This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gaming PC Help: Cost needed to play Witcher 3 et al

#1Deaths_BladePosted 1/14/2014 9:23:00 AM(edited)
I've been hanging around here for a while, looking at LogicalIncriments.com for possible gaming builds. As Witcher 3 probably has the highest system demands for anything I want to play, I want to be able to run it reasonably well, and all other games [such as DA:I, Dishonoured etc] will hopefully follow suit.

However, as a rule I don't like spending money. Therefore, I suppose I'm asking for some advice on exactly how much I need to spend on a gaming PC build to run Witcher 3?

The following are the only specs I've been able to find, and they ask for a GTX580, which is dirt cheap.

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=3443&game=The%20Witcher%20III

But I'm not sure whether this is an accurate set of requirements or not. Can anyone give me some advice, both on what I need for Witcher 3, or on any option for getting a gaming PC other than paying expensive.

How is the 2nd hand market for this stuff? For example, would this be sufficient, or even worth the money?
http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/109871199/alienware-x51-full-set-up.html
---
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it - Thomas Paine: The American Crisis IV
#2PraetorXynPosted 1/14/2014 9:26:22 AM
You should never take system requirements for much of anything.
Minimum requirements are basically another way of saying "If you meet these, you can start the game and play it without constant crashing."

Recommended basically means "you can run it reasonably."

You have to decide on the level of graphical fidelity you want. If you want to max that game, it's going to cost you a lot of money assuming it's anything like The Witcher 2 was when it came out.

You're better off just buying a non-reference R( 290X if you don't like spending money. It's a good card for the price and will run the game great at 1080P.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#3Deaths_Blade(Topic Creator)Posted 1/14/2014 9:30:41 AM
PraetorXyn posted...
You have to decide on the level of graphical fidelity you want. If you want to max that game, it's going to cost you a lot of money assuming it's anything like The Witcher 2 was when it came out.

You're better off just buying a non-reference R( 290X if you don't like spending money. It's a good card for the price and will run the game great at 1080P.

I'm happy running Witcher 3 on medium. I'm sick of playing everything on minimum, but aslong as I get a decent resolution, the actual graphics aren't so critical.

From a quick Google, the non-reference R 290x seems to cost about 400. Have I got the wrong thing?
---
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it - Thomas Paine: The American Crisis IV
#4PraetorXynPosted 1/14/2014 9:36:04 AM
Deaths_Blade posted...
PraetorXyn posted...

I'm happy running Witcher 3 on medium. I'm sick of playing everything on minimum, but aslong as I get a decent resolution, the actual graphics aren't so critical.

From a quick Google, the non-reference R 290x seems to cost about 400. Have I got the wrong thing?

I forgot that the prices shot up because of all the bitcoin/litecoin mining.

If you're in the UK you have that 20% VAT tax so you're going to get raped regardless.

I just looked on amazon.co.uk and you can get R9-290's for around ~300 and the R9 280X for ~250.

If you're honestly OK running at medium you could get away with less, but there's not much point of gaming on a PC unless you're doing it at high or better.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#5AnatomyHorrorPosted 1/14/2014 9:45:55 AM
Well, since there is no official system requirements out yet, it's hard to say.

I'd be willing to bet that any decent i5 and a mid range card could run the game between 30-60fps on medium/high settings.

Since it's open world, and has dem witcher 3 graphics, you'll probably need an OC'd i7 and the best of the best cards and possibly sli them to max it out at 60fps.
#6godplaysSNESPosted 1/14/2014 9:50:13 AM
Today's high-end should run it comfortably at medium, or CD Projekt will have terrible sales figures. But we won't know for sure until it's released.

It will probably be more optimized for Nvidia than AMD, as well as having Nvidia exclusive features like PhysX.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#7Deaths_Blade(Topic Creator)Posted 1/14/2014 9:56:49 AM
AnatomyHorror posted...
Well, since there is no official system requirements out yet, it's hard to say.

I'd be willing to bet that any decent i5 and a mid range card could run the game between 30-60fps on medium/high settings.

Since it's open world, and has dem witcher 3 graphics, you'll probably need an OC'd i7 and the best of the best cards and possibly sli them to max it out at 60fps.

I'd frankly be happy at 30FPS. I've got the cash to buy a really good build, but I don't want to spend it as such, and an i7 is 450 alone.

godplaysSNES posted...
Today's high-end should run it comfortably at medium, or CD Projekt will have terrible sales figures. But we won't know for sure until it's released.

It will probably be more optimized for Nvidia than AMD, as well as having Nvidia exclusive features like PhysX.

So, on LI, perhaps the 500 range is about right? Eg. GTX650 Ti Boost, i3 3240 and 8GB Ram? I'm trying to get a feel for how much I have to spend to enjoy Witcher 3 et al.

Regarding my other question: How do you guys feel about 2nd hand builds? I don't have a problem with that, but I'm very wary of buying 2nd hand electronics of any kind.
---
#8godplaysSNESPosted 1/14/2014 10:02:10 AM
Some people may disagree, but I'd definitely get an i5 instead of an i3, possibly even an i7.

Once you become CPU limited, there's not much you can do to improve performance, and upgrading the CPU is more bothersome than upgrading the GPU.

I'm personally not fond of getting components second hand.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#9zhenghanPosted 1/14/2014 10:41:08 AM(edited)
godplaysSNES posted...
Some people may disagree, but I'd definitely get an i5 instead of an i3, possibly even an i7.

Once you become CPU limited, there's not much you can do to improve performance, and upgrading the CPU is more bothersome than upgrading the GPU.

I'm personally not fond of getting components second hand.

upgrading the CPU is just too much of a PITA. might as well do a new build then...or something like motherboard, memory, CPU, heatsink, operating system, (hard disk) all at the same time which is like half a build lol.
---
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish
#10Deaths_Blade(Topic Creator)Posted 1/14/2014 11:08:21 AM
http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/full-gaming-pc-plays-all-games/1043701674#photo-content

What is your opinion on the above build, for the price? It looks like a good place to start if I wanted to save some money. I'd of course have to upgrade the card at some point, but the processor looks pretty good to me.

6 core phenom 2 1100t 3.3ghz
GTX560
8gb ram
---