This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why isn't hair/cloth simulation more prevalent?

#1Bazooka_PenguinPosted 1/7/2014 4:12:00 PM
I finally got around to playing Arkham City and Batman's long cape is just so hypnotic. Fighting games have been doing hair/cloth simulation for nearly a decade but it seems like we barely see it in games these days. I don't think TressFX's "per-strand" simulation is necessary to have good looking hair (or cloth) as DoA has demonstrated, anything is better than the unmoving hair helmets a lot of characters have in games, hell even bald looks better.
---
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif
#2WyzeGyePosted 1/7/2014 4:14:32 PM
because physx is Nvidia's toy, and they don't like sharing.
---
http://i.imgur.com/e4IiIHn.png
#3Ep1taph303Posted 1/7/2014 4:15:04 PM
Why do you have a hard time getting to know that the holidays are officially over and cuddle with the Kardashians?
#4dekouPosted 1/7/2014 4:17:51 PM
Cloth simulation is becoming more prevalent. Decent hair is still a rarity for some reason. It's strange, really, as basic PhysX hair looks decent and runs just fine even on AMD cards, as Alice: Madness Returns demonstrated.
#5Bazooka_Penguin(Topic Creator)Posted 1/7/2014 4:21:28 PM
dekou posted...
Cloth simulation is becoming more prevalent. Decent hair is still a rarity for some reason. It's strange, really, as basic PhysX hair looks decent and runs just fine even on AMD cards, as Alice: Madness Returns demonstrated.

Pretty sure the hair in Alice: MR was a custom solution by the devs. But I digress. Devs have been able to make decent looking hair since at least PS2/Dreamcast era. You'd think with the hardware available now they'd be able to do it with great ease but apparently not... Cloth simulation still seems like it's not getting used a lot. Even when it is used it's in the background, like Crysis 3 where it just eats performance but it's barely even noticeable.
---
Deth Pen
#6The_AntiGrimPosted 1/7/2014 4:30:44 PM
because it's ALL ABOUT DAT BLEWM!!! KIDS WANT MORE BLUUUUUUUUUUM!
---
my_name_is_Ed
#7Bazooka_Penguin(Topic Creator)Posted 1/7/2014 4:36:15 PM
The_AntiGrim posted...
because it's ALL ABOUT DAT BLEWM!!! KIDS WANT MORE BLUUUUUUUUUUM!

That reminds me, TES games are the worst offender. Skyrim has some of the fugliest hair I have ever seen, ever. And it's only a little over 2 years old. Even the mod hair packs, some of which are ports from Oblivion mods, look better than the default hair. It's like they didn't even try. I don't think anything can improve Skyrim hair, they just need to find people who can model hair better.
---
Deth Pen
#8SythisTaruPosted 1/7/2014 4:37:10 PM
WyzeGye posted...
because physx is Nvidia's toy, and they don't like sharing.

Physx is open for all to use. Just download the source code off the site.
#9Broccoli92Posted 1/7/2014 4:37:52 PM
Bazooka_Penguin posted...
dekou posted...

Pretty sure the hair in Alice: MR was a custom solution by the devs. But I digress. Devs have been able to make decent looking hair since at least PS2/Dreamcast era. You'd think with the hardware available now they'd be able to do it with great ease but apparently not... Cloth simulation still seems like it's not getting used a lot. Even when it is used it's in the background, like Crysis 3 where it just eats performance but it's barely even noticeable.

Yup, i don't think hardware power is a problem. I'm tired on seeing static clothing. cape, robes. hairs. Let's hope Bethesda will finally use a new engine for TESVI and implemented in it.
---
Intel i5 3470 3.20GHz | Sapphire HD 7850 2GB | 8GB RAM | Asrock Z77 PRO3 |WD 1TB| PSU 650w Enermax
#10Bellum_SacrumPosted 1/7/2014 4:39:39 PM
ITT: Kids arguing about graphics on a site about video games.
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."