This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can someone explain to me the hype of GDDR5 Ram and PS4's power?

#1AceandLotus88Posted 1/15/2014 7:50:09 PM
I Remember when the specs were revealed, a lot of people were praising the PS4 power as if it was the next big thing, and hyping up GDDR5 Ram as if it were some great powerhouse in comparison to the Xbox one's Ram.

was It just the Sony and shills hyping it up to people who never had a gaming PC or ignorant console owners, or is the PS4's power really that impressive, even compared to mid range and high end Personal computers?

-posting This here because I don't want to read posts from individuals who likely only owned consoles. Rather, i'd get posts from pc owners.
#2The_AntiGrimPosted 1/15/2014 7:52:51 PM
AceandLotus88 posted...
just the Sony and shills hyping it up to people who never had a gaming PC or ignorant console owners

---
my_name_is_Ed
#3SlaynPosted 1/15/2014 7:59:34 PM
Only idiots believe that.
---
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505
#4DV8ingSourcesPosted 1/15/2014 8:05:06 PM(edited)
We have had GDDR5 on our graphics cards for quite some time now. DDR and GDDR behave differently and are better suited for different tasks. GDDR is generally better for parallel processing and it just so happens that graphics calculations are done in a very rich environment that takes advantage of that. DDR is a bit better at 'random' and can place and pull information from anywhere a little faster than GDDR.

The reason GDDR is used for the consoles is that they both use what is called an APU. They combine the CPU and the GPU into a single chip. Because the benefits of GDDR outweigh the benefits of DDR in a console experience, it makes sense to use GDDR.

So at the end of the day, having both is preferable but a unified memory design does allow for more options in regards to how much of what gets how much of the memory. Having all GDDR is easier to handle basically.

The PS4 is a decent mid-high range pc. My machine can still outperform it by a fair margin but that's not to say the ps4 is weak. The problem I have with the machine is that its only now that console users are getting to see what 1080p and 60fps is all about while we pc users have had access to that performance for the last 5 years easily. My even bigger beef with it, is that its still unable to achieve 60fps @ 1080p in many of its titles and instead either reduces resolution or framerate or even both.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB RAM | 770 + 670 physx | 256 SSD | 8TB HDD | Win 8.1 64bit | ax1200w | CM690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#5Treason686Posted 1/15/2014 8:00:34 PM
I don't know specific architecture or hardware of either console beyond memory, but if we're comparing the RAM, the 360 has 8GB of DDR3 at 2133MHz, while the PS4 has 8GB at 5500MHz.

If that's ALL you're looking at, the PS4 has faster RAM by a pretty significant margin.

It's unclear how either console's GPU and CPU stack up, but I imagine the big picture puts both pretty even.
---
PC: Core i7 920 || 6GB DDR3 || GTX 660 Ti || HP w2408h
#6FenriswolfPosted 1/15/2014 8:09:31 PM
Xbox One is better
---
Hello
#7JavelinPosted 1/15/2014 10:49:23 PM(edited)
AceandLotus88 posted...
ignorant console owners

The above quote is brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department.
---
MSI Z77A-GD55 | Intel Core i7-3770K | Kingston HyperX 8GB | EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB
#8EpicKingdom_Posted 1/15/2014 10:54:58 PM
Account Created Tuesday, January 14, 2014 6:08 AM.

Interesting topic for a newbie.
---
The PC gaming Master Race will never die out. We will continue to train, raise, and breed Master Race.
http://www.youtube.com/user/PCGamingMasterRace87/videos
#9Flaktrooper123Posted 1/15/2014 11:11:32 PM
GDDR5 is just a type of those soldered in RAM. Consoles are not meant to be upgradable anyway so that could be better for them. Putting those on motherboard would mean that you cannot upgrade your RAM on PC. At least we use those all the time as our GPU VRAM.
#10ConkerPosted 1/16/2014 1:33:53 AM
Flaktrooper123 posted...
GDDR5 is just a type of those soldered in RAM. Consoles are not meant to be upgradable anyway so that could be better for them. Putting those on motherboard would mean that you cannot upgrade your RAM on PC. At least we use those all the time as our GPU VRAM.

This got me thinking, would it be more beneficial for a gaming focused device like the Steam Machines or "gaming" laptop to just use GDDR5 with a sufficient amount where it wouldn't be necessary to upgrade beyond that (for most uses)? Couldn't the same ideas Sony went with for the PS4 be applied to those types of systems to improve performance?
---
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!