This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would I have any problem with PC gaming on an HD tv?

#1Anticitizen97Posted 1/7/2014 6:07:26 PM
Well, would I? Through HDMI.
---
@(*.*)@ I'm on the karma payment plan.
Anticitizen stamps of approval given: 5
#2PhilOnDezPosted 1/7/2014 6:12:58 PM
Possibly. Probably not. I can't use my tv for gaming but mines pretty much a freak of nature. Its screen has a resolution of 1024x768 but the pixels are stretched horizontally to make it a 16:9 tv. If I try to game at 1024x768 everything is squashed, at 720p or 1080p my tv doesn't know what to do with it (it accepts that input from my consoles fine though for whatever reason). The only not-squashed resolution it doesn't freak out over is 1176x668 which looks awful.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#3ClouddxPosted 1/7/2014 6:33:29 PM(edited)
Thanks for giving us no information about your computer! We can deftly read your mind.

Anyways

I have 2 x 1920x1080 monitors and a 1080p TV all connected to my computer and running at once.

PhilOnDez posted...
Possibly. Probably not. I can't use my tv for gaming but mines pretty much a freak of nature. Its screen has a resolution of 1024x768 but the pixels are stretched horizontally to make it a 16:9 tv. If I try to game at 1024x768 everything is squashed, at 720p or 1080p my tv doesn't know what to do with it (it accepts that input from my consoles fine though for whatever reason). The only not-squashed resolution it doesn't freak out over is 1176x668 which looks awful.

Have you tried editing your settings on the TV to "Just Scan" or 16:9?
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#4xKynOxPosted 1/7/2014 6:33:33 PM
i've used a hdtv for years never had a problem
#5PhilOnDezPosted 1/8/2014 10:48:31 AM
Clouddx posted...
Have you tried editing your settings on the TV to "Just Scan" or 16:9?

Yeah I've tried every setting my TV had, I probably made 10 topics about it here between feb 15 and mid-april of 2013 when I gave up and just bought a monitor. Like I said, it's just a freak of nature. In addition to the aspect ratio/resolution problems the color was also horrible, browns were almost black and blacks were the empty void of the universe which sounds awesome until you actually try to play a game where you're in a cave or something. Maxed out Brightness/Gamma just gave everything a white tint without helping the actual colors. This was the most perplexing part to me because the console versions of games looked fine color-wise, basically the same as they do on my monitor, as do movies.

I just gave up on having a computer hooked up to it since neither my desktop nor laptop want to play nicely with it. It does have a VGA input which I might try someday but I'm not sure it's worth the effort since I don't even have a VGA cable and my monitor is perfectly acceptable to me. I might move my PC speakers to the TV (if possible) and my surround to the PC though, that's the only thing I miss about having it hooked up to my TV.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez