This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Started playing Rogue Legacy... any tips?

#11Custers_RevengePosted 1/15/2014 5:35:26 PM
The game will get easier once you've memorized how the different enemy types behave. Once you've memorized how everything moves and fights, you'll live a lot longer and make much more progress. There's a lot of trial and error involved.
#12HydroCannabinolPosted 1/15/2014 6:21:36 PM
jake-sf posted...
The game is little more than a grind fest. So just keep grinding.

Only if you're terrible.
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#13Doomsday FortePosted 1/15/2014 6:36:57 PM
Double jump is a great rune. Nowhere in the game explicitly requires extra jumps, but it can be handy for getting around obstacles or attacks. That said...

A lot of the "strategy" in this game comes from how you buy your skills when you die. Everything goes up in cost when you buy something, so you kinda have to plan ahead in this regard. What I did was just put one point in everything to unlock the entire manor and then figure out what I wanted beyond that, so I'd have every class (at the time) unlocked and a good idea of what stats and so on were possible. I think I worked to get every class upgrade and then try to focus on reducing Charon's tax and boosting the gold find stat, to make future purchases less painful.

I honestly didn't have much luck with finding gear. Runes yes, but I'm at the final boss before the last patch added more bosses and an extra class, and I think the best gear I have is Ranger-class.

There are teleporters in front of every boss room. Use those so you can send your next character to fight them as soon as you enter the castle. This helps a lot since you don't want to waste time and health trying to get to the boss, or money having the layout saved (you should typically save layouts for stuff like Fairy Chests or whatever).
---
Crimson night & Celsion moon, misfiction, not save the Player is Prayer, yes, Dance Romanesque and unfinished Romancia.
#14chrono625Posted 1/15/2014 7:41:14 PM
you will die a lot. the point of the game is to collect as much gold as you can in each run and then upgrade your characters and castle.
---
http://tinyurl.com/7wjgorf - Super Bowl XXI/XXV/XLII/XLVI Champions - NY Giants
Eli Manning SB tracker: 2/2 Superbowls 2/2 SBMVP's
#15xLexLuth0rx(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2014 8:33:00 PM
Doomsday Forte posted...
There are teleporters in front of every boss room. Use those so you can send your next character to fight them as soon as you enter the castle. This helps a lot since you don't want to waste time and health trying to get to the boss, or money having the layout saved (you should typically save layouts for stuff like Fairy Chests or whatever).

With regards to the above comment, are you referring to selecting the option to lock the castle when I die and start a new character? I've managed to defeat the first boss but I did see a couple portals in this first section and wondered what the advantage was for having them. That option basically keeps everything as is at a hit to -40% of gold, right?
---
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
"And like that, *poof*. He's gone."
#16Doomsday FortePosted 1/15/2014 10:47:19 PM
xLexLuth0rx posted...
Doomsday Forte posted...

With regards to the above comment, are you referring to selecting the option to lock the castle when I die and start a new character? I've managed to defeat the first boss but I did see a couple portals in this first section and wondered what the advantage was for having them. That option basically keeps everything as is at a hit to -40% of gold, right?

Yeah, when you choose to lock the castle, the layout remains exactly as it was for the person who went in last, just you take a hit to your gold earned for the current run. The teleporters are free to use, at least. You should always activate them when you stumble across them, since they're permanent.

There's one that's pink that will send you to a random zone, most typically the dungeon/underworld whatever, so don't try that unless you're feeling ballsy. You'll know when you see it, but it's not in the same room as a boss' door.
---
Crimson night & Celsion moon, misfiction, not save the Player is Prayer, yes, Dance Romanesque and unfinished Romancia.
#17xLexLuth0rx(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2014 11:19:14 PM(edited)
Thanks Doomsday for the clarification.

So I just found an Obol item and upon entering the castle, the guy says he'll gladly take it and allow me through the other gates. The only option is to allow this and pay the toll. Does this item have any significance? I only have like $50 gold so seems a waste to give up the item unless it's worthless...
---
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
"And like that, *poof*. He's gone."
#18BrainhunterPosted 1/15/2014 11:31:50 PM
Early in the game, hunt for equipment blueprints / runes. These have a larger effect on your survival than stat boosts, which drive the overall cost of upgrading your character.

Unlock all the classes early on for more choice: you'll find classes you'll appreciate more.

Generally speaking, Castle -> Forest -> Maya Tower -> Abyss in terms of difficulty.
---
i5 2500K@4.5GHz|EVGA GTX770 ACX|G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 8GB|Samsung 840 Pro 256GB|Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 3TB|Corsair TX750M|CM COSMOS
#19some_guy369Posted 1/16/2014 10:26:49 PM
I would recommend to not buy the reduced Charon penalty skill. It's pretty much a waste, go for the increased gold instead.
Also you should focus on health and strength first to help increase your survivability.
---
GT: cool guy 369
PSN: some_jon
#20CatToyPosted 1/16/2014 10:28:26 PM
some_guy369 posted...
I would recommend to not buy the reduced Charon penalty skill. It's pretty much a waste, go for the increased gold instead.

This is a good idea. It's high cost means it will take a lot of deaths to become financially worth while, money that could otherwise be spent elsewhere to keep you from dying at all.
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.