This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Not sure if GFaqs is the right place for this question, but..

#1FroodjaklePosted 1/15/2014 4:42:42 PM
Hey guys. I'm an aspiring game programmer and designer, been teaching myself to learn coding over the past ~7 years or so. I've been working on a project over the last few weeks, and as inspired as I am to make a full-fledged game, I dread certain elements of it - particularly background graphic design and sound effect work. I'm capable of the former, though I don't particularly enjoy it, but I would have no idea how to go about making pleasant, authentic sound effects from scratch.

So my question is, does anybody know of any game development sites or forums where one could get in contact with others in the same field? I'd love to try and get a team together to work on this rather than going at it alone, but I have no idea where to start. Any help would be appreciated.
---
PSN: Froodjakle
Currently playing: Warframe, Tales of Xillia, Ni No Kuni, Rune Factory 4, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate,
#2Treason686Posted 1/15/2014 5:02:07 PM
So after you learn to teach yourself coding, you should start learning how to write code :P

To answer your question, I don't know of any specific sites, no. I imagine you'll be looking at using a specific game engine or API, so maybe you should linger around those forums.

The advice I received was not to jump in head first. Get some placeholder stuff, make a prototype, and put your prototype out there for people to play it.

Think about the problem you're having: There are graphic artists out there with the exact same problem. They want to make a game, or make art, or something like that, but they don't know a thing about actual development. Maybe stick the prototype on some forums where people make/learn about making game models? Perhaps the same thing with the audio.

I'm the same way as you... I can DO some art. I can probably even make some music. It's going to suck though, and I find it an absolute bore.
---
PC: Core i7 920 || 6GB DDR3 || GTX 660 Ti || HP w2408h
#3neroAngeloPosted 1/15/2014 5:09:39 PM
For communities try TIGSource and reddit.com/r/gamedev. You might be able to find people to join you on TIGSource and there is reddit.com/r/gamedevclassifieds specifically for looking for others to join a team.

If you don't mind doing everything but audio, I usually browse soundcloud and contact the creator when I find something I like.
---
PSWii360U - This is how I triforce http://i.imgur.com/9qF9vGa.jpg
i7 920 @3.3GHz, 6GB DDR3, 7850 2GB
#4chase1234lifePosted 1/15/2014 5:21:19 PM(edited)
If you're interested in sound, I'd be willing to help out, depending on your needs. Ambient sound/Foley work is something I've done, and like doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHy9NLpKXjg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSXiuNZ2aiE

And I do a bit of music as well
http://wolf4life.bandcamp.com/

---
http://www.last.fm/user/chasewolf
J.O.B. Squad 4 life
#5Froodjakle(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2014 5:47:03 PM
I actually do have a prototype of sorts already. There's no real level design, but it has a good amount of the primary mechanics in place and fully functioning, as well as placeholder (and some permanent) graphics. It's being developed in Game Maker: Studio, for those who want to know. And just for the record, I have indeed spent many a late night writing code, you cheeky bastard :P

Problem with hanging around the GMC is that the vast majority of people there are extremely amateur programmers. There are very few artists. GM was originally developed with ease-of-coding in mind, so a lot of beginner developers flock to it even now that it's evolved past that and truly capable of making some great games. I'm not going to say I'm an expert, but I have enough know-how to start and finish a full game by now, no problem.

I'll keep you in mind, Chase - I do like your work, but I have a feeling the work you're looking for is a different kind of game than I have altogether. I probably should have mentioned it in the OP, but the game is very much in the same vein as classics like Zelda and Metroid, firmly planted in the realm of 2D platforming (no, it's not 'retro styled', as so many games are saying lately to pass off their crappy graphics as acceptable and professional.)

Here's a screenshot of the current build, for those who are interested.
http://i.imgur.com/M6dfYmG.png
---
Currently playing: Warframe, Tales of Xillia, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD ReMIX, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
#6HydroCannabinolPosted 1/15/2014 6:25:29 PM
Froodjakle posted...
--
I'll keep you in mind, Chase - I do like your work, but I have a feeling the work you're looking for is a different kind of game than I have altogether. I probably should have mentioned it in the OP, but the game is very much in the same vein as classics like Zelda and Metroid, firmly planted in the realm of 2D platforming (no, it's not 'retro styled', as so many games are saying lately to pass off their crappy graphics as acceptable and professional.)

*Clicks on link and sees crappy pixel graphics*

rofl
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#7MercurysMessagePosted 1/15/2014 6:29:36 PM
Froodjakle posted...
I actually do have a prototype of sorts already. There's no real level design, but it has a good amount of the primary mechanics in place and fully functioning, as well as placeholder (and some permanent) graphics. It's being developed in Game Maker: Studio, for those who want to know. And just for the record, I have indeed spent many a late night writing code, you cheeky bastard :P

Problem with hanging around the GMC is that the vast majority of people there are extremely amateur programmers. There are very few artists. GM was originally developed with ease-of-coding in mind, so a lot of beginner developers flock to it even now that it's evolved past that and truly capable of making some great games. I'm not going to say I'm an expert, but I have enough know-how to start and finish a full game by now, no problem.

What programming language/s are you using?
---
i5 3570k @ 3.6ghz | GTX 650 Ti Boost | 8gb DDR3 Corsair Vengenace - 1866 | 1TB HDD
#8Froodjakle(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2014 6:32:10 PM
HydroCannabinol posted...
Froodjakle posted...
*snip*

*Clicks on link and sees crappy pixel graphics*

rofl

There's a difference between pixelated graphics and 2 color, 8x8, lazy atari 2600-level graphics. I'm going for an SNES level of graphical fidelity, not fully hand-drawn paintings by an art student. Thanks for diminishing them down to 'crappy pixel graphics' though, I appreciate that.
---
Currently playing: Warframe, Tales of Xillia, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD ReMIX, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
#9Froodjakle(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2014 6:33:38 PM
MercurysMessage posted...
Froodjakle posted...
*snip*

GM:Studio uses its own language, aptly titled GML, or Game Maker Language. In the time I've spent, I've noticed it shares many similarities to C++, though GML tends to be a bit more 'readable'.
---
#10MercurysMessagePosted 1/15/2014 6:35:02 PM
Froodjakle posted...
MercurysMessage posted...
Froodjakle posted...
*snip*

GM:Studio uses its own language, aptly titled GML, or Game Maker Language. In the time I've spent, I've noticed it shares many similarities to C++, though GML tends to be a bit more 'readable'.

Ok, I am currently learning Java in University. I have taken a look at C++ before and it is very similar.
---
i5 3570k @ 3.6ghz | GTX 650 Ti Boost | 8gb DDR3 Corsair Vengenace - 1866 | 1TB HDD