This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

SimCity finally getting offline mode.

#31NotQuiteAFreakPosted 1/13/2014 4:00:26 PM(edited)
KillerTruffle posted...
arleas posted...
The funny thing about this quote is that the exact same thing came out of Gabe's mouth, and it was taken in exactly the same way, but I think he was faster to put it to rest and so it wasn't nearly as damaging to Valve's image.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=ea+no+more+single+player&oq=EA+no+more+s&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l5.8449j0j9&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#es_sm=93&espv=210&q=Gabe+no+more+single+player <=same link you gave only I changed "EA" to "Gabe"

The difference is that Valve games have always supported MP to some extent - I can't think of a single Valve game that ever did not have MP something.

Portal 1 didn't have multiplayer. Half Life's multiplayer games are also considered as a seperate entities to the main series too... If that counts. :/

EDIT: I might also buy SimCity now that it has an offline option... It's still pretty damn expensive though and never seems to go on sale.
---
Not changing sig till we get a sequel to Freedom Fighters.
Started 13/4/2010
#32JohnnyKoochPosted 1/13/2014 4:02:02 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
I'm torn actually. I'm still pretty pissed at EA pulling this stunt in the first place. There was NO reason to force it on people like they did, and they've bull*****ed us the entire way about how it "has" to be online and stuff. I don't want to support companies that pull crap like that.

On the other hand tho, I do like the SimCity franchise, and I want this change to register as a *good* thing with them. I'm hoping lots of people buy it once it has offline mode, just so they know they could have had more sales from the start if they hadn't been stupid. I'm concerned that if they patch offline mode in and no one gets it, they'll just use that as an excuse and say "see? No one cared about it being offline anyway." I want it to be clear to them that their initial stance was bad, and offline mode does have benefits.

I might buy it - on sale if I do - but I still haven't fully decided yet. The always-online crap was really the only thing turning me off of it.

The term "Pirating" is the strongest in your case.
Or maybe even "Robin Hood-ing", enjoying something without paying for it / fueling a series of terrible business decisions.
#33KillerTruffle(Topic Creator)Posted 1/13/2014 4:04:34 PM
NotQuiteAFreak posted...
KillerTruffle posted...
arleas posted...
The funny thing about this quote is that the exact same thing came out of Gabe's mouth, and it was taken in exactly the same way, but I think he was faster to put it to rest and so it wasn't nearly as damaging to Valve's image.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=ea+no+more+single+player&oq=EA+no+more+s&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l5.8449j0j9&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#es_sm=93&espv=210&q=Gabe+no+more+single+player <=same link you gave only I changed "EA" to "Gabe"

The difference is that Valve games have always supported MP to some extent - I can't think of a single Valve game that ever did not have MP something.

Portal 1 didn't have multiplayer. Half Life's multiplayer games are also considered as a seperate entities to the main series too... If that counts. :/

EDIT: I might also buy SimCity now that it has an offline option... It's still pretty damn expensive though and never seems to go on sale.

You are correct - for some reason, that one slipped my mind a bit. Half-Life's MP was through a separate .exe, but was still on the disc, so I count it as the same game. Several games back in that time period used separate .exes for SP or MP. Some of the Jedi Knight games are other examples of the same thing - separate .exe for each, but still both parts of the same game.

Portal 1 is a valid point tho. I missed that one.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#34nightshadeAPosted 1/15/2014 11:09:17 PM
well it did make sense to a point i mean since 2000 you connected to neighboring cities and i think it was simcity 4 where you can build more than one city/borough

so the thought was well if they liked that why not have it where everyone can play together

Problem was they didnt learn from the sims online failure in the fact that people dont play sim games to play together

of course i think sims online would of worked if you played it like a sims game and not just make one character like they did ........
---
theres no point in telling me the wisdom of fool wont set me free"neworder
"mr zurkon dosent shoot and ask questions later asking questions is stupid
#35Arya1Posted 1/15/2014 11:15:11 PM
EA_Propaganda posted...

Electronic Arts does not make "Cash in DLC", It takes a large team of people to make said DLC you call a cash in, Nevermind the fact that we released the DLC before the game was out, That was just a coincidence.

I legitimately laughed when I read the account name.