This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why isn't hair/cloth simulation more prevalent?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why isn't hair/cloth simulation more prevalent?
3 years ago#1
I finally got around to playing Arkham City and Batman's long cape is just so hypnotic. Fighting games have been doing hair/cloth simulation for nearly a decade but it seems like we barely see it in games these days. I don't think TressFX's "per-strand" simulation is necessary to have good looking hair (or cloth) as DoA has demonstrated, anything is better than the unmoving hair helmets a lot of characters have in games, hell even bald looks better.
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif
3 years ago#2
because physx is Nvidia's toy, and they don't like sharing.
http://i.imgur.com/e4IiIHn.png
3 years ago#3
Why do you have a hard time getting to know that the holidays are officially over and cuddle with the Kardashians?
3 years ago#4
Cloth simulation is becoming more prevalent. Decent hair is still a rarity for some reason. It's strange, really, as basic PhysX hair looks decent and runs just fine even on AMD cards, as Alice: Madness Returns demonstrated.
3 years ago#5
dekou posted...
Cloth simulation is becoming more prevalent. Decent hair is still a rarity for some reason. It's strange, really, as basic PhysX hair looks decent and runs just fine even on AMD cards, as Alice: Madness Returns demonstrated.

Pretty sure the hair in Alice: MR was a custom solution by the devs. But I digress. Devs have been able to make decent looking hair since at least PS2/Dreamcast era. You'd think with the hardware available now they'd be able to do it with great ease but apparently not... Cloth simulation still seems like it's not getting used a lot. Even when it is used it's in the background, like Crysis 3 where it just eats performance but it's barely even noticeable.
Deth Pen
3 years ago#6
because it's ALL ABOUT DAT BLEWM!!! KIDS WANT MORE BLUUUUUUUUUUM!
my_name_is_Ed
3 years ago#7
The_AntiGrim posted...
because it's ALL ABOUT DAT BLEWM!!! KIDS WANT MORE BLUUUUUUUUUUM!

That reminds me, TES games are the worst offender. Skyrim has some of the fugliest hair I have ever seen, ever. And it's only a little over 2 years old. Even the mod hair packs, some of which are ports from Oblivion mods, look better than the default hair. It's like they didn't even try. I don't think anything can improve Skyrim hair, they just need to find people who can model hair better.
Deth Pen
3 years ago#8
WyzeGye posted...
because physx is Nvidia's toy, and they don't like sharing.

Physx is open for all to use. Just download the source code off the site.
3 years ago#9
Bazooka_Penguin posted...
dekou posted...

Pretty sure the hair in Alice: MR was a custom solution by the devs. But I digress. Devs have been able to make decent looking hair since at least PS2/Dreamcast era. You'd think with the hardware available now they'd be able to do it with great ease but apparently not... Cloth simulation still seems like it's not getting used a lot. Even when it is used it's in the background, like Crysis 3 where it just eats performance but it's barely even noticeable.

Yup, i don't think hardware power is a problem. I'm tired on seeing static clothing. cape, robes. hairs. Let's hope Bethesda will finally use a new engine for TESVI and implemented in it.
Intel i5 3470 3.20GHz | Sapphire HD 7850 2GB | 8GB RAM | Asrock Z77 PRO3 |WD 1TB| PSU 650w Enermax
3 years ago#10
ITT: Kids arguing about graphics on a site about video games.
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why isn't hair/cloth simulation more prevalent?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived