This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The game I'm working on (Spark Rising) just got greenlit on steam :)

#21Marioface5Posted 1/7/2014 6:08:56 PM
JohnnyKooch posted...
Marioface5 posted...
If I may suggest it, if you do add microtransactions for aesthetic content you could also sell a "season pass" of sorts for it. It could be one payment that would give you access to all of the microtransaction content for one price, like maybe $10 or $20 (just a rough idea, I don't mean to undershoot or anything) depending on how much the individual items would cost. People who only wanted specific things would still be able to just pay for them individually, but players who want it all would then have a financially reasonable option as well.

I hate the idea of a "Season Pass" the same amount you and I hate unfair micro-transactions.

It's not ideal at all, but I figured that if there are going to be microtransactions then there could at least be an alternative for people who don't like them.
---
The world gets weirder every day.
PSN: Marioface5
#22PokenubPosted 1/7/2014 6:12:07 PM
Marioface5 posted...
JohnnyKooch posted...
Marioface5 posted...
If I may suggest it, if you do add microtransactions for aesthetic content you could also sell a "season pass" of sorts for it. It could be one payment that would give you access to all of the microtransaction content for one price, like maybe $10 or $20 (just a rough idea, I don't mean to undershoot or anything) depending on how much the individual items would cost. People who only wanted specific things would still be able to just pay for them individually, but players who want it all would then have a financially reasonable option as well.

I hate the idea of a "Season Pass" the same amount you and I hate unfair micro-transactions.

It's not ideal at all, but I figured that if there are going to be microtransactions then there could at least be an alternative for people who don't like them.

Why.. Why put Micro transactions in at all.. Unless I've missed something saying its a f2p game, why micro transactions. I like to feel when I purchase a game, I've purchased the game and everything it has.

And looks quite a bit like Cube World TC.
---
Damn it.. I swear I had something for this..
#23Marioface5Posted 1/7/2014 6:15:11 PM
Pokenub posted...
Marioface5 posted...
JohnnyKooch posted...
Marioface5 posted...

Why.. Why put Micro transactions in at all.. Unless I've missed something saying its a f2p game, why micro transactions. I like to feel when I purchase a game, I've purchased the game and everything it has.

And looks quite a bit like Cube World TC.

I completely agree with you, but since I also know that you can't always convince people to not do things like that I wanted to offer up a compromise of sorts in case things take a turn for the worse. Hopefully the game just won't have any microtransactions, since it is indeed a paid game.
---
The world gets weirder every day.
PSN: Marioface5
#24wizardmonPosted 1/7/2014 6:38:28 PM
Slayn posted...
Did you do a kickstarter project earlier?

Yes, a few of us here backed it.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#25Cpazrun(Topic Creator)Posted 1/7/2014 7:22:32 PM
Marioface5 posted...

Interesting... I've never heard of this kind of approach but it may be worth exploring! At the end of the day, the microtransactions model only works when the player feels like they make the right choice in spending they're money, so giving players more options in the way they spend can never be a bad thing.
---
Working on a voxel-based sandbox strategy game! Check it out at sparkrising.com
#26Cpazrun(Topic Creator)Posted 1/7/2014 7:23:17 PM
Slayn posted...
Did you do a kickstarter project earlier?

That's right, we did it back in September/October and we were successful!
---
Working on a voxel-based sandbox strategy game! Check it out at sparkrising.com
#27arleasPosted 1/7/2014 8:45:48 PM
I've heard stories of really bad devs making millions off of steam so if this game is any good you should make some good money... I took a look at it and it's totally not my thing but good luck.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png
#28Marioface5Posted 1/7/2014 10:41:13 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#29DV8ingSourcesPosted 1/7/2014 11:52:35 PM
Cpazrun posted...
so giving players more options in the way they spend can never be a bad thing.

Actually it can because people like myself see microtransactions and are immediately turned off regardless of the product. You have to understand that many of us older gamers bought games as kids and got 100% of the game. These retail (indie arcade or full AAA) pricetags with additional 'costs' for the complete package are a major deterrent for some of us. Sure its aesthetics but its still content for the game that costs extra. Major DLC is fine if it adds a decent amount of content that wasn't just ripped from the game. Shivering Isles for Oblivion is a great example of DLC done right. I don't like being nickel and dimed for my games. If you want to add small cosmetic items, add it into the game proper and charge 5-10 dollars more.

Borderlands 2, Saints Row 3 and 4 are few examples of horrible dlc models imo. Singular outfits or weapons for a couple bucks. Sure its not bad for one or two items but when the games have 20+ of these 2 dollar packs, you are looking at a full new game when the content REALLY doesn't warrant a new game. I hate microtransactions with a passion and while I respect you keeping it aesthetic only, its still showing little respect to the consumer imo. If you want to do something like that I do recommend a 'cosmetic pack' you can buy that will contain a years worth of dlc or something. Just my opinion on the matter.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB RAM | 770 + 670 physx | 256 SSD | 8TB HDD | Win 8.1 64bit | ax1200w | CM690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#30Broccoli92Posted 1/8/2014 1:48:33 AM
DV8ingSources posted...
Cpazrun posted...
so giving players more options in the way they spend can never be a bad thing.

Actually it can because people like myself see microtransactions and are immediately turned off regardless of the product. You have to understand that many of us older gamers bought games as kids and got 100% of the game. These retail (indie arcade or full AAA) pricetags with additional 'costs' for the complete package are a major deterrent for some of us. Sure its aesthetics but its still content for the game that costs extra. Major DLC is fine if it adds a decent amount of content that wasn't just ripped from the game. Shivering Isles for Oblivion is a great example of DLC done right. I don't like being nickel and dimed for my games. If you want to add small cosmetic items, add it into the game proper and charge 5-10 dollars more.

Borderlands 2, Saints Row 3 and 4 are few examples of horrible dlc models imo. Singular outfits or weapons for a couple bucks. Sure its not bad for one or two items but when the games have 20+ of these 2 dollar packs, you are looking at a full new game when the content REALLY doesn't warrant a new game. I hate microtransactions with a passion and while I respect you keeping it aesthetic only, its still showing little respect to the consumer imo. If you want to do something like that I do recommend a 'cosmetic pack' you can buy that will contain a years worth of dlc or something. Just my opinion on the matter.

I agree with you :)
---
Intel i5 3470 3.20GHz | Sapphire HD 7850 2GB | 8GB RAM | Asrock Z77 PRO3 |WD 1TB| PSU 650w Enermax