This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Alternative to HAF XM?

#1KillerTrufflePosted 1/14/2014 6:22:19 PM
So I've been keeping an eye on the HAF XM for a while now, hoping it'd get a little cheaper, missed one sale, and apparently waited too long because they seem to be discontinued now. They're out of stock pretty much everywhere I can find but Fry's or eBay. I absolutely will never deal with Fry's again for any reason, and I don't buy from eBay, so if those end up being my only two options for the XM, I guess I'm looking for a comparable alternative.

Elements I'm looking for:

* Mid tower
* High air flow through the case - 1 or more top fans is ideal, but not required if the case ventilates well enough without
* Easy to work in
* No front panel door
* Power/Reset buttons and connections (USB, etc.) all at the top of the case rather than middle or bottom
* Motherboard tray with cutout below CPU to allow aftermarket heatsink install without removing motherboard
* Removable motherboard tray preferable, but not mandatory
* No LED fans, or ability to easily disable LEDs without playing with wiring or replacing the fans
* No extra LED lights, or ability to easily disable them
* No odd/excessively flashy case designs - looking for a pretty basic, understated, or sleek design. HAF XM is about as flashy as I'd be OK with
* Solid build quality - sturdy, with no sharp unfinished edges inside to gouge yourself on
* Solid cable management system *behind* the motherboard tray (HAF XM's cable management looks excellent with the variety of grommeted holes)
* Sufficient width to hold a Hyper 212+
* Sufficient depth to hold larger GPUs
* At least 6 internal 3.5" bays, and at least 2 external 5.25" bays
* Black or dark gray preferred (my fan controller and DVD drive are black)
* Price in the neighborhood of $100 or less (in other words, $120 debatable, $150 too much)

The XM looked pretty much perfect for me, and it's my fault for waiting too long, but I totally didn't expect it to disappear from everywhere like this, considering several older HAF cases are still being sold. So anything else that comes to mind that meets all of that? My current case is not ideal, but it's good enough for now that I'm still going to be very picky on finding exactly what I want.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#2hatmann40Posted 1/14/2014 7:15:53 PM
if you have a microcenter near you i would check there, mine almost always has them in stock.
#3KillerTruffle(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2014 11:33:25 AM
I don't. :( Closest one is like 6-7 hours south of me.
---
#4LvthnPosted 1/15/2014 11:40:26 AM
pcpartspicker shows it in stock in a few places, I know because I was literally about to buy one from newegg. Now I guess I'll take another dealer.

Only alternative is really going full tower, the XM is damn near a full tower.
#5KillerTruffle(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2014 12:06:24 PM
I'm wondering how accurate pcpartspicker is, because it shows it in stock at Amazon, but it's not. Amazon would be ideal since shipping tends to be so expensive, and I have Amazon Prime which eliminates that *and* gives me 2-day delivery.

It looks like NCIX has it in stock right now (and has free shipping, which is a plus)... unfortunately, can't buy it for another week. I'm hoping it's still in stock there by next payday. :P

Thanks for the idea to check pcpartspicker tho - I seem to always forget that site.

I'm still open to possible alternative cases, BTW, but the XM does seem ideally what i"m looking for.
---
#6Kad-ManPosted 1/15/2014 12:12:16 PM
I love my Haf XM hope you find one dude its a killer mid tower case. However if I had to get a new case it would be a Haf XB Evo instead.
#7KillerTruffle(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2014 12:20:49 PM
I've seen that one... I don't think that form factor would work well where I have to put it. I pretty much need a traditional tower. My case goes on the ground (no desk space for it), and not only would the XB be too wide, but it's so low it would defeat the purpose of trying to get all the buttons and front panel connectors at the top. heh
---
#8LvthnPosted 1/16/2014 12:34:56 AM
KillerTruffle posted...
I'm wondering how accurate pcpartspicker is, because it shows it in stock at Amazon, but it's not. Amazon would be ideal since shipping tends to be so expensive, and I have Amazon Prime which eliminates that *and* gives me 2-day delivery.

It looks like NCIX has it in stock right now (and has free shipping, which is a plus)... unfortunately, can't buy it for another week. I'm hoping it's still in stock there by next payday. :P

Thanks for the idea to check pcpartspicker tho - I seem to always forget that site.

I'm still open to possible alternative cases, BTW, but the XM does seem ideally what i"m looking for.

There's one less in stock at NCIX now...bought mine tonight. I know exactly what you mean, if I couldn't get an XM I'd probably just go full tower, no other mid tower seems to have as many fan options.
#9a687947Posted 1/16/2014 2:40:15 AM(edited)
i have an HAF 912 Advanced that has a lot of room inside; it is about two inches wider than most mid towers and has plenty of room for wire management as well as very good airflow, my 4670k sits around 26 Celsius with a 212 Evo. The regular 912's are around $60