This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The Banner Saga launch day

#1pothocketPosted 1/14/2014 10:50:13 AM
Anyone else waiting for this game to unlock?

I've had this game on my radar for awhile now and might be one of those "holy grail" games for me. Seems like it has a little bit of everything that I look for in a game.
#2PokenubPosted 1/14/2014 10:52:44 AM(edited)
Never heard of it. One second, let me see.
"The core of the game is a single-player campaign of turn-based combat engagements inspired by games such as Final Fantasy Tactics and Shining Force,"

From the Wiki. Welp, not interested here. Wrong style of RPG for me.
---
Damn it.. I swear I had something for this..
#3pothocket(Topic Creator)Posted 1/14/2014 10:53:50 AM
Copied from store page:

About the Game
Live through an epic role-playing Viking saga where your strategic choices directly affect your personal journey. Make allies as you travel with your caravan across this stunning yet harsh landscape. Carefully choose those who will help fight a new threat that jeopardizes an entire civilization. Every decision you make in travel, conversation and combat has a meaningful effect on the outcome as your story unfolds. Not everyone will survive, but they will be remembered.

Key Features
Player choice that drives your own narrative every decision you make in travel, conversation and combat has a meaningful effect on the outcome as your story unfolds.

Over 25 playable characters from 2 different races, human and varl, the horned giants embark on your epic journey with a variety of characters from 7 different classes, each with unique abilities and upgrade options to fit your play style.

Strategic combat with consequences - victory or defeat and even the permanent loss of a character depends on which characters you choose to take into battle and what decisions you make afterwards.

The journey is as important as battle your role in building and managing your caravan as you travel the vast frozen landscape is critical to not only your own survival but the survival of an entire civilization.

An epic Viking saga brought to life in 2D glory beautifully hand drawn combat sequences and animations, accompanied by an evocative score from Grammy-nominated composer Austin Wintory, will immerse you into a fantasy realm inspired by Norse mythology.
#4PokenubPosted 1/14/2014 10:56:01 AM
Looks like it might be interesting to fire emblem fans too, with the whole character permadeath thing. Seems like a decent sounding game, just not really my type of thing. I hope you enjoy it though :)
---
Damn it.. I swear I had something for this..
#5Cool_Dude667Posted 1/14/2014 11:03:50 AM
It sounds amazing, but 25 bucks seems alittle steep *shrug*
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#6MortalDangerPosted 1/14/2014 11:20:58 AM
Ugh, I drunk bought it last night. This better be good.
---
God Bless America.
#7pothocket(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2014 11:14:28 AM
Well, I played for a quite awhile last night and I'm not impressed. The combat mechanics are severely lacking for a tactics game.

For one, characters do not threaten adjacent spaces. Units can move around and away from hostile units with no penalty. The game features some large characters that take up 4 spaces instead of 1 and I suspect the only reason for this is to compensate for the poor design by making it easy to trap certain characters and prevent them from moving (because they're too large to maneuver)

The other main issue is, as far as I can tell, character speed is not represented in the game in any way. All characters not only have the same uniform base speed, but (because of the way turn order works) units gain speed the more uneven the teams are. The less allies they have the faster they move. It results in this weird strategy where it's better to leave weak units alive rather than kill them because they essentially end up wasting enemy turns. Yeah, it's as stupid as it sounds.
#8Ork_HeroPosted 1/15/2014 11:19:29 AM
Huh I remember this game was a F2P game with a cash shop.
---
'Ere we go!
UK gamer girl
#9pothocket(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2014 11:23:33 AM
Ork_Hero posted...
Huh I remember this game was a F2P game with a cash shop.

That was a pure P-vs-P version of the game that focused on just combat. The game that released yesterday is the full single player campaign that offers much more than just tactical combat gameplay.
#10SpazH3dPosted 1/15/2014 11:28:56 AM
I'm a little disappointed you cannot pick which character to attack with. It's queue based. That kills some of the strategy for me.

And no subtitles during the movies. You give us this fabulous Scandinavian accent, and then no subs? Why. Everyone knows Scandinavians speak with a potato in their mouth at all times.
---
- My vision is augmented