This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Windows 8... Erm... Which version do I actually buy?

#21NotQuiteAFreak(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2014 9:53:55 AM(edited)
gastaman posted...
Conker posted...
If you have access to a .edu email you can get Windows 8.1 Pro for $69.99. EDIT AGAIN: this is actually a full ISO, you just have to download it. It's the full Pro version of Windows 8.1, you don't have to upgrade from another version of Windows to get it.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Windows-8.1-Pro-Student/productID.288769600

This still, technically, only grants an Upgrade License. Technically, a copy of Windows 7 is required to be installed, prior to the installation of this.

Wait so I can't build a new computer with this version? Or do I just have to burn/move it to a DVD/USB (I do have Windows 7 computer at the moment but I'm going to use Windows 8/8.1 on a new build (I probably should have explained this earlier too)) :/

LordSeifer posted...
NotQuiteAFreak posted...

Windows 8, Windows 8 Pro, Windows 8.1 Full version, Windows 8.1 Pro! Windows 8.1 Pro pack!!! AHHHHHHHH!!!

I already miss Windows 7... :(

did you mean windows 7 starter, windows 7 home basic, windows 7 enterprise, windows 7 home premium retail, windows 7 home premium OEM, windows 7 professional, windows 7 ultimate?

Touche.
---
Not changing sig till we get a sequel to Freedom Fighters.
Started 13/4/2010
#22Flaktrooper123Posted 1/15/2014 9:55:46 AM
Just make sure it is the 64bit version. Everything else, just take whichever you want.
#23NotQuiteAFreak(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2014 12:41:33 PM
Bump for an answer for the Student Windows 8.1 question...
---
Started 13/4/2010
#24Fade2black001Posted 1/15/2014 1:00:20 PM
NotQuiteAFreak posted...
rusty12000 posted...
Just keep Windows 7

Fade2black001 posted...
Windows 7 x64

NEVER! I can't live the bottom down life like you. I want it all: the terrifying lows, the dizzying highs, the creamy middles. Sure I might offend a few of the bluenoses with my cocky stride and musky oders. Oh, I'll never be the darling of the so called "PC masterrace" who cluck their tougues, stroke their breads, and talk about "What's to be done with this NotQuiteAFreak?"

You need help and a lot of it. To me I live the high life being on Windows 7. Windows 8 is such a freaking mess its not even funny.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#25NotQuiteAFreak(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2014 3:24:28 PM
Fade2black001 posted...
NotQuiteAFreak posted...
rusty12000 posted...
Just keep Windows 7

Fade2black001 posted...
Windows 7 x64

NEVER! I can't live the bottom down life like you. I want it all: the terrifying lows, the dizzying highs, the creamy middles. Sure I might offend a few of the bluenoses with my cocky stride and musky oders. Oh, I'll never be the darling of the so called "PC masterrace" who cluck their tougues, stroke their breads, and talk about "What's to be done with this NotQuiteAFreak?"

You need help and a lot of it. To me I live the high life being on Windows 7. Windows 8 is such a freaking mess its not even funny.

It's not about the high life, it's about the journey...
---
Started 13/4/2010
#26SonyHoundDawgPosted 1/15/2014 7:02:05 PM
windows 8 64 bit is fine. 8.1 is an update which youll up doing once you get your pc going. If your buying a prebuit it should be ocming with 8.1 now.

Windows 8 is better then 7 for gaming. For work applications, windows 7 is still better. A lot of professional applications dont work with windows 8 good. But windows 8 uses less computer resources which means more left over for gaming.
#27NotQuiteAFreak(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2014 10:33:19 PM
NotQuiteAFreak posted...

---
Started 13/4/2010
#28NotQuiteAFreak(Topic Creator)Posted 1/16/2014 8:51:06 AM
NotQuiteAFreak posted...
NotQuiteAFreak posted...

---
Started 13/4/2010
#29DoomkillaPosted 1/16/2014 9:17:08 AM
rusty12000 posted...
Just keep Windows 7

---
"The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern."
Moiraine Damodred
#30Fade2black001Posted 1/16/2014 10:28:34 AM
NotQuiteAFreak posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
NotQuiteAFreak posted...
rusty12000 posted...
Just keep Windows 7

Fade2black001 posted...
Windows 7 x64

It's not about the high life, it's about the journey...

It would be a very very unpleasant journey then.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.