This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can I build a $400 pc that will out - muscle a PS4?

#1hitman911usPosted 1/8/2014 11:05:33 PM
I have been contemplating on building my own pc for years now, the only thing that's held me back is the time investment (would need to be 100% confident on everything since it'll be my first build). I must admit the PS4 at the $400 price tag look very appealing, but I am quite aware of all the great games I'm missing out on by not having a pc, as well as playing gimped versions of some of my favorite games. So as the title states, what can I expect out of my build with that budget?

I can always raise it a few hundred, just really doing this for comparison sake.
---
Let's go Brew crew!!!
#2pk je3busPosted 1/8/2014 11:11:11 PM
Kewl.
---
*Please sign here _____________.*
#3hitman911us(Topic Creator)Posted 1/8/2014 11:14:16 PM
pk je3bus posted...
Kewl.

So does that mean my $400 pc would pale in comparison?? Like I said, I don't mind throwing in another $2/300.
---
Let's go Brew crew!!!
#4dennis941012Posted 1/8/2014 11:14:56 PM
1) do you need O.S.?
2) do you need monitor?
3) do you need peripherals (speakers, keyboard, mouse)

If you answered YES to any of the above answer is no
---
#5DeanWhipperPosted 1/8/2014 11:16:17 PM
I recently did this for a friend.

Here the PS4 is $550 and the Xbone $600~, so we had a bit more room to work with.

For $700 we put together a Haswell i5, R9 270, 8gigs 1600 ram and a 2tb hdd.

So far it's exceeded our expectations entirely, if I was going to build myself a computer today, I would probably go out and put together the exact same build.
---
Is this even legal? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fxhiq93TTg
#6hitokiri13Posted 1/8/2014 11:22:57 PM
I want to 4 PS4 and monitors (not hdtv) so I could do full feature multi player locally. Console should learn from there past instead of copying PC. Yes I'm aware of PCs that you have to buy 4 of them to play with your friends but console's unique feature is use one device to play with friends in one room. Now without that it makes console just a cheap ripoff from PC.

TVs are 60 inches is big enough to support it and consoles are suppose to be way powerful do this type of task.
---
Originally Posted by Manicdan
using a OCed quad for torrenting is like robbing your local video store with a rocket launcher.
#7Flaktrooper123Posted 1/8/2014 11:24:33 PM
I think you can even get a steambox for that price.
#8Majoras_pantsPosted 1/8/2014 11:32:20 PM
For 600 if you want something that will outperform the PS4 for good. But for 400 maybe you could match everything it can do right now. But it's potential hasn't really been reached yet.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#9DarkZV2BetaPosted 1/8/2014 11:52:36 PM(edited)
hitman911us posted...
I have been contemplating on building my own pc for years now, the only thing that's held me back is the time investment (would need to be 100% confident on everything since it'll be my first build). I must admit the PS4 at the $400 price tag look very appealing, but I am quite aware of all the great games I'm missing out on by not having a pc, as well as playing gimped versions of some of my favorite games. So as the title states, what can I expect out of my build with that budget?

I can always raise it a few hundred, just really doing this for comparison sake.

Since it's your first time, you need to spend a bit more for a keyboard and mouse, OS, and maybe a monitor(most HDTVs are actually terrible displays, which makes them less than ideal as monitors).
Also, since you missed out on black friday and the general holiday sales, you kind of missed out on the chance to build a sure PS4 killer under a $400 price tag.

That said, it's worth it to invest a bit more into a machine that's got more leg room; ie, buy a good power supply, good case, high capacity(1TB) harddrive, maybe a solid state drive, ect, as you can carry these forward to a new build, and generally keep using them until they either wear out, or are made obsolete.(ie, games start taking up 500gb each)
Getting a good well-vented case for $50-60 and a solid 550w high quality power supply(another $50-60) is a good start to some happy gaming for years to come. After that, if your budget is really tight, grab yourself a FX6300, a ~$50-60 AMD AM3+ motherboard, 8GB of the cheapest 1.5v DDR3 you can find from a reputable brand, and a GTX650Ti Boost or HD7850.

Prices are kind of high right now, though, it seems.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2yeUK

Something like this would be a good starting build. It'll match or exceed the PS4 in everything, the case, PSU, HDD, and OS can be reused in future builds, and there's not any excess expense for specific parts. Just make sure you send in those rebates.
Edit: removed OS
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
#10hitman911us(Topic Creator)Posted 1/8/2014 11:48:50 PM
dennis941012 posted...
1) do you need O.S.?
2) do you need monitor?
3) do you need peripherals (speakers, keyboard, mouse)

If you answered YES to any of the above answer is no

Nope, there's a separate budget for that, this is strictly for the rig itself.
---
Let's go Brew crew!!!