This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question about different programming languages

#11SinisterSlayPosted 1/10/2014 8:18:43 AM
Ch3wy posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Ch3wy posted...
I didn't even know that HTML5 programming was already a thing. Does this mean javascript is on its way out too?

HTML5 programming is just javascript. The lines have been blurred. The actual markup of html5 is basically the same, just a few new elements.

Check it out, this is HTML5
http://middle-earth.thehobbit.com/

It starts off feeling like google earth but then throws in some fairly impressive 3D stuff (well impressive for web technology)

Ah I see, that looks pretty neato.

Yeah its pretty neat, and terrifying.. I can't even get simple HTML5 to look consistent between browsers. Every friggen CSS requires a vender specific tag in front -webkit, -ms, -mozilla, etc. So you end up duplicating your code over and over...
Although oddly only firefox seemed to properly read the non vender specific versions as well, which had me really confused for awhile because I was learning using firefox and was totally confused why it didn't work in other browsers.

I'm not very far in my html5 studies though, so maybe there is a better way to do it.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#12PraetorXynPosted 1/10/2014 8:23:11 AM
HTML5 is just the moniker for web development without a server side language.
It encompasses the new version of HTMJavaL (5), CSS 3+, and JavaScript.

Java needed to die a LONG time ago. Don't prolong its life any longer.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#13Ch3wyPosted 1/10/2014 8:26:47 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
Ch3wy posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Ch3wy posted...
I didn't even know that HTML5 programming was already a thing. Does this mean javascript is on its way out too?

HTML5 programming is just javascript. The lines have been blurred. The actual markup of html5 is basically the same, just a few new elements.

It starts off feeling like google earth but then throws in some fairly impressive 3D stuff (well impressive for web technology)

Yeah its pretty neat, and terrifying.. I can't even get simple HTML5 to look consistent between browsers. Every friggen CSS requires a vender specific tag in front -webkit, -ms, -mozilla, etc. So you end up duplicating your code over and over...
Although oddly only firefox seemed to properly read the non vender specific versions as well, which had me really confused for awhile because I was learning using firefox and was totally confused why it didn't work in other browsers.

I'm not very far in my html5 studies though, so maybe there is a better way to do it.

Damn, cross-browser development could be a pain in the ass before that. That just sounds terrible.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#14PraetorXynPosted 1/10/2014 8:47:48 AM
Ch3wy posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Ch3wy posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Ch3wy posted...

Damn, cross-browser development could be a pain in the ass before that. That just sounds terrible.

That's only a problem with CSS generally. The fancier CSS 3 effects like shadowing, etc. require that. So you'll have the same line copied and pasted three times:
<standard rule> = <value>
-webit-<standard rule> = <value>
-mozilla-<standard rule> = <value>
-ms-<standard rule> = <value>

It's really not that big a deal because most people don't use those anyway. Eventually, everyone (excepting Microsoft most likely) will be using the standard rule. It's just that HTML 5 isn't officially a standard yet.

In JavaScript and HTML, you pretty much have the same code working for every browser that's not IE. Then you will usually have to have different code for every version IE up to 9, i.e.:
if IE 6 then...
else if IE 7 then...
else if IE 8 then...

IE 10 and 11 are finally much closer to being standard compliant. Most people now just don't support any IE version older than 9, so all that redundant junk goes away.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png