This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone played the mmo called Firefall? How is it?

#1Epicness2012Posted 1/16/2014 9:22:25 AM
I know it's in open beta so it probably has some problems, but is it fun?
---
http://i.imgur.com/bYgoJ.jpg
Remember, citizens, bullets cost money and resources. Do your part by dying quickly
#2Kokuei05Posted 1/16/2014 9:39:17 AM
It was garbage in closed beta. Didn't check in a couple months.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u155ncSlkCk
#3XianCePosted 1/16/2014 9:48:06 AM
You run around and do missions that appear on the map. You also mine for stuff or whatever using this big drill thingy that you summon from the sky, but you need to protect it from mobs that spawn around it that try to destroy it.

There's no normal quests and stuff. Think of GW2.

You also craft weapons and stuff. It uses that time system so you need to wait like 2 hours or something for a weapon to be fully crafted. Unless you're willing to pay real money to speed up the process.
#4Epicness2012(Topic Creator)Posted 1/16/2014 9:59:55 AM
Kokuei05 posted...
It was garbage in closed beta. Didn't check in a couple months.

What didn't you llke about it? I heard it's been improving.

XianCe posted...
You run around and do missions that appear on the map. You also mine for stuff or whatever using this big drill thingy that you summon from the sky, but you need to protect it from mobs that spawn around it that try to destroy it.

There's no normal quests and stuff. Think of GW2.

You also craft weapons and stuff. It uses that time system so you need to wait like 2 hours or something for a weapon to be fully crafted. Unless you're willing to pay real money to speed up the process.

Sounds interesting. I'm probably gonna end up trying it soon.
---
Remember, citizens, bullets cost money and resources. Do your part by dying quickly
#5SnadadosPosted 1/16/2014 10:18:30 AM
Now this was from a number of months ago, but I felt I had rung every bit of meaningful content out of the game in less than 8 hours.

The map is really quite small and none of it was that interesting.
It isn't large enough to have really varied environments and enemies.
It is basically a small tropical island so what you see in one area is similar to what you'll see across the map.

Mining got repetitive and boring very quickly but you have to do it a lot if you want to upgrade any of your equipment.

The amount of time and resources you need to upgrade a single piece of your equipment was just awful and the upgrade was hardly noticeable.
I played for roughly 10-12 hours and by then I had been able to upgrade only a single piece to equipment for a single class on my character and if there weren't damage numbers I would not have been able to tell that the upgrade did anything.
My weapon basically went from doing , say, 39 damage a shot to 41 damage a shot.
To upgrade my weapon again looked like I'd need twice as much material for a similar 1 or 2 point damage upgrade.
If it had been a super fast shooting machine gun the damage upgrade might have been alright but it was a relatively slow shooting turret.
---
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?
#6Treason686Posted 1/16/2014 11:05:24 AM
Snadados posted...
Now this was from a number of months ago, but I felt I had rung every bit of meaningful content out of the game in less than 8 hours.

The map is really quite small and none of it was that interesting.
It isn't large enough to have really varied environments and enemies.
It is basically a small tropical island so what you see in one area is similar to what you'll see across the map.

Mining got repetitive and boring very quickly but you have to do it a lot if you want to upgrade any of your equipment.

The amount of time and resources you need to upgrade a single piece of your equipment was just awful and the upgrade was hardly noticeable.
I played for roughly 10-12 hours and by then I had been able to upgrade only a single piece to equipment for a single class on my character and if there weren't damage numbers I would not have been able to tell that the upgrade did anything.
My weapon basically went from doing , say, 39 damage a shot to 41 damage a shot.
To upgrade my weapon again looked like I'd need twice as much material for a similar 1 or 2 point damage upgrade.
If it had been a super fast shooting machine gun the damage upgrade might have been alright but it was a relatively slow shooting turret.

I tried it last fall 2012, and this was the feeling I got. I checked back periodically, and there has been next to no progress in over a year. Recently, Red5 (The developer) fired the CEO and project lead, thank goodness. There were many bad things said about the guy:

Former employees who worked under Kern have continued to write about their experiences in the company on Glassdoor, and one confirmed employee summarised his view of the events on Reddit.

According to the insider on Reddit, Kern's attention frequently wandered from game development into video production, where he spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on camera equipment, production staff, and big-name actors to star in the unsuccessful Firefall Fest video series. Though Kern brought some big investors with him when he came on board, the insider claims that he quickly got bored of Firefall and used the studio to fund his hobby. He reportedly showed up to the office occasionally to make sweeping and destructive changes to Firefall.

Source:http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/12/30/not-so-massively-diablo-iiis-nephalem-rifts-poe-season-six-a/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Massively+(Massively)

Anyway, the guy was fired (or resigned, according to him), so maybe there will be some actual progress now.
---
PC: Core i7 920 || 6GB DDR3 || GTX 660 Ti || HP w2408h
#7Epicness2012(Topic Creator)Posted 1/16/2014 11:23:17 AM
Interesting. That guy sounds horrible.

And i do recall noticing a common complaint about the game is it's lack of content. It looks really cool and seems like it has a lot of potential, i hope they can actually progress now.
---
#8PhilOnDezPosted 1/16/2014 12:00:59 PM
When I tried it out Medics and Assault were just brokenly overpowered, if you weren't playing one of those two you were just cannon fodder. Assault had an AoE launcher thing that would kill you in 2 shots whether they scored a direct hit or not, medics could kill nearly that fast and could heal faster than anything but another medic or assault could deal damage. Basically they would heal then kill you while you reloaded.

It was bad enough that I had no hope whatsoever for the game, it honestly felt like short of a complete overhaul there wasn't any saving the game. Maybe with new people in charge there's a chance for that to happen but I don't care enough to give it another shot.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez