This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

can netbooks run the ds emulator

#31DarkZV2BetaPosted 1/13/2014 5:51:27 PM
MarceloSampaio posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
AA = Anti Aliasing, something visible on the edge of almost every polygon in that image. Not on any of the textures; like I said, no texture filtering.(actually, DS did mipmapping with a LOD bias of -1, IIRC, as well as preferential texel selection.) But all of the polygons get AA on DS, by default. You'd have to be blind to not be able to see it in that blown up image.

http://imgur.com/wFSmGv6

I'm seeing something, all right. And ITS NOT ANTI-ALIASING. Anti-aliasing actually smooths the edge of the polygons. This image shows quite clearly that the edge of the polygons is heavily aliased (as in, PIXELATED). The problem isn't the lack of texture filtering, the polygons are aliased on the DS.

But hey. I'm probably blind, right? ;)

Like I said, I'll keep on using an emulator that CLEARLY does no AA, doesn't draw the textures correctly... and probably corrupts saved games, right???

The emulator is close to 90% compatibility, plays the games like a real DS, run at 100% speed on most computers nowdays, has post-processing filters, doesn't crash or freeze, has save states... BUT it has no AA, thus its GARBAGE. Yup.

If you can't see the obvious AA on that image? Yes, you must be. The image is blown up to, I think 400%? with no filtering so that you can clearly see the blended pixels antialiasing the pipe. If you still can't see that, or the AA on the back wing of the ship, or on the front of that enemy, there is something very wrong with your eyes.
Also, it doesn't emulate the menus of Nanostray 2 correctly. Seems to be a bug with handling 3D across screens.
Really, DS emulation is in a sad state for a, what, 9 year old 66mhz Arm-9+33mhz Arm-7 system?
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
#32MarceloSampaioPosted 1/13/2014 7:04:08 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Also, it doesn't emulate the menus of Nanostray 2 correctly. Seems to be a bug with handling 3D across screens.
Really, DS emulation is in a sad state for a, what, 9 year old 66mhz Arm-9+33mhz Arm-7 system?

Nitpicking much? Clearly emulation isn't for you.

Name ONE emulator that doesn't have issues. Name one emulator that has 100% compatibility.

No, DS emulation is NOT in a sad state. It emulates +-90% of the games at full speed and with perfect sound.

N64 emulation is a LOT worse: many games still present severe issues, and the sound emulation is still far from perfect, even with a LLE plugin. I wouldn't say its garbage though, just... meh.

Sega Saturn emulation is getting better and better, but it still has a LONG ways to go. Considering that its a console from '94, this is sad indeed.

You say that DeSmuME is garbage... then I see that emulation is NOT for you. An emulator with high compatibility, stable, near perfect sound, good graphics and MANY configuration options can't be considered garbage. (I still believe you just don't know how to configure, OR haven't tested the newer versions though).
---
:3
Brazil, country where the World Cup is more important than a basic health system...
#33DarkZV2BetaPosted 1/13/2014 7:26:13 PM
MarceloSampaio posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...

Nitpicking much? Clearly emulation isn't for you.

Name ONE emulator that doesn't have issues. Name one emulator that has 100% compatibility.

No, DS emulation is NOT in a sad state. It emulates +-90% of the games at full speed and with perfect sound.

N64 emulation is a LOT worse: many games still present severe issues, and the sound emulation is still far from perfect, even with a LLE plugin. I wouldn't say its garbage though, just... meh.

Sega Saturn emulation is getting better and better, but it still has a LONG ways to go. Considering that its a console from '94, this is sad indeed.

You say that DeSmuME is garbage... then I see that emulation is NOT for you. An emulator with high compatibility, stable, near perfect sound, good graphics and MANY configuration options can't be considered garbage. (I still believe you just don't know how to configure, OR haven't tested the newer versions though).

This isn't a "minor issue". A feature of the system is downright broken. DS emulation is a mess.
GBA emulation is more or less perfect. SNES, NES, Genesis, even PS1 is pretty much perfect. PS2 and GameCube, complex systems that are hard to emulate, but are coming along nicely. N64's emulation method and design principles present a lot of problems for proper emulation, but it's still further along than DS is. Saturn was very complex to emulate, much more so than anything else of it's time.
DS? It's a GBA on steroids, but somehow two-screen 3D is broked, texture rendering is awful, and there's no AA whatsoever, much less the very smooth AA the original DS hardware presented, which is pretty much essential to image quality when rendering 256x214.
I haven't seen any system progress as poorly as DS in that kind of timeframe. It's so bad that an Arm DS emulator caught up and surpassed everything x86, offering better performance and accuracy on vastly inferior hardware, in, what, a year? Coded by one person?
Yeah, DS emulation is in a sad place, all things considered. N64 aught to be better as well, but it's actually much more difficult to emulate than DS, much like comparing PS2 to PSP.(PSP has progressed quite nicely, for that matter)
---
#34SlaynPosted 1/13/2014 7:31:35 PM
Doesn't it usually take a good 10 years to perfect emulation? DS has been out around 9, so... it's coming up. Only used one once when I thought I wouldn't buy a 3DS. Worked fine, but it was Chrono Trigger, which is 2d.
---
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505
#35DarkZV2BetaPosted 1/13/2014 7:32:58 PM
Slayn posted...
Doesn't it usually take a good 10 years to perfect emulation? DS has been out around 9, so... it's coming up. Only used one once when I thought I wouldn't buy a 3DS. Worked fine, but it was Chrono Trigger, which is 2d.

