This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What benefits exist to SteamOS compared to Windows?

#21johnny_payPosted 1/7/2014 8:36:24 PM
its a lightweight operating system. i also remember reading that games produced by valve got a better fps on linux.
#22lazycomplife(Topic Creator)Posted 1/7/2014 8:37:46 PM
Orestes417 posted...
lazycomplife posted...
Orestes417 posted...
Boge posted...
Valve will have to make their games exclusive to SteamOS or it's not going to be successful. Just as the TC said, why would I choose the limited SteamOS when I can use something else that does everything?

Why would you pay a Windows tax on a secondary machine if you had the option not to? Take the long view, Valve certainly is

Why would you pay $500+ for a secondary machine when you could build a PC with appx the same power and have it do everything?

It's a secondary machine either way, and you could just as easily install SteamOS on it if you preferred and save money if it gets closer to parity.

Makes sense. If I can watch movies and listen to music, as well as download/obtain them on SteamOS, I'd choose it over Windows. Also, it would need a solid browser. I'd also want an easy way to download and install mods for games. This is, of course, only for the PC I connect to the TV. My laptop will probably forever be a Windows machine.
---
Official Swinub
3DS Friend Code: 0602-6783-9027 - Friend safari: ICE type: Delibird, Bergmite, Dewgong
#23Flaktrooper123Posted 1/7/2014 8:43:33 PM
It remains to be seen. It could be they want to introduce people to linux, or they could just well be trying to turn PC into another console. Hard to say for now
#24KamenRiderBladePosted 1/7/2014 9:11:11 PM
Flaktrooper123 posted...
It remains to be seen. It could be they want to introduce people to linux, or they could just well be trying to turn PC into another console. Hard to say for now

If SteamOS is trying to introduce people to Linux, it's quite a round about way.

Might as well jump straight into Linux.

Honestly I'd rather have another Windows Machine with Steam installed.
---
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'
#25ATARIJAWAPosted 1/7/2014 9:21:34 PM
Steam OS is great unless you have AMD hardware. The lack of driver support is appalling.
---
Gamefaqs game rating system : 10 = Best Game Ever. 8-9. Crushing dissapointment. Below 8 :Total Garbage. This is getting ridiculous. people agreeing so far 111
#26FenriswolfPosted 1/7/2014 9:24:13 PM
I can't wait to see the Steam fanboys getting pwned because they don't know how to operate Linux and need everything served to them on a platter
---
Hello
#27mogexpress1Posted 1/7/2014 9:48:59 PM
ATARIJAWA posted...
Steam OS is great unless you have AMD hardware. The lack of driver support is appalling.

probably gonna have support when its finally released and not just a beta version.
---
Daddy's home
Shut up gabe and take my money
#28SinisterSlayPosted 1/7/2014 9:51:37 PM(edited)
mogexpress1 posted...
ATARIJAWA posted...

probably gonna have support when its finally released and not just a beta version.

Yeah because AMD has such a great track record with drivers..... I mean it hasn't taken them 20 years to develop drivers has it?

And can't forget AMD's lackluster OpenGL support.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#29SinisterSlayPosted 1/7/2014 9:52:20 PM
johnny_pay posted...
its a lightweight operating system. i also remember reading that games produced by valve got a better fps on linux.

I tried, you really do get better FPS if your CPU is a bottleneck like mine is.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#30ATARIJAWAPosted 1/7/2014 10:05:25 PM
mogexpress1 posted...
ATARIJAWA posted...

Linux has been around 20 years and just because Steam OS uses Linux you think AMD will finally make working drivers for Linux? They have had 20 years to do it and didn't.
---
Gamefaqs game rating system : 10 = Best Game Ever. 8-9. Crushing dissapointment. Below 8 :Total Garbage. This is getting ridiculous. people agreeing so far 111