This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question about different programming languages

#1iscareu13Posted 1/10/2014 12:04:45 AM
I think it could be an interesting learning experience to create a simple game that was playable through a web browser. I know most web games are flash based or java based, but i am wondering if there are any other decent options that I could look into learning the basics of.
#2jelly2008Posted 1/10/2014 2:22:27 AM
Javascript. Or HTML 5. They're the commonly used languages for browser-based games.
---
Intel C2D E7500/ Intel DG41RQ/ CM GX550W Bronze/ ASUS ENGTS450 DirectCU/ 4GB Transcend DDR2-800 RAM/ Seagate 320GB + 1TB HDD/ Hitachi 250GB HDD/ Win 8.1 64-bit
#3SinisterSlayPosted 1/10/2014 6:17:18 AM
jelly2008 posted...
Javascript. Or HTML 5. They're the commonly used languages for browser-based games.

Or java.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#4MeghiddoPosted 1/10/2014 6:29:22 AM(edited)
Or actionscript (flash)

Edit Whoops, you said other than flash
---
Currently playing - doctor, with your mom
#5SinisterSlayPosted 1/10/2014 8:34:01 AM
shockwave, but don't use it.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#6Rexdragon125Posted 1/10/2014 8:46:44 AM
God, not Java. The browser plugin for Java applets is catastrophically insecure. Plus online Java applets are so 1995, and you will be undoing 20 years of web standards progress.
#7SinisterSlayPosted 1/10/2014 8:47:47 AM
Rexdragon125 posted...
God, not Java. The browser plugin for Java applets is catastrophically insecure. Plus online Java applets are so 1995, and you will be undoing 20 years of web standards progress.

Yeah the only viable options are Flash and HTML5
---
#8Ch3wyPosted 1/10/2014 8:49:55 AM
I didn't even know that HTML5 programming was already a thing. Does this mean javascript is on its way out too?
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#9SinisterSlayPosted 1/10/2014 8:54:00 AM
Ch3wy posted...
I didn't even know that HTML5 programming was already a thing. Does this mean javascript is on its way out too?

HTML5 programming is just javascript. The lines have been blurred. The actual markup of html5 is basically the same, just a few new elements.

Check it out, this is HTML5
http://middle-earth.thehobbit.com/

It starts off feeling like google earth but then throws in some fairly impressive 3D stuff (well impressive for web technology)
---
#10Ch3wyPosted 1/10/2014 9:00:10 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
Ch3wy posted...

HTML5 programming is just javascript. The lines have been blurred. The actual markup of html5 is basically the same, just a few new elements.

Check it out, this is HTML5
http://middle-earth.thehobbit.com/

It starts off feeling like google earth but then throws in some fairly impressive 3D stuff (well impressive for web technology)

Ah I see, that looks pretty neato.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.