This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Metal Gear Rising is GOTY for the second year in a row.

#31squidgy617Posted 1/13/2014 4:09:17 PM
Should I play the other MGS games first?

I started MGS and I intend to get the HD collection once I finish, then I wanna play 4 at a friends' or something... but its gonna be a while before I finish all of that.
#32DV8ingSourcesPosted 1/13/2014 4:16:30 PM(edited)
squidgy617 posted...
Should I play the other MGS games first?

I started MGS and I intend to get the HD collection once I finish, then I wanna play 4 at a friends' or something... but its gonna be a while before I finish all of that.

You should play them but not because of this game. In fact, if you are interested in this game you may not enjoy the other games at all. This is a spinoff, much like mariokart was a spinoff from the platformer, so it essentially plays nothing like the other games.

This one has some story tie ins that a fan would notice but its nothing to worry about. The entire MGS series is full of over the top villains and storytelling that is made up on the spot (but still manages to work [and when in doubt, nanomachines!]).

Go ahead and play this if you want a fast paced twitch action game. The other games are slower stealth endeavors that are 60% story, 10% confusion, and 28% gameplay. Yeah that adds up to 98% and not 100%. That's the kind of confusion I'm talkin about :P
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB RAM | 770 + 670 physx | 256 SSD | 8TB HDD | Win 8.1 64bit | ax1200w | CM690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#33cody4783Posted 1/13/2014 4:22:28 PM
DV8ingSources posted...
Go ahead and play this if you want a fast paced twitch action game. The other games are slower stealth endeavors that are 60% story, 10% confusion, and 28% gameplay. Yeah that adds up to 98% and not 100%. That's the kind of confusion I'm talkin about :P

Lmao!

Well said. Well said.

Yeah, as someone that's only extensively played the two PS2 games, and the older Metal Gear games a bit...You don't really need to be concerned with the story tie-ins to be able to jump in and have fun with MGR. It's mostly it's own thing with a few minor reflections on the history of the main character (And I do mean minor, not even talking stuff you have to have seen to get the idea of).

But by all means, if the Stealth gameplay of the older games interests you, they're absolutely worth playing. They're great games that don't spare any real expenses on being completely bonkers and over the top. They're mechanically solid and generally can be pretty rewarding games to play.
---
PC: http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn233/cody4783/cody4783.jpg
#34squidgy617Posted 1/13/2014 4:23:24 PM
I started MGS already and am enjoying it, I'm sure I'll like the rest of the games as well. I knew that this was a spin-off, I was basically just wondering if I had to play the others before this one or if I could just kinda play this whenever.

I think I'll just play the others first, though, just to experience the series in order. Even if its just a spin-off.
#35exclusiveburnerPosted 1/13/2014 8:19:07 PM
Eh this game sucks, play a demo first and decide for yourself. Overhyped crap with Metal Gear name on it. Wait for the good one to come along.
#36ShadowThaReaper(Topic Creator)Posted 1/13/2014 8:43:39 PM
exclusiveburner posted...
Eh this game sucks

Get some taste, casual.