This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking for a mechanical keyboard.

#1tigerslashIIPosted 1/9/2014 12:06:04 AM
I was at the Best Buy the other day with my friend looking at the keyboards they had out. I have a Logitech G-15 which is nice, but the keys feel like garbage. It feels cheap and plasticy. I liked the Razor one they had cause it was really clicky and nice but I noticed the keys had like no resistance at all when I was typing with them. The Logitech right next to it was a little stiffer but made no sound. I asked my buddy, who's going into software engineering, which he liked better or if there was another suggestion. He mentioned two possible options:

The first was looking for something with black cherry switches, since that seems to be more up my alley. He said they're stiffer and have better feedback both physically and audibly. Idk any good keyboards with these switches though.

Then he said that gaming keyboards are pretty gimmicky and that the pros use old IBMs or, failing that, Unicomp keyboards with buckling spring actuation. They look hella oldschool and kinda neat, but idk since I've never used them.

What do you guys think, should I go with the Unicomp or are there good suggestions from the black cherry switch variety? I do enjoy my backlit keyboard and the audio controls which the Unicomp omits, but those aren't worth rubber dome crap.
---
Get a loada this guy here.
#230aught6Posted 1/9/2014 12:22:46 AM(edited)
I have one of the Unicomp keyboards you're talking about; it's a reproduction of the original IBM, Model M. it has buckling springs and isn't a membrane keyboard.
Honestly, the build quality leaves a lot to be desired. Compared to the Model M, which feels indestructible, and is built like a tank.
You probably don't want to be gaming on a buckling spring keyboard for an extended amount of time, at least I wouldn't want to.

Take a second and familiarize yourself with Cherry switches:
http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide#post_6009482

The Ducky G2 PRO has black switches, and thick, dyesublimated, PBT keycaps. This is a really good deal, imo:
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=468

Personally, I think you should try before you buy, because you might not like blacks. If you've never tried them before, you don't know.
Either get a sample switch pack or see if there's a shop around you where you can try some different colors, such as blues or reds.
http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=571
---
| i7-3930K | MSI BB-XP II | GTX 680 4GB X2 | CORSAIR DDR3 32GB | TT Grand 1200W | SG 240GB SSD | WD 4TB HD | Fractal XLR2 |
#3tigerslashII(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2014 10:57:53 PM
I've tried either blues or browns, and I've tried reds. I need something stiffer.

To give you an idea of what I'm after I enjoy the keyboard on my Commodore 64 very much.
---
#4TimePharaohPosted 1/9/2014 11:19:00 PM
The only "gaming" part of "gaming keyboards" are LEDs, because people are stupid.
---
HE are genius, firstly. - ASlaveObeys
GestapoFAQs http://i.imgur.com/prqCDHz.png http://i.imgur.com/ooNGE4u.png
#5tigerslashII(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2014 11:23:39 PM
I love the programmable function keys, the LCD readout, and the backlit keys. The fact I can program my keyboard a series of key presses for it to repeat on the fly while in a game is really useful in RTS games, and the backlight helps at night. Plus it looks cool.

That being said the craptastic build quality of the G15 is shameful.
---
#6DEADLY_HANGMANPosted 1/9/2014 11:28:48 PM
30aught6 posted...
I have one of the Unicomp keyboards you're talking about; it's a reproduction of the original IBM, Model M. it has buckling springs and isn't a membrane keyboard.
Honestly, the build quality leaves a lot to be desired. Compared to the Model M, which feels indestructible, and is built like a tank.

Unicomp does have a line of rubber dome keyboards, and technically buckling spring keyboards are actually membrane keyboards as they use a membrane in their construction. That said, OP wasn't calling Unicomp keyboards membrane keyboards. (though I see how you misread it, I did that too)

You probably don't want to be gaming on a buckling spring keyboard for an extended amount of time, at least I wouldn't want to.

I quite disagree. I use a Spacesaver as my daily driver and game on it for hours without problem. I've been using it for a couple of years now and never had an issue with fatigue or uncomfortable presses to make. I wouldn't let the stigma of buckling springs being tough and heavy scare you away from gaming on them, they don't require /that/ much force.

That isn't to say that a Unicomp is the board for the OP, but I think he should seriously consider one as they're one of the (if not *the*) most durable, serviceable, and problem free keyboards available today.

OP, if you like switches with more weight to them, definitely check out Chery MX Blacks (like 30aught suggested) and Buckling Springs. For an even more interesting switch, the White Alp might be worth looking at too.
---
Deadly is like the Kanye West of this board. - Goldninja
WATCH ME BEAT UP MY BACKLOG http://bit.ly/Jzq9za
#7it_r_over9000Posted 1/9/2014 11:29:13 PM
tigerslashII posted...
I love the programmable function keys, the LCD readout, and the backlit keys. The fact I can program my keyboard a series of key presses for it to repeat on the fly while in a game is really useful in RTS games, and the backlight helps at night. Plus it looks cool.

That being said the craptastic build quality of the G15 is shameful.

The Razer keyboard you looked at at Best Buy was probably the Black Widow ultimate stealth edition which has cherry MX brown keys. Mine has the exact same display set up at the peripherals section.
---
i7 4770k| Asus Z87 Plus| EVGA GTX 760 2GB| Corsair VengeanceLP 8GB (2x4)1866| EVGA SuperNOVA Nex 650G 650w| Thermaltake Chaser A31 Snow White
PSN- ponmbr [R3D]
#8tigerslashII(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2014 11:43:12 PM
It was the black widow but not the stealth one. It was wayyy too clicky for that. But it just had no resistance. I wanna PUNCH THE KEYS FOR GOD'S SAKE.
---
#9AcquirePosted 1/10/2014 12:27:48 AM
The heaviest switches are the blacks. I personally like the brown the best. Have two cooler master quick fire keyboards. The Pro for home and the XT for work. Personally like how the XT looks better than the Pro, but the Pro has a nice overall build to it. It's super heavy. Apparently it has a steel plate in it for sturdiness.
---
And if you hear as the warm night falls. The silver sound from a time so strange. Sing to me, sing to me.
#10StormKMDPosted 1/10/2014 12:44:40 AM
How about a mechboard that has slight press? Like, I really like laptop kbs. They're really easy to press, and not mushy. Not meaning to hijack your topic or anything, TC, but does anyone know of something like this?
---
MSI 660 GeForce 2GB | i5 3570K Phantek PH-TC14PE_BK | AsRock Z77 Pro3 | 1500GBs HDD | Ballistix 8GB | Corsair CX430
http://www.anime-planet.com/users/StormKMD