This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any way I can shave more off this build (started at 2100, now at 1800)

#1DuranOfForcenaPosted 1/9/2014 8:27:38 PM
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=23989685

I don't really have a hard cap on the budget, as I can afford pretty much whatever right now, but the more cost effective, the better, and I was expecting to spend around 1800. When it came out to over 2100, I decided to take another look at what I really need. So I downsized from a 2TB SSHD and 256GB SSD to a 1TB and 128GB respectively. I went from an 850w PSU to a 750w (the 750w isn't modular like the 850w one I had, but it does have blue wire sleeving and translucent blue connectors, which is awesome), I ditched a soundcard, and I went from a BRD rewriter to an OEM BRD drive. I'm pretty comfortable with the build now, but I was just wondering if anyone had any other advice for shaving off a bit more from the price. Also, is the SATA cable I'm getting good for the OEM BRD drive? 10" should be enough in a mid tower, I'm thinking, and I don't think I'm gonna need an angled one or anything. Are there other parts that I could benefit from getting OEM? This is my first build, so I kinda don't know yet how confident I would be with OEM stuff.

My computer tech buddy is hooking me up with a copy of Windows 7, and I'm gonna hook it up to my TV, so I'm good there. The only thing left to decide on is a keyboard and mouse, and I'm doing some more research on wireless technology for that at the moment. A while ago with an older PC I had the Logitech mx5500 Revolution Bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse combo, and it was awesome. It's not being manufactured anymore, and I can only find it on ebay for like 350 bucks. I liked it because it was Bluetooth, which is a lot more stable than IR or RF wireless, and because you could just swap out the batteries with ones that are charged instead of having to put the keyboard on a charger stand where you can't use it when it's charging. So I'm looking for either another good Bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse like that, or one with comparable technology. Some keyboards I've looked at say they are 2.4Ghz wireless, which to my understanding is the frequency that Bluetooth operates on, but the specs for these keyboards don't specify that it's Bluetooth. Are they the same? Or at least the same quality?
---
I have walked across the surface of the sun. I have witnessed events so tiny and so fast they can hardly be said to have occurred at all...
#2pjlindPosted 1/9/2014 8:35:24 PM(edited)
i5 4670k
cheaper mobo
less ram
don't get a sshd
cheaper cpu fan
idk wtf a ups is and i work for ups...

-edit-

also all that money and no front panel usb3.0............?
---
i5-4670k | MSI Z87-G41 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 4gb DDR3-2133 | 530w 80+ | 1tb Seagate Barracuda | Rosewill BlackHawk
#3Kokuei05Posted 1/9/2014 8:38:57 PM
i5 4670k
cheaper mobo
less ram
don't get a sshd
cheaper cpu fan
idk wtf a ups is and i work for ups...

-edit-

also all that money and no front panel usb3.0............?

Quoted for the Lols.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u155ncSlkCk
#4DuranOfForcena(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2014 8:39:14 PM
I'm getting the UPS because I have a problem where I live with the circuit breaker tripping due to one too many space heaters being used at a time. The UPS will be an extra guarantee that none of my stuff will get damaged in the case that that happens again (although we have been taking measures to see to it that it doesn't happen). The RAM is one of the only things I adjusted up. I originally had 2 4GB sticks, but my buddy convinced me to up it to 2 8GB sticks. I think I'm good with that. I'll look around at the CPU fans some more, definitely. By "don't get an SSHD" do you mean just get an HDD instead? Or only have the SSD? I like the mobo and the processor I have too, but I guess I'll take a second look. Those aren't really things I want to skimp on though.
---
I have walked across the surface of the sun. I have witnessed events so tiny and so fast they can hardly be said to have occurred at all...
#5AltmadragonPosted 1/9/2014 8:41:05 PM
Man that list......
---
Ha! Made you read |TJ07| i5-3570k| Asus p8z77-v| GB GTX 770 4gb sli|16gb Corsair veng| 1TB WD HDx2| 128gb Samsung ssd| XSPC Raystorm RS360 kit|
#6iscareu13Posted 1/9/2014 8:49:25 PM
I'm sorry, but I lol'd at all the different air cooling parts and the anti-static wrist strap.

Aside from those:
Overpriced RAM
Overpriced Motherboard
#7AltmadragonPosted 1/9/2014 8:52:51 PM
A better build

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2yJLs
---
Ha! Made you read |TJ07| i5-3570k| Asus p8z77-v| GB GTX 770 4gb sli|16gb Corsair veng| 1TB WD HDx2| 128gb Samsung ssd| XSPC Raystorm RS360 kit|
#8urtvPosted 1/9/2014 8:52:55 PM
that blue theme looks ugly and the parts are crap
#9Loserman15Posted 1/9/2014 8:53:56 PM
I'd rather have a 256gb SSD and a regular hard drive for probably about the same price than a 128gb SSD and a hybrid drive.
#10SnadadosPosted 1/9/2014 8:56:04 PM
Not sure why you have the VGA cooler there, the cooler on the graphics card you listed is way better already.

There is no need for an HDD cooler.

You can easily shave $50 - $100 off the motherboard.
You should be able to find a quality Z87 board from MSI, Asus, Gigabyte for $150 or less that supports any bells and whistles you need.
You seem to be keeping a blue color theme so check out Gigabyte and MSI, they typically have blue boards.
---
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?