This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any way I can shave more off this build (started at 2100, now at 1800)

#41Phrostbyte101Posted 1/10/2014 1:18:22 PM
DuranOfForcena posted...
tiger8191 posted...
I am going to start making cheap uneccassary PC components with pretty lights on it. Seems I can make a ton of money doing that.

I really don't understand what's with all the elitism regarding "pretty lights" and other flair mods I'm encountering on this board. Isn't the point of building your own tower getting it to perform and look exactly the way you want it? There's nothing wrong with adding a little flavor for a personal touch. Not everything has to be about function and performance, some things are there for the aesthetic. Don't pretend like that's such a foreign concept to you, it just makes you look oblivious.

That's just how it is on videogame boards. I've posted this advice in other topics like this, where other peoples advice just ends up with them talking about themselves. Goto a a better PC community and ask for their advice instead. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/353572-31-build-upgrade-advice. Its a much better start.
---
---
Phenom 955 @ 3.8Ghz, GA-MA790XT-UD4P, 4gbs XMS3 DHX @ 1600, Crossfire 4890's @ 950/1100, Thermaltake Contac 30 sink, OCZ Vertex 2 90gb
#42DuranOfForcena(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2014 1:33:26 PM
Thank you for your response, Ch3wy. So, I see, they go in the space in the back of the case where a PCI slot device would be, but they don't actually have to be mounted in the PCI slot. I will definitely take a look at more of those, although the Rosewill one you posted looks pretty sweet, so I might not look very far.
---
I have walked across the surface of the sun. I have witnessed events so tiny and so fast they can hardly be said to have occurred at all...
#43tiger8191Posted 1/10/2014 1:59:57 PM
DuranOfForcena posted...
tiger8191 posted...
I am going to start making cheap uneccassary PC components with pretty lights on it. Seems I can make a ton of money doing that.

I really don't understand what's with all the elitism regarding "pretty lights" and other flair mods I'm encountering on this board. Isn't the point of building your own tower getting it to perform and look exactly the way you want it? There's nothing wrong with adding a little flavor for a personal touch. Not everything has to be about function and performance, some things are there for the aesthetic. Don't pretend like that's such a foreign concept to you, it just makes you look oblivious.

Lol struck a nerve. So angry. So since my opinion on such things differ from yours, I'm
oblivious? What an interesting little world you live in.

I have no issue with lights. Personally I have no need. My PC sits on a desk in my office. The only people who see it are my wife and kid. I don't need to have some Xmas tree. I just need it to work.

What I do have an issue with, which prompted my post, was buying a less than average PSU (an important part of any high performance gaming PC) because it's got blue on it. I found it funny. And I have no doubt lower quality companies take advantage over people who care more about aesthetics than decent quality. Thus I want in on that. So sorry your butt got hurt by it.
---
www.twitch.tv/fearsomebeaver
#44strongo9Posted 1/10/2014 2:03:40 PM(edited)
1. Honestly, the whole blue theme you have going on looks really ugly, from the case to the unnecessary components
2. Get a better case. Perhaps one that is a full tower and actually has USB 3.0 ports on the front
3. Get this mobo instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157369
4. Get this 770 instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125463
5. Get this PSU instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182264
6. Get this RAM instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231468
7. Only get a Blu-ray drive if you absolutely need it
8. Get this CPU cooler instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099
9. Don't bother buying that garbage PCI case cooler
10. Don't bother buying that gimmicky anti-static wrist strap

I believe I just saved you a few hundred dollars.
---
R.I.P. Mewtwo (1996 - 2013)
i7-2670qm @ 2.2ghz | 6GB DDR3 | 1GB Geforce GT 540m
#45DuranOfForcena(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2014 2:56:50 PM
@tiger8191: no, you being oblivious has nothing to do with you having a different opinion than me. Exactly the opposite, which I explicitly stated in the post you quoted. You are pretending that different opinions than yours just don't exist.

@strongo9: No, you didn't save me a few hundreds of dollars, because you are doing the same thing Altmadragon was doing, which is suggesting almost completely different builds, and not advice on how to trim and optimize this particular build. I don't care if you think the blue theme looks ugly. I think having two bright red stick of RAM sticking out with the rest being blue will look ugly. And the only reason the RAM you posted is that much cheaper is because it's 8GBs and not 16GB.
---
I have walked across the surface of the sun. I have witnessed events so tiny and so fast they can hardly be said to have occurred at all...
#46strongo9Posted 1/10/2014 6:25:57 PM(edited)
I recommended you alternatives to some of the parts you selected that are just as good, but cheaper. It's the same exact build at the core of it. Same CPU, same GPU. Actually, you don't really need a 4770k in a build with only a 770 in it. The 4670k would be just fine for gaming. Also, 8GB of RAM is enough for gaming. Stop being so stubborn.

Since you seem so content on it, here's the same exact RAM you had your eyes on but just 8GB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231665
---
#47DuranOfForcena(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2014 6:51:12 PM
strongo9 posted...
I recommended you alternatives to some of the parts you selected that are just as good, but cheaper. It's the same exact build at the core of it. Same CPU, same GPU. Actually, you don't really need a 4770k in a build with only a 770 in it. The 4670k would be just fine for gaming. Also, 8GB of RAM is enough for gaming. Stop being so stubborn.

Since you seem so content on it, here's the same exact RAM you had your eyes on but just 8GB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231665

You say "just fine for gaming" and "enough for gaming". Well that's not one I want. I want a build that will blow any game today out of the water, and still be relevant without upgrading for like 5 years or so, with the exception of a second 770, or maybe two new GPUs somewhere down the line. And who knows, I might want to get into some small scale graphic design.

Anyway, if you look at my list now, you'll see I switched to the GPU you linked to. So thanks for that at least. And the CPU cooler you posted is one of two that were posted in tandem earlier in the topic. I went with the other one that was posted, but they looked pretty similar.
---
#48strongo9Posted 1/10/2014 7:02:58 PM
If you're serious about getting into some graphic design eventually, do go with the 4770k and 16GB of RAM then. If you wish to possibly SLI down the road get a PSU now that will be enough for both video cards plus everything else. Go with the EVO 212 CPU cooler over the one you selected. They look similar, but the EVO is definitely the better of the too and one of the best coolers out there for its price.
---
#49DuranOfForcena(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2014 7:20:28 PM
Wouldn't a quality 750w be enough for both cards? Or should I go with higher wattage?
---
#50ConkerPosted 1/10/2014 7:30:37 PM
TC, while I understand you seem a bit defensive towards your build, it APPEARS that a lot of the people replying to you are correct...when you can get something for the same or lower price but it doesn't have lights on it, etc. then you're putting money into aesthetics over performance. And you said, "Isn't that the point" being able to design your own, etc. To some, yes. To others, it's simply about the value for performance ratio. If you can get a better PSU without the flash for a lower cost, why wouldn't you, especially when you yourself are asking on ways to cut down on the cost?

You do know you can also buy lights and put them in yourself for cheap, right? Rather than paying extra for a lot of the parts, you could actually listen to the people who have these discussions on this board on a daily basis.
---
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!