This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Not sure if GFaqs is the right place for this question, but..

#11KillerTrufflePosted 1/15/2014 6:44:34 PM
I've taken a bit of Java and C++, and I'm not sure I'd call them all that similar. *Some* things are similar, but the languages as a whole?
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#12MercurysMessagePosted 1/15/2014 6:46:53 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
I've taken a bit of Java and C++, and I'm not sure I'd call them all that similar. *Some* things are similar, but the languages as a whole?

I find them to be, of course reserved words are different, and you can program in C++ procedurally, but they are pretty similar; syntax-wise and usage wise. If you understand one well, the other is not hard to learn.
---
i5 3570k @ 3.6ghz | GTX 650 Ti Boost | 8gb DDR3 Corsair Vengenace - 1866 | 1TB HDD
#13Froodjakle(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2014 6:50:44 PM
MercurysMessage posted...
KillerTruffle posted...

I find them to be, of course reserved words are different, and you can program in C++ procedurally, but they are pretty similar; syntax-wise and usage wise. If you understand one well, the other is not hard to learn.

I think the same thing can be said for most coding languages, really. The logic behind coding is what really takes the most time to learn, in my experience, so once you get to the point where you can code efficiently in one language, it's much easier to learn new ones.
---
PSN: Froodjakle
Currently playing: Warframe, Tales of Xillia, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD ReMIX, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
#14Treason686Posted 1/15/2014 8:17:10 PM
Froodjakle posted...
MercurysMessage posted...
KillerTruffle posted...

I think the same thing can be said for most coding languages, really. The logic behind coding is what really takes the most time to learn, in my experience, so once you get to the point where you can code efficiently in one language, it's much easier to learn new ones.

Absolutely true. The curriculum at my school for CS majors is around 90 percent C just because it's so bare-bones and requires you to make many functions from scratch. They throw Java at the SE and CIS majors :)

I'm not familiar with Game Maker, but I wish you luck. Deviant art is a site that a lot of artists congregate, so it might be worth your time to lurk around there and make a stripped down version of your game for demo purposes.
---
PC: Core i7 920 || 6GB DDR3 || GTX 660 Ti || HP w2408h