The only DS emulator coming along at a good pace is DraStic.
---
#36MarceloSampaioPosted 1/13/2014 8:02:09 PM
Snes isn't near perfect, man. The only emulator that its NEAR perfect is Higan, which is a pain to make it work. Genesis emulation has many timing issues. PS1 emulation is NEAR perfect, but no emulator can do perfect dithering yet, and no emulator can play Parasite Eve 2 perfectly either. GBA has timing issues (noticeable in Metroud Zero Mission), but its almost perfect indeed.

DarkZV2Beta posted...
DS? It's a GBA on steroids, but somehow two-screen 3D is broked, texture rendering is awful, and there's no AA whatsoever, much less the very smooth AA the original DS hardware presented, which is pretty much essential to image quality when rendering 256x214.

Two-screen 3D isn't broken. Other than Nanostray 2, I can't remember another game that had this kind of issue. And even then SVN4440 fixed this issue when using OpenGL rendering, so try again. Like I said, maybe you are just using an older version.

Like I said, I played more than 100 games, all the way through, and other than some minor issues, most of them worked near perfectly. Out of those 100, 50 or so I played on the real DS first, so I HAVE means to compare them.

No, DS emulator isn't worse than the N64 one, and if you think so, you haven't tested DESMUME properly. Both 1964 and Project64 are amazing, but have far to many issues in most games. Minor issues most of the times, thats for sure, but still MANY issues. And sound emulation is still meh, most games have crackling sound all around.

Oh, and this so called AA that you claim the NDS have. I'm blind, as you may know already, so I still can't notice it on the real DS. And I still think you are full of it, but I'm still trying to find some official information about this AA that you say that the DS does. Until then, I'll still say that you are full of it.

Still, dismissing an emulator just because it doesn't have AA, makes me think you are not but a whiny baby.
---
Brazil, country where the World Cup is more important than a basic health system...
#37DarkZV2BetaPosted 1/13/2014 8:15:49 PM
MarceloSampaio posted...
Snes isn't near perfect, man. The only emulator that its NEAR perfect is Higan, which is a pain to make it work. Genesis emulation has many timing issues. PS1 emulation is NEAR perfect, but no emulator can do perfect dithering yet, and no emulator can play Parasite Eve 2 perfectly either. GBA has timing issues (noticeable in Metroud Zero Mission), but its almost perfect indeed.

DarkZV2Beta posted...

Two-screen 3D isn't broken. Other than Nanostray 2, I can't remember another game that had this kind of issue. And even then SVN4440 fixed this issue when using OpenGL rendering, so try again. Like I said, maybe you are just using an older version.

Like I said, I played more than 100 games, all the way through, and other than some minor issues, most of them worked near perfectly. Out of those 100, 50 or so I played on the real DS first, so I HAVE means to compare them.

No, DS emulator isn't worse than the N64 one, and if you think so, you haven't tested DESMUME properly. Both 1964 and Project64 are amazing, but have far to many issues in most games. Minor issues most of the times, thats for sure, but still MANY issues. And sound emulation is still meh, most games have crackling sound all around.

Oh, and this so called AA that you claim the NDS have. I'm blind, as you may know already, so I still can't notice it on the real DS. And I still think you are full of it, but I'm still trying to find some official information about this AA that you say that the DS does. Until then, I'll still say that you are full of it.

Still, dismissing an emulator just because it doesn't have AA, makes me think you are not but a whiny baby.

Snes9x is regarded as pretty accurate. Functionally, I found Zsnes better, as it actually does some enhancement over the original in terms of performance and even some effects.
What timing issues in Zero Mission and genesis emulation? Never encountered anything noteworthy.
Dithering is pretty damn minor.

Why not just look at the picture I linked? I even circled areas where AA is clearly noticeable on the edges of objects. Are you looking at textures or something? Textures don't have any AA. They're textures. Nobody antialiases textures. That's just stupid.

N64 emulation is complicated, like I said. It's high level emulation for a system before there were standards, but that used advanced hardware acceleration for 3D effects, texture blending, ect.
It's likely we won't see a perfect N64 emulator until sometime after PCSX2 is as far along as EPSXE, because it did things differently than anything we use today. In spite of that, we have resolution enhancement, texture modifications, antialiasing, proper filtering, and most of the games work great.
Also, I haven't had any significant sound bugs playing Zelda on Mupen, outside of using Headphone mode. Even Surround seems to work pretty damn well.

It doesn't just not have AA. It has a ton of bugs, textures don't draw correctly, the result of which is pretty nasty, there's no resolution options to offset the total lack of antialiasing, and a lot of the software is rather bugged out.
It's especially bad in polygon 2D games with a lot of 3D effects. Just looks downright nasty, but looked great on the original DS hardware.
---
#38viserdesPosted 1/13/2014 8:48:51 PM
I doubt you can run it well on netbooks. I think you will need something like i5 3210m to run it properly on laptops.
#39MarceloSampaioPosted 1/14/2014 5:04:29 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
... whine...

Like I said, you sound like a whiny baby. Even if the emu lacks this imaginary AA, it still doesn't look nasty, specially with some post filtering (I'm using hq2xs in this example because its one that I like). Choose a game, and I'll show a screenshot of it working quite well. With or without post filtering.

http://imgur.com/k2LWsPl

And the emulator doesn't that many bugs, I still wonder where that came from. Its not as good as the real hardware, but NO emulator works as good as the real thing. But saying that THIS is garbage? I would imagine someone would say that its a good emulator. Not great, not spetacular, but garbage?

Anyway, like I said, to me DeSmuME is great. One of the greatest emulators ever. Its not perfect, but its great. I don't really like using the real DS, since I have issues with my thumbs, so an emulator that works as good as this is a blessing.

BTW, I can't believe someone that nitpicks so much uses ZSNES. :p ZSNES has sooooo many timing issues that it seems like a joke, man. Even Super Mario World has timing issues in ZSNES. I do recommend Snes9X, since its a lot more developed.
---