/7/2014 8:51:48 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
Ch3wy posted...
When I had Ubuntu on my laptop everything would stop working whenever I hit the button to toggle the touchpad.

Mine did that too lol.

I was using the one with the kitty. Right before they switched to Unity I believe.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#33SinisterSlayPosted 1/7/2014 8:53:36 AM(edited)
Ch3wy posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Ch3wy posted...

Mine did that too lol.

I was using the one with the kitty. Right before they switched to Unity I believe.

I think it was version 8 in my case... so long ago though....
I never liked Ubuntu anyways, I don't like the MacOS style look with a single top menu serving for all open applications.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#34AsellusPosted 1/7/2014 6:06:47 PM
Unless Valve just totally overlooked the obvious, they probably are using Wine to run games primarily exclusive to Windows. It would cover a good percentage of games released prior to the launch of SteamOS.

Until it gets to the point that stuff just works no way is Valve going to officially endorse using Wine.
#35ChromaticAngelPosted 1/7/2014 6:16:27 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
Judgmenl posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
MercurysMessage posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
That runs Linux.
Last i heard it was based on Ubuntu which is based on Debian testing so it's unstable.

Is this a serious post?

Yes, SteamOS is Linux. When I last heard about its underpinnings it was Ubuntu, has this information changed, do you have something new to add?

It's debian.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1uh7h5/ye_olde_steamose_third_release_smaller_download/

That's a really difficult post to read lol.

So which Debian is it? I hope its rolling on stable.

there is only one Debian. Ubuntu and Ubuntu variants are all based off of Debian. Debian is the original.
---
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.
#36ChromaticAngelPosted 1/7/2014 6:19:24 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
A console needs stable as in it doesn't error

Also tell that to 360 and PS3.
---
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.
#37TimePharaohPosted 1/7/2014 7:11:45 PM
_Marka_Ragnos_ posted...
FoShoMyGansta20 posted...
_Marka_Ragnos_ posted...
Can SteamOS play every game on Steam? If it can only play Linux games then even Mac OS has more games available.

This is true, but more games have been coming out on Linux lately. Valve is trying to convince developers to develop for Linux. That's how the Metro 2 port came about.

I'm just afraid this will perpetuate the myth of, "PC haz no gaems". If someone who is traditionally a console gamer (the demographic for steambox) picks one up and then can't play 90% of the games on the Steam store.

Can you pick up a PS3 and play 90% of console games? Terrible comparison
---
HE are genius, firstly. - ASlaveObeys
GestapoFAQs http://i.imgur.com/prqCDHz.png http://i.imgur.com/ooNGE4u.png
#38FenriswolfPosted 1/7/2014 9:37:33 PM
The only people who will buy this are blind Steam fanboys who will throw money at everything Gaben tells them to. Then they'll discover that most of their apps and games won't even work on Linux, LMAO.
---
Hello
#39WyzeGyePosted 1/7/2014 9:40:19 PM
I don't know if this was corrected or not, but SteamOS isn't based on ubuntu which is based on Debian.

they cut out the middleman and went straight Debian.
---
http://i.imgur.com/e4IiIHn.png
#40SuigintouEVPosted 1/7/2014 10:09:13 PM
It's not bad to see the possibility of linux-based gaming rise. The truth is there are a lot of benefits to this such as:

- Not having to shell out $100 for windows
- Improved driver support for linux if more gamers use it
- benefits to the open source community
- more openGL support

that said i have no interest in Steam Machine or even SteamOS. I will always be a PC builder, and right now my flavour of linux is Mint.
---
Hissatsu!!! Burst Spinning Giga Plasma Marble Screw Drill Maximum Tempest Break Punch - Pretty Arcshin Gurren Robo II