This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PC n00b here, Steam Machine questions

#1pwnater777Posted 1/7/2014 10:37:19 AM
Okay, so I just saw the Steam Machines for the first time this morning, and I have a few questions for the PC master race. I currently have a PS4 that's my main source of gaming, but I'm looking at possibly buying one of the $500 Steam Machines.

- How easy would it be to hook up the Steam Machine to my TV? Yes, I have an HDMI port.
- How smooth would setup be after everything's hooked up?
- I would assume this can get the amazing humble bundle deals, yes?
- Would it be able to play games with amazing, top tier graphics? The most my crummy PC can do now is HL2, obviously showing how little I use it for gaming.
- I would still need a keyboard & mouse, right? Or could I strictly use my DS4?
- Would I be able to also do general PC stuff? (Internet usage, Netflix, really anything)

Any possible help would be GREATLY appreciated. Or if I'm in the wrong place to ask, please point me in the right direction, if you mind.
---
"That's NASCAR tactics."
"Opinions are like magnets, nobody knows how they work." - Foppe
#2ArkonBladePosted 1/7/2014 10:56:43 AM
pwnater777 posted...
Okay, so I just saw the Steam Machines for the first time this morning, and I have a few questions for the PC master race. I currently have a PS4 that's my main source of gaming, but I'm looking at possibly buying one of the $500 Steam Machines.

- How easy would it be to hook up the Steam Machine to my TV? Yes, I have an HDMI port.
- Would it be able to play games with amazing, top tier graphics? The most my crummy PC can do now is HL2, obviously showing how little I use it for gaming.
- Would I be able to also do general PC stuff? (Internet usage, Netflix, really anything)

Any possible help would be GREATLY appreciated. Or if I'm in the wrong place to ask, please point me in the right direction, if you mind.

as easy to hook up as a PS4.

You should be able to get any game on steam though you may want to put windows on it.

Depends on what model you get but even the lowest model should run every game out there for a good while. also you can upgrade the GPU if you want to.

Most games support a controller. don't know if DS4 is supported yet on the PC. but you can always use a xbox controller. also steam has there own controller now as well.

the last thing I would assume so its basically just a PC in a smaller box.
---
SRPG games...i just love them!
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade
#3pwnater777(Topic Creator)Posted 1/7/2014 10:57:45 AM
ArkonBlade posted...
pwnater777 posted...

as easy to hook up as a PS4.

You should be able to get any game on steam though you may want to put windows on it.

Depends on what model you get but even the lowest model should run every game out there for a good while. also you can upgrade the GPU if you want to.

Most games support a controller. don't know if DS4 is supported yet on the PC. but you can always use a xbox controller. also steam has there own controller now as well.

the last thing I would assume so its basically just a PC in a smaller box.

Sweet. Thanks.
---
"That's NASCAR tactics."
#4Lonestar2000Posted 1/7/2014 10:58:02 AM
1. Very easy, GPUs nowadays come with a HDMI port.
2. Steam OS is a really stripped down version of Linux so it should be easy.
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. No, you can use a controller.
6. Probably internet usage but Netflix does not run on Linux,
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#5pwnater777(Topic Creator)Posted 1/7/2014 11:02:02 AM
Thank you both for your help; I'd also appreciate any further info that PC gamers could drop in order to help someone who knows basically nothing about PC gaming, like me (such as pricing for other necessities, requirements to hook up, anything).
---
"That's NASCAR tactics."
#6pwnater777(Topic Creator)Posted 1/7/2014 11:04:45 AM
Also, I'd like to hear opinion on the Steam Machines from people who are already PC gamers. If it's a good idea, if it's worth $500 (or more), if it has equal capabilities, and all that. And would it be able to run mods? Sorry, I'm all over the place here, but I'd love some more info.
---
"That's NASCAR tactics."
#7Dark_SpiretPosted 1/7/2014 11:17:05 AM
pwnater777 posted...
Also, I'd like to hear opinion on the Steam Machines from people who are already PC gamers. If it's a good idea, if it's worth $500 (or more), if it has equal capabilities, and all that. And would it be able to run mods? Sorry, I'm all over the place here, but I'd love some more info.
theoretically it should be able to do all that since it is a pc and it should be able to dual boot with a windows OS for stuff that dont play nice with Linux based stuff. Right now tho its hard to really answer questions since hardly anyone has actually been able to really use it. the systems have not officially launched yet and theres only 300 systems out in the wild to beta testers.
---
Currently playing: Anno 2070 - Tales of Xillia - Skyrim
#8ArkonBladePosted 1/7/2014 9:34:08 PM
pwnater777 posted...

I guess it would be worth it if you really don't want to build your own PC. I have not looked at a lot of the detailed specs of each machine I think there are 13 or more of them right now, I forget. Its pretty much made for people who want a prebuilt PC but want the console feel to it.

So if that's what you are after then yeah should be for you.
---
SRPG games...i just love them!
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade
#9ClouddxPosted 1/7/2014 9:47:46 PM(edited)
For the $500 version the Steam Machine it's definitely worth it, especially if you don't wanna build your own.

The 760 GTX should last you at least 3 years, as my 470 GTX lasted me 4 years and I just upgraded for Xmas(although it coulda lasted me a year or two longer), the 470 GTX is now in use by my brother and he can play everything on medium - high @ 720p.

Of course you'll be able to mod games on the Steam Machine, but for some games Valve has made it as easy as going into the workshop and clicking install. This is the case with Skyrim and some other games, but you're also welcome to mod the games yourself.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#10FenriswolfPosted 1/7/2014 9:52:03 PM
Don't bother, considering that hardly anyone in the PC gaming industry supports Linux or OpenGL, it's just Gaben getting mad over Windows 8. For $500 get yourself a decent gaming PC running Windows 8.1, since Linux cannot play 85% of games running on Windows.
---
Hello